Did anyone actually gain POUNDS in STS??!!

Clarissa

Cathlete
Uhm, because I did. I can't even say how much b/c I am so embarrassed. My DH did too, scale wise. I didn't retake my measurements yet, I am in Meso 3 with two weeks to go. Not sure if I am seeing results. I am learning that my body sees better results though thru circuits like Drill Max, etc. I have gained a bit on the scale though and I am quite upset. I am never concerned w/ the scale - and tell my clients to throw theirs away - but this is quite upsetting. I did lots of cardio on off days. Of course I eat pretty well, too. I know what to do, but I am wondering why my muscles are suddenly made of steel and weigh so much (?) TIA!

clarissa

i can't comment on gaining with STS as i have yet to complete the program due to my exercise ADD. LOL! Anyways, if you were in a caloric deficit and got your cardio in, its possible that you gained a bit of muscle and since your lifting heavy your muscles are swelled a bit with water. How are your clothes fitting you? I know how the number on the scale can be upsetting especially when you feel your doing everything right. If however your clothes are the same or loser or your actual measurements went down i wouldn't worry too much about the scale b/c that shows you great progress. Though, it is possible like you said that your body responds better to circuits (as mine does) The only way to find that out was to try STS all the way through and now you know so you can go on after you complete meso 3 to workouts that make your body the way you feel most comfortable. I'm not sure this helps or not but i hope it does a little.

Thanks. Well being a trainer - and a successful one -I know all this. But psychologically it is messing w/ me. I really feel thicker and NOT thinner...again, I'll take my measurements in a few weeks. I don't know...

Hi Clarissa,

I have experienced exactly what you are decribing...I dont' feel like STS is leaning me out like the other workouts did to my body. It's like my body responded - or I got the results I wanted- with muscle endurance, drill max, leaner legs ect. I'm miffed by this but I think that I'm going to go back to what worked for me instead of another STS round.

The only reason that I could come up with is that I did STS 3 days week, and prior to STS I would use Cathe's DVDs to work each body part 2/wk...so I lifted 6 days/wk.

Interesting.

Hi Clarissa,

I have experienced exactly what you are decribing...I dont' feel like STS is leaning me out like the other workouts did to my body. It's like my body responded - or I got the results I wanted- with muscle endurance, drill max, leaner legs ect. I'm miffed by this but I think that I'm going to go back to what worked for me instead of another STS round.

The only reason that I could come up with is that I did STS 3 days week, and prior to STS I would use Cathe's DVDs to work each body part 2/wk...so I lifted 6 days/wk.

Interesting.

yep!!! I am devastated... :(

this is me!!!

I know, I did not loose any weight ether, I know before sts my jeans size 4 were little bit loose but now they are so tide. The scale is another thing i'm heavy er, not fun:confused: I don't look bulky but I gain muscle on my chest, back, legs, butt, I don't have love handles that a + and I'm not going to worry about it because I like how I feel.(I'm doing meso 2 all over again):p;)
Maybe you want to share your measure this is mine.

5'4
38-30-38.

You think this has to be with age? What do you think?

worseenemy

You sound like you gained MUSCLE!!!! That is great. Cant have too much of that in my opinion, and I think it looks great. I appreciate that you like how you feel, that also translates as confidence.

Congradulations on results. I know your husband will enjoy;) all your hard work.

Perhaps if you all want to drop some water lower the carbs.

Thanks pinkquinn ,you are so sweet!
That's what i'm trying to do, lower my carbs.
I know some of my, how can i call them, there not my friend but I know this lady's, that think that I'm obsessed whit working out, and they think I look ugly. BUT you are right I don't care and that make me feel even more different to how they look.

Most gain in Meso 2

Hi,

I'm going through my second round of STS 3 mo rotation. I just finished Meso 2 and I gained weight this time, just as I had last time. Although I think both times it has been mostly water from the muscle hypertrophy.

However, if, like me before STS your rotations were cardio/weights like Drill Max, Body Max, Hi Step Challenge (or Jari Love) for "weights" days and straight cardio on the other days - well, that probably burned more calories. I think it takes a fair amount of time to gain enough muscle mass for one's metabolism to burn more at rest than one would doing cardio every day.

I am so much stronger now - that I feel that going through this is worth it, though it is hard to feel clothes becoming snugger after so much hard work. Last time, I started losing the weight about two weeks into Meso 3. (I think the plyo legs add another cardio session and that helps.) I am hopeful this will be the case again.

Read this article "Why exercise won't make you thin."

I found that I was hungrier while doing STS . . . I did 2 rounds and gained some weight. I found that, although I ate pretty clean, calorie intake adds up quickly. Read it and let me know what you think. Also, Time magazine did issue a correction the following week as they erroneously stated that you can turn fat into muscle. We all know that you can lose fat and build muscle, but you can't turn one into the other.
Another poster suggested that she gained weight because her body perceived the strenuous workouts as stressful, which increases cortisol levels and makes it harder to lose weight. Also, I think it is hard or impossible to achieve the muscle growth throughout the program while cutting calories. So every morsel of food that goes into our mouths while doing this program can only be high quality grains, protein and vegetables.
Having said all that, although I gained weight, I am very happy with my results. The link to the article is below:

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1914857,00.html

Last edited:
I was doing the 6 month rotation, I lost 8 pounds in the first 2 months then put all that back on plus another 5 pounds during meso 2. My clothes are tight and I feel lousy. I had to take 2 weeks off after meso 2 for various reasons and did a lot of cardio and circuit drills during this time. I was seeing some good results doing this so I decided to skip meso 3 and go back and do meso 1 again. I am in week 3 and feel so much better I guess my body also responds better to more cardio and circuit drills.

lworks, after this reading through this thread I would have to go ahead and say that you sound absolutely right. I'm guessing that over all the amount of calories lost prior to doing STS had to of been significantly more. Even with the benefit of added muscle....over time I bet it will balance out nicely though.

first i wanted to know how strict do you think one has to be to lose weight on STS? i don't think i could eat less than 1500cals per day. Second: i've done meso 2 as a circuit style before that i thought mabe some of you could try. Just lift a little lighter so that during your break you can do some cardio for the minute of rest they a lot you. Its very tireing but it did lean me out. I do better with circuits as well but it can be disheartening to never do STS again so this is an alternative

Thanks all for your suggestions and help. Kariev, I will try that. For real. Love to do plyos during rest anyway! I am an animal!! LOL!

Well, I have to say, today I found out that I have a severly underactive thyroid...so....maybe?? Maybe that is why the scale weight gain??

I'll keep you all posted.

Work work!!

Clarissa ;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.