Day Hiking (Trekking) Shoe Recommendations

Can anyone recommend brand/model for a day hike in the jungle. It will be hot and humid so insulation isn't needed. I don't need a waterproof pair since we'll be stopping for a swim in the waterfall.

I'd like a pair that has these features:
*soft lug to release mud quickly
*drain water and dry quickly (don't need to be waterproof)
*breathable
*good traction for wet slippery surfaces
*lightweight

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Wendy

My husband and I have had hiking boots from numerous brands over our 20 year history of hiking together. The best brand, hands down, is Merrell. They are comfy right out of the box and have never given me blisters. They last a long time, perform well and are available in a range of styles to suit different terrain/climate/distance requirements.

Any online shoe store can sell them to you, but if you can find a local stockist, this is better because you will need to try some on to work out what size you take in a Merrell boot. For example, I wear an 8 or 8 1/2 street shoe, but a 9 in a Merrell boot. Take your hiking socks with you to the store to get an accurate reading of size and remember feet swell as the day goes by, especially hiking, so a pair that fits snugly in the store could end up cramping your feet on a long day hike, especially in heat. Oddly, if backpacking, socks get "thinner" with repeated day use as they get embedded with sweat and just wear, so boots often feel a little snugger on the first day when you set out or after a change of socks!

Clare

hiking shoes

I used to sell hiking boots/shoes at REI a few years back, so I have been through this before.

Well, the most important questions are what kind of day hike? How many miles? carrying a small daypack or larger? and when do you need the shoes?

The jungle, with all that humidity, indicate a hiking sandal might work better. Keen's are popular because they have a covered toe (they run wide in the toe box) and provide good coverage, as well as double as a water shoe. Merrel's are also popular (medium-wide), as well as the traditional Teva's. Everyone's foot is different; you just have to try them all on to see what fits your foot.

Lightweight hiking boots/shoes: even non-waterproof ones will be hot and your feet will sweat. I'd bring extra socks to change em and keep the feet drier. I would go and try them on at a store, and hopefully be able to wear them around for a week to see if they fit before your trip so you can trya new pair if you need to. I'd lean more towards a trail running shoe (lightweight) because they are more breathable as long as you find one with a decent tread. Solomon has a good series of trail runners with quick lacing (solomon's run wide). Montrail's trailrunners do run wide but have a particular fit. I always love New Balances, and they come in different widths. Addidas makes some nice ones as well, and they run wide, too. Vasque's almost all run narrow, and they have nice degredations from trail runner to light hiking.

If this a heavy duty hike with lots of rough terrain, go for a light hiker with ankle support. leather is durable, but will be hot. fabric will breathe better but be less durable. I'd just go shopping and be prepared to spend a few hours trying on shoes. And please don't try on one pair and go with them; try on anywhere from 4-8 pairs to get a good idea on how they all fit and walk around in them, do stairs, jump up and down, etc.

Have fun on your trip!
Cindy

Cindy & Claire

Thanks for the recommendations and advice! :) I'm planning on the Klong Son & Elephant Trek:
http://iamkohchang.com/2009/activities/land-activities-2/jungle-trekking.html

I'll be carrying a small daypack. There isn't any information available to say how far we will trek; only that we will climb a mountain 500 meters above sea level. I don't think it will be too difficult???:eek:

I have a couple of weeks to break in any shoes I may buy. I was thinking of a sandal at first. But, wasn't sure if I would get blisters if I didn't wear socks.

There's an REI and several stores selling Merrell close to where I live.

Thanks again!
Wendy

edited to add: There's some pictures of people on the hike. They are all wearing different style of shoes. One lady is wearing sandals. I think that might not be the best type of shoe considering that the climb up the mountain???

Last edited:
Looking at these photos, I would NOT go with the sandal: lack of support and comfort, aching feet, possible snakes and lots of creepy crawlies.....

I would go for the light day hiker or the trail running shoe, as those 3 men have done. My husband and I usually take an old pair of sandals with us for foot security and comfort during river crossings.

Clare

Merrell's have the arch in the wrong spot for me and are very uncomfortable. I swear by Lowa's. So, everyone is different. I also think a good pair a Keen's might work well, although as Claire pointed out, there are creepy crawlies. Keen's have pretty enclosed sandals that provide just enough ventilation to help keep your feet cooler and there is no law saying you cannot wear wicking socks with them. I wear Keens for Cycling and LOVE them.

Happy feet are good

I saw several people in sandals in those pics.
Blisters from sandals shouldn't be a concern simply because they are sandals. If they fit well and are broken in, that won't be an issue.
And I doubt that the 'climbing' the mountain disqualifies sandals; uneven terrain and weak ankles are more of a concern indicating ankle support is needed than merely elevation gain. Only you can decide if you need ankle support in this instance. I backpack with very light ankle support and a 45 lbs pack, and hiking in sandals is normal for me, but I have strong ankles. If you are someone who is prone to rolling your ankle, then you probably need ankle support. the sports sandals will all have tread specific for water traction. you just need to break them in to see if there are any hot spots. I'd recommend the keen h2 style that fits to your foot with neoprene.

The thing with a trail runner is that, based on the pics, is that they look like will end up being wet most of the trip with all the streams and humidity. They might partially dry out over time, but your socks will stay wet. Your feet and socks will be wet most of the time. Wet socks on wet feet are very likely to cause blisters :( I'd be more likely to go with a waterproof trail runner and an extra pair of socks that you can change into if needed.

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but you can also carry a pair of sports sandals in your pack just in case, and start off with another choice of footwear. I have done this when my boots weren't waterproof and would change footwear for water crossings. :) I also take sandals along when breaking in new boots; I did some hiking in the Swiss Alps in sports sandals because I got blisters from my boots.

Cindy

For hikers, I keep coming back to Hi-Tec. I have several pairs of Merrell shoes that I love, but I keep gravitating to Hi-Tec's for hiking.

Thanks Beavs, Gayle, Cindy, Claire and Christine!!!:)

I appreciate all the information. It's good to know that blisters shouldn't be a concern with sandals. I don't think the bugs and critters would mind seeing me in socks with sandals either. :D

Beavs, I will look into future purchases with LLBean. I'd like to try shoes out in person for this trip. With six children, I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunities for me to shop with them.:)

Cindy, You are a wealth of information concerning hiking shoes. Thanks for putting up with my inarticulate, middle-of-the-night posts! :cool:

I'm leaning towards the Keen sandals with socks if needed. I have two flights back to Bangkok and onto Chiang Mai the next day, and don't want to pack a pair of damp shoes.

Thanks again!
Wendy

Last edited:
Oooo, . . looks like fun. You've already been given a wealth of information. I'm with Christine with the Merrels they just don't fit me right but Bear Grylls from Man vs. Wild swears by them. I love my Salomon's water proof, supportive, have great traction but I hike in Northern California. I grew up on an island and I totally agree with the poster who mentioned creepy crawlies, . . . .I've never been to Thialand but on the islands I've been to they have roaches the size of rats and spiders the size of dinner plates. I highly reccomend bug spray and although the waterfalls look beautiful I would still reccomend wearing some sort of sandal I steped on a fresh water crab once and it hurt like heck. Most importantly have fun, take pictures and let us all know how it goes. I hear that the food is absolutely excellent. I am so jealous.

Janie,

Thanks for being happy for me. I plan on taking pictures. I'd love to blog about it, but that sounds like work! ;) I hear you about the large bugs. I've been to Thailand (mainland) before and the bugs there are HUGE! Large enough to feed a family of four!:eek::D:D I can only imagine how large they can grow on the islands. I'll be sure to keep something on my feet if I go in the water.

Wendy

This hike sounds amazing! I am extremely jealous. All my hikes have been on extremely challenging terrain. I used to have Hi-Tecs, but I felt every rock through the sole, so now I have La Sportivas, which I mostly love. They are waterproof, though. I would strongly recommend going to the store, trying on five million pairs or so, taking your choice home, and wearing them while you do things like working out in them to see if they are still the right pair for you. I took my shoes back three times before settling on the La Sportivas. I have very odd feet to fit, though.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.