Dark Knight (No Spoilers!)

sparrow13

Cathlete
Those who've seen, what did you think? I really liked it, although I did not think it was as good as Batman Begins. That was more dark and sinister, this one more blockbuster action-y. Heath Ledger did a great job - I thought he might overplay it, since the Joker is an over-the-top character anyway, but he took it right to the edge - fantastic!!

And of course, there is Christian Bale.
smoochattack.gif

Sparrow

Loved it. Christian Bale was great as were Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman. Heath Ledger did an excellent job, too. The only thing with the Joker character was I kept thinking of Jack Nicholson...didn't he play the Joker in the 90s? All in all the movie was excellent.

Loved it. Christian Bale was great as were Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman. Heath Ledger did an excellent job, too. The only thing with the Joker character was I kept thinking of Jack Nicholson...didn't he play the Joker in the 90s? All in all the movie was excellent.

Yes, Jack Nicholson played the joker with one of the Batman movies. I'm having a hard time seeing Heath portray the Joker since I love Jack Nicholson, but I think Heath did a great job. I haven't seen it yet, but have seen lots of previews. I can't wait to actually see this movie.

I really liked it. I would like to see it again. We have a theater here in Tempe with a huge screen. I think it's one of the biggest in the country. I saw it on Friday morning but didn't have a great seat. It was packed. The line for the next showing (2pm) went out the door and around the building. Make sure you use the bathroom right before it starts and don't drink a lot 'cause it's 2 1/2 hours long.

Heath Ledger as the joker was fantastic.

Gabrielle

I remember the first time I saw the trailer being so impressed with the Joker, and having no idea it was Heath Ledger under all that makeup.

I'd love to go see this but alas, my old man knees won't allow it. :( So jealous.

I went to see it Sunday night. Heath Leadger was incredible! I would see it again just to see him as the Joker. He was not what I was expecting at all, but he was just simply mesmerizing in that role. OTOH, It was very dark, and I was bit creeped out by the whole thing. I took my 11 YO DS and it was a bit too frightening for him. They really pushed the PG-13 rating. I was confused on some of the parts but that could be because I didn't see Batman Begins.

Regarding PG-13 Rating

I went to see it Sunday night. Heath Leadger was incredible! I would see it again just to see him as the Joker. He was not what I was expecting at all, but he was just simply mesmerizing in that role. OTOH, It was very dark, and I was bit creeped out by the whole thing. I took my 11 YO DS and it was a bit too frightening for him. They really pushed the PG-13 rating. I was confused on some of the parts but that could be because I didn't see Batman Begins.

I was thinking about taking my 11 & 13 year olds but DH had heard that parts of it were pretty rough and they were pushing the PG-13 rating. Thanks for confirming this.

Sue

I was thinking about taking my 11 & 13 year olds but DH had heard that parts of it were pretty rough and they were pushing the PG-13 rating. Thanks for confirming this.

Sue

We took our 9 and 13 year olds to see it, no problem. I didn't really think it was that violent, but that is just me.:)

Thanks for your input, Michelle. Guess I'll just have to see it myself first to decide just how "rough" it is.

Sue

I would have given it an "R" rating, but imagine they didn't because it would have affected their audience numbers and therefore the $$$. I normally don't pay much attention to moving ratings and content/violence doesn't bother me, but I can see a lot of 13 yr olds who could be creeped out by this. Def a LOT darker and violent than the previous installments. We had some kids who looked to be in the 4-6 range in the theater (quite a few, actually) and they had NO business being there. Just because its a "superhero" or "comic" movie doesn't mean kids need to be there. That being said, was a really good movie. I didn't see Batman Begins, but DH did, I may need to rent it.

As a side note, apparantly Christian Bale was arrested for drugs a beating up his mom and gf today. Sad, sad sad

Last edited:
As a side note, apparantly Christian Bale was arrested for drugs a beating up his mom and gf today. Sad, sad sad

He was questioned on "allegations" that he assaulted his mother and sister in London. He denies it though and after being brought in and questioned, he wasn't charged. I didn't see any mention of drugs in any of the reports though - where'd you hear that? I really hope it isn't true. I've always liked him. :( He's happily married with a little girl too. I say innocent until proven guilty. ;)

I love it,this movie is good,the joker great but Chistian Bale is a cuty.
Thas true that he was arrested? for drugs?thas bad and sad....

I agree it was more violent than others I have seen. I wasn't sure how far they would take it so I watched some of it through my fingers :D I thought Heath Ledger really stole the show. It made me sad all over again that he passed. He played crazy really well :p Can you believe it made $155 million over three days? Crazy!

Go if you must but of course I would recommend Mamma Mia over Batman:p

He was questioned on "allegations" that he assaulted his mother and sister in London. He denies it though and after being brought in and questioned, he wasn't charged. I didn't see any mention of drugs in any of the reports though - where'd you hear that? I really hope it isn't true. I've always liked him. :( He's happily married with a little girl too. I say innocent until proven guilty. ;)

ITA. Who knows what happened. I didn't see any mention of drugs either?

Sparrow

Dh is determined to take our 3 oldest children (ds13, almost 14, dd11, and dd9). I am having serious reservations about the girls seeing it after reading reviews. I loved Batman Begins and I'll probably like this one, but it sounds much scarier. I think I'm going be overruled--the girls are begging to see it and dh is more relaxed than me.

So, I just do NOT want to hear about how they are afraid to go into the basement or whatever because the joker might be lurking down there...

Sighhhhh.....I just know I'm going to be dealing with the fallout....

Maggie

DH and I really like Chistian Bale too, did you happen to see equilibrium? Awesome movie! I agree innocent until proven guilty.....

DH wants to see this movie....prehaps this weekend.....

I am sorry that I am bringing this up in this thread but here goes...

Many of you have mentioned bringing kids to this movie and I think that is fine. When my DH and I went to see it Saturday it was our first time out without the babies in months. I love my girls dearly but I do need a break from them once in a while. Someone actually brought a 3 year old to the movie and the kid cried throughout the movie. I tried not to let it bother me but I was annoyed that I just paid $20 to get away from my crying. Is that really appropriate? Thanks for letting me vent.

Like I posted earlier, the movie was awesome!

Mabdoo - You would think there would be a rule or something against bringing a 3 years old to a PG13 movie. That would have really ticked me off too and it's not fair to the poor kid to be put through that movie. I would have been terrified at that age. :(

Amelia - I did see him in Equilibrium and I LOVED it. Such an underrated movie!

I thought Dark Knight was really great. Even thought the movie was long, I felt like they had too many smaller characters and I did not get as much Batman vs. Joker as I would prefer.

I think PG-13 was a good rating. You cannot really quantify "scariness" or "darkness". 13 year olds should (you know your young teens better than I) be able to handle the movie. There was not a lot of nudity or language. The movie was very violent, but the camera did not explicitly show most of the violence (ex: you see one criminal pointing a gun at another criminal and might hear a gunshot, and might later see a body, but no shot, blood, gore, etc). Exception: special effect on Dent were really grotesque. I would highly recommend that parents pre-view the movie before letting their kids see. There are some really great conversation starter/teaching moments that can be pulled from the movie if that is your parenting style.

The acting was great, the effects were great, and the plot was solid.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.