Debating on where to live/move - need advice!

Candiceena

Cathlete
Hi girls,

Im hoping some of you could shed some light on my situation...I am going to be moving soon. I currently live approx 25 minutes from work, but with traffic, it can be closer to 45min - 1 hr.

I'm having a hard time deciding on where to move. I can move somewhere that is right across the street from my work (literally) but is not in as walkable of an area (there are some shops, a gym, a post office, and a Starbucks, but they don't have a grocery store or drug store within walking distance). Of course, the upside would be that I could walk to work (barring severe weather).

My other option is to move to the city, which would be much more walkable, there is a grocery store/drug store very close to the apartments I'm considering, and also a gym, coffee shops, restaurants, shopping, etc...except for I would have to drive to work. The commute is 20 minutes w/o traffic and with traffic could be upwards of an hour if not more.

It seems like it's obvious - move to the apartment right next to my work. However, I really have a strong desire to live in the city...I THINK. I say I think because I've never actually lived in the city. I like the idea of walkability but I don't know how much I would actually be walking to any place other than the grocery store because a) I don't work out at a gym, I work out at home and b) I don't drink so I wouldn't really be going out to the bars/restaurants that much.

I was wondering if any of you had any advice or personal anecdotes...I'm not in a rush to make a decision but I do want to make a decision sooner rather than later! :) Thanks in advance girls!

I would live near work and use your time you would have spent commuting to do something fun!
Beth

I totally agree with Beth! I would live close to work. Just a few months ago I had to give up a great job with a terrific salary because the commute was just killing me and my family. Commuting is totally stressful and soooo takes away from ones quality of life. Just think, you spend somewhere in the vicinity of 8 hours commuting every week, from what you posted.

Just think of what you could do with all that time if you live right by work. Life is so short and time is a valuable, unpurchase-able commodity ( to use bad grammar). So, you won't live next to a store...you could still go to the store once a week or twice a week and still be ahead on time saved!

Best wishes

I've had the opportunity to do both.

When I was in grad school I was a 30-40 min walk to school - loved to walk in and did so from spring to fall. There was a shuttle that I used during the winter and at night. It was a great way to get in exercise and have some time to myself.

I also lived in Boston for two years and loved it. I'm glad I lived alone and in a city for a time in my life. It was fun to be near everything. I wouldn't be drawn to living in a big city at this stage of my life but would consider it for retirement (this is a big trend lately).

Good luck in your decision!

Get the place close to your work. You will save so much time. You would only need those other services 1x/2x/week. You will be much happier.

I'd get the place close to work. You'd be gaining hours of free time every week. Also, now is probably not your only chance to live in the city. There will probably be an opportunity somewhere down the road to live in the city when it will make sense on every level.

You guys have made some totally on-point points! Especially about having a chance to live in the city during another point in life, when it makes complete and total sense. That is so true. I guess I never thought of it that way.

Thanks for the advice. I also didn't really think about the time saved (more time to work out with Cathe - DUH! lol). You gals are the best! I will keep you posted.

Your instinct urges you to try the city, I say GO FOR IT! If you live there, the opportunity to go out, explore, try out new things, have new experiences, meet new people is there, waiting for you. You don't know what you might want to do until you try the city and the opportunities present themselves. Living close to work sounds, to me, quite frankly: DULL. Convenient as heck, but not setting the world on fire. Settle for easy and convenient later on. For now, experience the city, while you are young enough and have enough energy to appreciate it.

Don't plan your life around your workouts. That is not the path to enduring happiness.

Clare

This is an interesting thread. Factors that might enter in the decision include job stability, finances, and quality of life. Moving near work makes sense only if you plan to stay at the same workplace for the foreseeable future. Your auto insurance and repair costs may plummet if you no longer rely on a car for commuting. The city is appealing, but not if you are sensitive to noise (e.g., trash trucks in the wee hours of the morning, rowdy bar patrons at closing time). Time is a valuable commodity (many would say priceless because you cannot buy more of it). Please let us know what you decide.

I have always been a small town/country girl, so I think living in a city could be a really neat experience. (My husband and kids would never agree with me on that and I would never do that with kids.)

On the flip side, my husband commutes 50 miles one-way to work which is also where I do my major shopping. Living close to work would be a big money savings on fuel! Along with freeing up a lot of time.

So your priorities at this time in your life could be the deciding factor.

Your instinct urges you to try the city, I say GO FOR IT! If you live there, the opportunity to go out, explore, try out new things, have new experiences, meet new people is there, waiting for you. You don't know what you might want to do until you try the city and the opportunities present themselves. Living close to work sounds, to me, quite frankly: DULL. Convenient as heck, but not setting the world on fire. Settle for easy and convenient later on. For now, experience the city, while you are young enough and have enough energy to appreciate it.

Don't plan your life around your workouts. That is not the path to enduring happiness.

Clare

I am TOTALLY with Clare on this one. Realistically, for most people, there are only a few windows in your life when you can live in a city - given you said you really want to, this is the time to do it! If you don't do it now, it might be another 20 years before you can consider it again... Living right across the street from work is convenient, but then you entire life revolves around your work. Is that what you want???? Unless of course that location has other fun attributes that you like to live hear.

If work weren't in the equation, where would you choose to live? Option 1 or 2? I'd personally go with that answer.

My vote is CITY!! Living across the street from work may feel like you never go anywhere or do anything! (except work)

On the days that your commute is long, use the time as "me-time" or explore the world of podcasts and learn new things. (they have podcasts on every subject imaginable!). (or ask for a flexible schedule and come in later/earlier to beat some of the traffic.)

Good luck!
Liz

I was born and raised in Toronto, Canada (population - 3 million). I also worked in the heart of downtown Toronto (walked by the CN Tower every day). Working in the downtown core was incredible! Some of the best years of my life that I will always remember and NEVER regret. For an energetic, young, 20 something gal w/no children, this was an ideal lifestyle for me. My commute was also fairly long, ranging anywhere from 30min-1hr+ depending on rush hour traffic. I chose to take public transit (subway, bus) and would spend that time sipping my morning coffee, reading books, listening to music. I enjoyed my life tremendously. However, after I had my daughter, the desire to live in the city was not so strong anymore. To make a long story short, I'm now living in a small town, 45min north of the city. My instincts were to move away from the hustle and bustle, focus on raising my daughter until she starts school, enjoy the quiet, keep things simple. Bottom line: follow your instincts and your heart. Do whatever YOU feel will fulfill your life and make you happy. And in my opinion, exercise is supposed to ENRICH your life, not BE your life. Get out there and explore all the wonderful things this world has to offer :).

Good luck!

Last edited:
I say the city! I have a similar situation. I live 25min from work. I work at a hosptial in a smaller town and live in the city. Although I love working there I couldn't imagine living there. I'm sure I would find something to do but there are way more things to suit my interests in the city. I actually enjoy the ride on the way to work. I drink my coffee and listen to music. I must admit the way home is harder. I just want to get home but I still wouldn't have it any other way. Work is just work. Go with where you would have the most fun and want to live your life.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.