diastasis repair and crunches

pianoann

Cathlete
Hi, Cathe!
I posted this in the Fitmoms forum, but haven't heard much and would really like your opinion if you have time. Here is my post. Thanks so much!

Hi everyone!
I am almost 34 weeks pregnant and I think I have a very small diastasis around my navel. I have been looking through Cathe's website and others for info on it, and on Julie Tupler's site (Lose Your Mommy Tummy) she says that you can't do crunches AFTER you repair your diastasis. Does anyone know if this means EVER again? I know Cathe still does them, and I can't imagine never doing a crunch again! I can't find any info on this other than HOW to do crunches with a splint while repairing the diastasis. Thanks for your help!

Hi, Cathe!
I posted this in the Fitmoms forum, but haven't heard much and would really like your opinion if you have time. Here is my post. Thanks so much!

Hi everyone!
I am almost 34 weeks pregnant and I think I have a very small diastasis around my navel. I have been looking through Cathe's website and others for info on it, and on Julie Tupler's site (Lose Your Mommy Tummy) she says that you can't do crunches AFTER you repair your diastasis. Does anyone know if this means EVER again? I know Cathe still does them, and I can't imagine never doing a crunch again! I can't find any info on this other than HOW to do crunches with a splint while repairing the diastasis. Thanks for your help!

Dear Piano Ann,

It is possible to do crunches after your diastasis has healed but if you have a diastasis it is wise to avoid crunches, especially oblique work (as this just makes a diastasis worse) post partum.

The best plan of attack would be to consult with a physical therapist that specializes in post natal care. Most diastases don't pose any problems and the greater majority of women close their diastasis nicely. This way you can be properly assessed and given a graded progression of exercises to master. Pilates is excellent but get some one on one advice first :)

Hope this helps
Liz N (exercise physiologist)

Dear Piano Ann,

It is possible to do crunches after your diastasis has healed but if you have a diastasis it is wise to avoid crunches, especially oblique work (as this just makes a diastasis worse) post partum.

The best plan of attack would be to consult with a physical therapist that specializes in post natal care. Most diastases don't pose any problems and the greater majority of women close their diastasis nicely. This way you can be properly assessed and given a graded progression of exercises to master. Pilates is excellent but get some one on one advice first :)

Hope this helps
Liz N (exercise physiologist)

Hi,
I wrote to Cathe a while back because 11 years after my last child, I was told by a physical therepist that I also have a diastes. Mine is small and I have been doing the Tupler method which has helped. I notice though that everytime I try to introduce crunches back into my ab routines that my lower abs begin to bulge again. This is very disappointing because I really enjoyed doing all of Cathe's ab work-outs. I hoped to hear a response from her on how she managed to recover from hers so well and can still do all those crunches and oblique twists. I really miss her 10-15 minute ab work-outs because the ones the PT has me doing take an hour or more sometimes because I have to do everything so slow and carefully. I hope for both of us that Cathe will see this and respond. Good luck and I will check back to see how well you are doing so that maybe we can share some advise.

Hi,
I wrote to Cathe a while back because 11 years after my last child, I was told by a physical therepist that I also have a diastes. Mine is small and I have been doing the Tupler method which has helped. I notice though that everytime I try to introduce crunches back into my ab routines that my lower abs begin to bulge again. This is very disappointing because I really enjoyed doing all of Cathe's ab work-outs. I hoped to hear a response from her on how she managed to recover from hers so well and can still do all those crunches and oblique twists. I really miss her 10-15 minute ab work-outs because the ones the PT has me doing take an hour or more sometimes because I have to do everything so slow and carefully. I hope for both of us that Cathe will see this and respond. Good luck and I will check back to see how well you are doing so that maybe we can share some advise.

Sheila Watkins from the postpartum board wrote me back to my home email and said that after the diastasis was repaired that you could do crunches. She also recommended a book for me. If you want me to forward her email (with an attachment on diastasis repair protocol) let me know your email and I will send it to you!
~Ann

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.