Damage Control May 2018

Sounds like you're in a good place with the re-fi and your workouts. I ended up taking Sunday off from working out. My hip was hurting a lot and I think it was from ICE MTB on Saturday. Today it's feeling a little better after lots of stretching and foam rolling.

Got some books sorted and some cleaning done. I have been sleeping horribly, lately, so have not had much energy. I think it's partly depression about being able to find a new job and anxiety about staying at my current job. What a great combo. We did have fun playing cards Saturday night!

I don't know what I'm doing today, yet.

Beth

This morning I did a BR w/o and at lunch I did STS D7-CSB. Biceps are my weakest link. I had to lower my weight on the barbell exercises, but managed the db one's just fine. Oh, my blood work came back. My white blood cell count is still low and my cholesterol is up. My HDL is very good, but the LDL has been inching up the past few years. Her notes said to get 30 minutes of cardiovascular exercise each day (walking), decrease red meat and full fat dairy. The hot flashes are getting worse and keeping me from getting a good nights sleep. I'm looking forward to 3 day weekend. I do get 10 days off (holidays), but from Jan 1st to May 28th is a very long time.

I'm sorry you are so stressed. Have you tried any deep breathing exercises? I think working in a Dr. Office would be less stressful, but I don't that for certain. I hope something comes through for you soon.

Yesterday was a BR w/o in the morning and walk in the evening. These nightly hot flashes are just getting worse. I feel like I need a cooling pad to sleep on. It's been really draining my energy. Today will be the next sts disc and walking. Just getting in my steps has been challenging, but I've been getting it done. Oh, our loan closing is scheduled for Friday. I think that means the funds will be released on 5/31. DH is home sick, he has a terrible cold and is super grumpy.

What are you up to?

Tuesday I did PUB. I'm with you on weak biceps-Cathe starts with 10's in that workout-I start with 5's! Pleasantly sore today, though. I might go to the pool today and then do lower body tomorrow. DH is finally starting to paint the kitchen! It's been over 20 years since its been painted. Plus when we had the water come through the recessed light...it definitely needs some attention. He went and got supplies yesterday. I know once he gets started he'll work diligently-it's just getting started!

It's stressful just worrying about getting a good night's sleep. I do like the Fitbit for that. My eye mask is helping me sleep a little later. Do you eat full fat dairy and lots of red meat? My intermittent fasting has gone by the wayside. Now I'm back to just eating and exercising what I feel like doing. I have been trying to have a salad everyday and still limit dairy (except yogurt). I've been taking probiotics and my colonoscopy is next Wed. So starting Friday no nuts, seeds, corn, or popcorn. I eat a lot of nuts so that will be hard.

Thursday I picked up 4 hours at work. It helps me get my steps in and the extra money will be good. I haven't heard back from the doctor's office and it's been a week.

Have a good day!

Beth

DS1 and I have both caught the cold DH has. It came on strong yesterday and I feel miserable. I did manage a BR w/o yesterday morning. I'm resting today though. The notary is bringing our closing documents to the house for signing tonight. How convenient! As far as my diet, I don't eat much dairy at all. For meat, I mostly eat chicken or fish. I do eat red meat, but only once or twice a week. I think her guidelines were just general dietary changes to lower cholesterol. Oh, I've been eating more eggs since they are zero points on WW. I was making 2 eggs scrambled with bell peppers, tomatoes and 1 tsp of feta cheese if I had it. I've switched breakfast to 1/4 cup oats with berries and protein added-either a little of premier protein shake or my protein powder and some almond/coconut milk. I do love eggs though. I wonder if using 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites might help. I was down 1.8lbs at my weigh in today. Some days I can do 2 workouts but most days I get in 1 w/o and try to walk in the evening to get in my 10K steps.

I'm sure the kitchen will look fabulous when it is done. I'm loving the fitbit Versa and highly recommend it. The only real downside for me is it needs recharged about every 4 days. My flex 2 and Surge usually only need charged once a week. Do you take your probiotics with each meal, or just once a day? I've been using the RAW brand and take in the evening. I hope you hear back from the Dr. office soon. Do you have any plans for the long weekend? Is it a long weekend for you?

bbl

Hi. Sorry you are not feeling well. I hate spring colds. I must be developing an allergy to something because I've been sneezing after being outside lately. I really like the look of the Versa. As soon as I need a new one, I think that's the one I want. Your scramble sounds delicious! Right now I'm on the no: nuts, seeds, corn, or popcorn step of the the colonoscopy prep. I plan on eating more yogurt for the next few days. I don't know what to take in to snack on at work-have to figure that out soon! Glad you have a nice long weekend off. I'm working tonight and the weekend and then have Monday-Monday off (except for a training on Tuesday afternoon).

My probiotics say to take them with a meal so it's usually my breakfast meal. I've also started taking Gaba Calm to help with my anxiety. We'll see if it works. It's only been two days! Wed. I rode bike for an hour and yesterday I did LI Legs. Those one legged squat things are brutal! I only hold 1/2 pound weights for that and still tip over sometimes!

Beth

Nothing much going on here. I'm still under the weather, stuffed up and have no energy. My weekend chore list isn't getting done. I really need to box up DS2's stuff since he isn't taking anything when he comes over. Oh, last time he stopped by he said his contract was up on the 29th so that means he'll be out of a job again. UGH. I hope he doesn't plan on moving back in with us. We closed the loan on Friday and the funds should be direct deposited on the 31st. Once that happens, I'll contact the flooring company and see when we can schedule. I hope to wash all the bedding and wipe down the bathrooms/door knobs etc. We need these germs out of our house. I would love to open the windows, but it supposed to be in the 90's so central air it will be for a few days. I may try to workout later, weights only. Not sure I can handle any cardio being all congested and no energy.

Enjoy your week off! That sounds fantastic, except for the colonoscopy part anyway. The prep is the worst. If I recall, I started the prep around 5pm or so and my procedure was early the next day.

Oh no, sick on your 3 day weekend. I'm sorry. It's probably because you finally have the time to rest and your body is saying LET ME REST! DH used to get migraines almost every weekend he was off-I think it was the letdown for him, too. My weekend was awful. Sat. and Sun. were working nightmares where I was by myself. Sunday night a resident fell which I hate. I ended up doing 13 hours Sun. Mon. I was supposed to make something for the picnic, but didn't. Instead, I worked out to LI Afterburn Athletic Training extreme premix-super fun by the way-double cardio and then a bunch of metabolic moves. I'm planning a whole week of the LI DVD's while I'm off while also trying to get some outdoor and maybe a pool time in. Anyway, I stopped at this little grocery store to see if I could pick up potato salad or cold slaw or something-no they were all out. So I stopped at my parent's to ask them if I could just bring some wine or some beer and my dad had just fallen. So he was in a LOT of pain. I got him in the car and went to the ER and he ended up breaking his shoulder (of course, the one he just had surgery on in Feb.). Anyway-3 hours later we all met up at their house for the picnic which was super. I ate way too much, since I hadn't had anything all day! Now today I can eat nothing-doing the prep. Plus I have to go to work at noon for a training for a few hours-yuck!

I'm off to take a walk. It's already 80 here. I need to be outside a bit today after yesterday.

I hope you're feeling better. Glad the refi came through. I told DH his "job" is to get the house looking good. He had pained one of the four sides of our kitchen-yeah! It's still white, but looks so much cleaner. We need to find someone to do our basement steps-especially after my dad fell.

Beth

The whole family is still sick, but I think we are on the mend. I haven't worked out since last Thursday. Today was back to work. Fortunately it wasn't too busy so I was able to catch up on a few things. I put filing and other stuff on the girls bed, so I've been getting that all put away. I still need DS2 to come clean out his room so I can move my desk down there when the girls are here. I'm still looking for a new comforter and maybe new curtains for their room. I'm not washing the bedding until closer to their arrival. I still need to contact the flooring company and see when we can get scheduled. I think we need to have them come out here again and go over everything with DH and I. I doubt they can do it before the girls arrive. I'm okay with that. Oh, I finally called and cancelled the Pilates membership since I just haven't made it a priority to get there. They put my membership on hold for March, but it was charged in April and in May. I cancelled it today. Why pay for something you aren't using. It's far too expensive. DS1 and are looking at getting a Chuze membership. It is a new gym that just opened near my house. I think for the two of us, it's $35/month and they have a pool!

Oh my gosh, you've had a rough few days of work. My heart goes out to your Dad. Will they have to do another surgery? I think a week of the LI series sounds awesome. I hope the procedure goes well and results are favorable. The prep is the worst. Glad it's only needed once every 10 years.

Well, I made it through! Only 4 hours sleep last night, but the procedure went fine-the doc saw nothing. I wasn't completely cleaned out so they want to do another one in 5 years. I think I'll do the Cologuard then and go from there. That prep was awful. I did do a weighed walk yesterday, but am taking it easy today. I might go to the pool, but just to cool down and relax. I'm off until next Tues., so can start working out again tomorrow. Chuze sounds great-I love the low impact, total body aspect of doing the pool. I think it helps tone my arms a bit.

My dad is back in the sling for at least four weeks. One day at a time...

Beth

This never posted from yesterday:
Well I did get in a workout yesterday morning, but just a walk today. I have an early meeting with the UK on Thursdays and usually workout after the meeting. This week we identified some issues and I wanted to address them quickly. I did get a break though and went for a walk with my son. DS2 is supposed to come pick his remaining stuff tomorrow. Then DS1 will move his room down to that room and move the girls room over too. I've been stressing about not having everything done before the girls get here. I'm feeling much better about in now.

This morning I went to my WW meeting and hope to get in a workout this afternoon. I'm so happy it's Friday!

Last edited:
Glad to hear you're feeling better! How soon until the girls get there? I'm starting to feel better. Slept until 10AM today so must be catching up from Tuesday night. Yesterday I did LI Upper Body Trisets. Instead of pushups though I did flat and incline presses-just didn't feel like pushups yesterday. Today I want to do Cardio Supersets.

We're going to see Aaron tomorrow at Penn State. So I doubt I'll do much but walk there and maybe when we get home.

Beth

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.