Did I get turned into a kid while I slept?

Kit_

Cathlete
Okay the past few weeks I’ve been hitting back to school / half price sales that are happening around here. And more and more I keep being re-directed to the kid’s department. Foot Looker Ladies only carries size 6 and up, with one 5 1/2 that has to be mailed to my house I can’t even try it on. If I want more choices then one shoe, I need to go down to Kid’s footlocker as they now carry size 6 and smaller.

Wal-mart has moved all pants that are size 5 and smaller to the kids’ section, as well as the bras under 36c to the kids’. Which is very annoying as I was using it as a quick fix stop. Now I have to run all the way to the back of the store and deal with screaming children. I have yet to figure out why kids just scream in that section, the clothes aren’t that bad looking. I usually just grab a pair of jeans, or a workout clothes due to mine, breaking, getting snagged, etc and don’t have the time to go all the way home. And refuse to pay the prices of the chic shops around the college. There just isn’t anyway you’ll get me to spend $300 for a pair of running shorts, that look and feel the same as the ones I buy for $20.

The stores in the mall, you better go play the lotto if you find a size 1 or 0 and it fits. Forget about quality or price or variety, as you’re lucky to find one in that size, out of 30 different clothes stores.

Is this happening else where? Or is it because there are so many over weight people here? We were voted the # 1 city in the US with the most over weight population, by the NY times. So no I’m not exaggerating. But now I'm not sure, if the stores around here are going to be dedicated to the larger people and forget about the smaller ones. Or what is going on.

I just wasn't expecting at the age of 28 to be shopping in the kids' section for myself. And having to fight off the mom’s and little kids for my clothes. Not to mention to find basic adult looking clothes in that area. I feel sorry for my mother as well, as she's in the same boat as I am. Just a bit taller and longer leged so it's not possible to even think of her wearing a kid's pair of pants. I guess it's now mail-order only here.

Kit

Since I wear an x-large right now, I don't have your dilemma (wish I did).LOL My husband can go to any store and buy his shorts in boys large. That is how narrow his hips are. The length doesn't matter as he's going for the running type shorts. A lot of people have been bagging wal-mart on the way they look, the sales are way down compared to Target and they also said the brand of clothing is better at Target than at wal-mart, they say you get more up to date styles at Target. The manager at my wal-mart said that for those reasons they are trying to make our wal-marts in Az look better. They are putting "pergo looking" flooring just wherre the clothes are and leaving the rest lynoleum looking tile, painting the walls and redoing some of the counters. Maybe wal-mart has some kind of code for their departments as far as what is going to go where and such. Or maybe they think that those sizes will sell better in those other departments. One time we were in wal-mart getting diapers and some ladies kid was crying. My daughter at the time was 6 and she looked at that lady and said,"You need to whip him!" I was sooo embarassed. The lady just looked at her and walked off.

Kit,

I'm not quite as small as you but it is rediculous. I have never been a size 4 pants in my life but I am at Old Navy, Gap & Bannana Republic. It's just a bit rediculous.

~Chrissy~

"Wal-mart has moved all pants that are size 5 and smaller to the kids’ section, as well as the bras under 36c to the kids’."

Kit, this quote makes no sense. You mean if a woman wears a size 34C, her bras would be in the children's section? What kind of kids are we talking about here??

Regarding the shoe sizes, I have found that shoe sizes are getting bigger. A shoe store owner told me that feet are getting bigger, and my size, 7, which used to be average, is now considered to be small.

And anything under size 5 is in the kids section? It really does sound like this is the result of American obesity. It's pretty sad, and very frustrating for someone as petite and fit as you!

Do you have a Kohl's or a Mervyns near you? They usually carry some juniors-sized clothes I can wear without looking ridiculous. What about a Talbots or Petite Sophisticates? If you hit these stores at the right times of the year, you'll find wearable pieces that will last you a long time. Also, Ross, TJMaxx and Marshalls have clothes and workout gear (this is where I usually get mine) that fit petite women.

I also check the girl's department sometimes to find clothes that fit me. Screaming children and mothers are a part of life, and a part of the shopping experience at such places. Children scream all the time -- sometimes we mothers can't help such behavior. Believe me, we do DO something about it and we are embarassed when our kids behave that way. Try to hit Wal-Mart and Target really early in the morning or late at night when mothers and kids are at home. Many of these stores stay open at ungodly hours, so there's a lot of time during the day to drop by without the hassle of bumping into mothers and children.

Pinky

I was shopping at Target yesterday and I went over to the clothing section to see what was new and I too discovered that I am a size 4 in jeans (Levi's and Mosimo - not sure of the spelling) last season I wore a size 6. I had to buy the size 4's I'll still wear the size 6's I have though they'll just be a little loose.

Linda

Thanks everyone :)

Piinky thanks for the info on the stores, I’ve shopped at most of them, or they’ve went out of business like Khols and Talbots. As for the shopping hours, I don't have a lot of choice, I live in a religious community, which actually has a law about most stores having to close by 9 pm and can only open at 9 am at the earliest. The mall actually closes at 8 pm weekdays and Saturday and 6 pm on Sunday. And I know a lot of mothers do try to keep their kid from screaming. It's just with very sensitive hearing it can give me a migraine in a matter of minutes, and since it’s the kid’s sections that’s were the kids are.

And yes Nancy, if you wear a 34 C you’d find your bras at the kid’s section in my wal-mart. There are a lot of really big girls around here, a lot of the kids are more the 50 pounds over weight. I seen a little girl probably 3 or 4, already had a tummy like she was 7 months pregnant, and was trying to stick it even more, to look like her Mommy, who I’m not even going to guess if she was PG or just over weight, or a mixture of both. And yes I just found out about the shoes getting bigger, I just got my 5 ½ in the mail, and they are much bigger then my 5 ½ that I got during the spring sale and it’s the same exact shoe just new colors. So I’ll be forced into the kid’s shoes within a couple of months when I go looking for another pair.

At least it sounds more like it’s around here, and I might have a chance of finding clothes if I take a drive to Ohio and go shopping, I use to have to drive for four hours to go shopping so an hour and a half shouldn’t be too bad. I know for the fact the more up North I go, everything gets bigger. When my family ran up to Mackinaw for the weekend, I seen a 7 X Large and thought it was a gag gift, after getting on the boat to take you across the island, I realized how wrong I was about that 7 X being a gag gift, and even on the island the shirts went up to a 10 X Large in size.

But another thing I’ve also noticed, is the actual size of clothes is getting bigger as well. If you take my grand mother’s size 3 that she bought when she was around my age, my mother’s size 3, and my size 3. Guess whose size 3 is the biggest? Mine. It’s nearly ½ inch on both sides bigger then my mothers, and a whole inch on both sides bigger then my grandmothers, basically mean mine’s a size an a half bigger over all. So my size 3 is like a size 5 back 60 years ago. Granted neither my mom or myself wear a size 3 except in certain cuts/styles now, but I’m amazed at how much bigger the sizes have gotten.

Kit

>Wal-mart has moved all pants that are size 5 and smaller to
>the kids’ section, as well as the bras under 36c to the kids’.

That seems a bit extreme!
How many b-cup kids are running around?

Kit,
I can totally relate. I wear a size 2.5 childrens shoe!! I do have to shop in the childrens sections, and I hate it! This world is built for giants and it's perfectly acceptable to become one. Thanks for the tip on finding bras. I'm a 32B. Try finding a 32. Now, if I needed a 40 something, there's plenty.

Susan!

A size 2.5 childrens shoe!!! That's tiny! I have amazon feel compared to you!!

~Marietta
FITXME

I usually have good luck in GapKids, Old Navy kids department but that's about it. I have the most trouble finding workout pants with a 28" inseam. Last year I bought a pair of zip-off windpants in the boys department at Old Navy. That was the best I could do and I'm not entirely thrilled with them. I even wrote to Moving Comfort since they only make stuff for women. All their inseams are 31" plus and I wanted to know why since we all know we come in a variety of shapes and sizes. They never replied to me. I am now boycotting them. I know Athleta has a few pairs of long pants in petite sizes but they are way $$$$$$.

--Lois

"If I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning" - Mahatma Ghandi

Susan,

I can totally relate, my mother is a 32B and if she was a 32 DD or DDD there are a ton, but 32B is like an endanger species or something. She grumbles about it when ever she needs to go bra shopping. And I’ll probably end up in a 32 B pretty soon, the more I work my chest and build muscle the skinner my chest keep getting.

Thank you Lois, we don’t have a Gap kid’s yet, it’s suppose to be going into the mall sometime. I say sometime as the sign for Gap Kid’s has been up for over 6 months. So hopefully that’ll give me another place to shop. I do hit Unlimited Too on occasion but they are so expensive. Even on their 40% off sale their jeans still run me about $28 a piece.

I'm glad I'm not alone in this.

Kit

Are you short too? What about petite sizes in a regular store? Sorry but I don't have this problem. But I do know that at one point my mom wore a 32C or D and had a dickens of a time finding that size bra.

Hope you find something that works for, I will NEVER have your problem,LOL!!:p

Sorry if someone already posted this but Target always has tons of size 0/1 clothes in the Junior section and so does Kohl's. It's NOT the kids section...just the teen section. JC Penny's usually does, too. All three are great for jeans and workout clothes and I have never had trouble finding 0/1's at Target or Kohl's.

As for 32C and 32D bras...Dillard's has some really nice ones for only $20 or $22! Wonderful selection and just as pretty as VS bras!

Midnight-

My best inseam is 27.5. I went to the local sporting goods store and one of the women who works there had the same inseam as me (even thought she was 5'6"!) and was able to guide me through all the merchandise.

There were certain brands she said to avoid altogether, although the names escape me at the moment. I was very surprised at all the stuff that worked though. I found a cute pair of Adidas Climalite workout pants that fit fine, and Danskin seemed to fit well too. I like Danskin because they have pants in so many styles it will make your head spin. There are 3 different fits for each style, so you can really pick and choose and tailor the cut to your figure so that they really flatter.

What I found is that there is no substitute for trying on. Just take your time, and try on everything!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.