Depression from Vicodin?

wendybdh

Cathlete
To make a long story short, my dad just had major surgery for mesothelioma(cancer from asbestos exposure) last week and now he's in intense pain and he's on 2 Vicodin every 4 hours. He's normally a very upbeat person who wouldn't even think of giving up but he just told my mom today that he wants to give up. My DH seems to think that depression has alot to do with the Vicodin. Is there any truth to that?

I've taken Vicodin a few times, none as serious as your dad's but I'm gonna toss in my 2 cents, and some good thoughts for your dad. I have taken it for back, dental (root canals and wisdom teeth) and 2 knee surgeries. The only time it ever got to me was the 2nd knee surgery - I was in a total moody funk. Probably a depression - but never diagnosed. At times I thought it was the Vicodin but I also chalked it up to other things.

The surgery was expensive, I had ins, but I still had to pay for part.
My knee hurt like all get out and I thought it would never stop
I couldn't sleep bc my knee hurt, even w/ the Vicodin
Work stress was big at the time
PT hurt like a b........
I couldn't sleep bc I hurt
PT was slow goings at first and I thought it would never get better
Lots of Vicodin (2 every 3 ro 4 hours) was making me sleepy
Did I mention I couldn't sleep?
Living on caffiene bc I couldn't sleep
Missing workouts bc of knee surgery - missing w/o puts me in a funk

I actually almost feel asleep driving on the highway to work a few times, and one morning hit a curb near work bc I was so tired and hurting I couldn't focus. That made me mad and sad and feel kinda hopeless too.

I never had any problems w/ it any other time, but the 2nd knee surgery was the longest stretch I've ever taken Vicodin.

So, I don't think the Vicodin itself is causing the depression, but the funny, foggy, groggy, funk feeling from lots of pain killers is probably not helping any other issues. I imagine he is scared and he hurts, and probably isn't sleeping well. Is worried about his finances, his wife, his kids, his estate and all that.

I think its a bit of everything.

Best wishes to you and your family, and I hope it all turns out ok

Nan

Thanks basically what I was thinking-that there are just so many factors that it's hard to pinpoint just one. He's in a hospital 3 hours away, he's very groggy-dozes in and out all day long, isn't sleeping well, is in pain, not to mention he still has a chest tube, IV's etc. and probably has alot on his mind. I guess I'd be depressed too and the way the vicodin makes him feel surely doesn't help. Thanks.

So sorry to hear you and your family are going through this.

I've had a lot of oral surgery in my life, and taken a lot of Vicodin, and in my experience you feel great the first day, and then by the second day it starts to bother your stomach and make you dizzy. The side effects can be unpleasant.

If it were my Dad, I would speak to his doctor about switching to another pain killer, and I would mention Morphine in particular. The few times I've been hospitalized with lower back pain, Morphine was an absolute wonder drug. I was happy, relaxed and pain free for days at a time without any unpleasant side effects. There's no reason your Dad should be in pain, but sometimes you have to be an aggressive advocate with doctors and nurses. Doctors in particular will never have the time to meet with you or listen to you unless you get aggressive with them. Get in there and advocate! The patient with the most vocal family gets the most care, in my opinion. And it can't do any harm.

Best wishes to you and your family.

(((Wendy))) I am so sorry you and your family have to go through this and I will keep you all in my thoughts.

I just want to say hospitals are depressing in general. People lose track of time, sometimes people are in areas where there isn't any daylight, they are stuck to machines and being poked and prodded all night by nursing staff. The food.....The boredom..... Yuck!

When my mom was in the hospital the morphine gave her the crazy shakes and made her itch after about two days. Everyone is different...we tried a few different options until we could find a happy medium between pain control and unpleasant side effects.

Last edited:
I am sorry for what you and your family are going through.

I did want to add that my Dad was taking pain killers and he, too, felt depressed and like giving up. Once he stopped he felt better emotionally.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.