Damage Control-June Whole30 Style

rmrmr

Cathlete
Hi Ladies,

Thought I'd get our new thread going.

I've been cooking like a mad woman the last couple days. Much I my food is prepared and all I need to do is mix and match my proteins, veggies and fats!! I don't anticipate having any problems with Whole30 at all. I found this website and made most of the week 1 food: http://meljoulwan.com/2013/12/29/whole30-2014-week-1-meal-plan/
I'm cooking the veggies separately as I need them or eat them raw.

Yesterday I did CLB instead of GS legs. My back is still sore and it hurts to lift anything over my head. I opted for CLB with handweights as the best choice.

How did you all spend the long weekend???

BBL

Last edited:
Hi all!

Thanks for starting our thread, Diana! Yesterday I made meatloaf, roasted veggies, another batch of whole30 ketchup-love it with the salmon/fish cakes, and reviewed all the "can I have this" material. Today I worked and had a big breakfast before work-3 large eggs scrambled with about a cup of the roasted potatoes fried on the stove top. It was really good and I did not get hungry at 9 AM for a change. I guess I need 3 eggs instead of 2-is that bad?! It kind of felt like a lot, but I wanted to try 3 this time to see if it made a difference. Lunch at 10:30 was leftover tuna steak on a salad and a Granny smith apple-I started eating those during my sugar detox and prefer them now to all other apples-always tart and always crispy. Dinner tonight is mixed veggies DH is making from the cookbook-something with mushrooms and broccoli-and a side of the meatloaf from yesterday. I made it with turkey and grass fed beef. I did have a snack at 1:30 at work-some whole30 trail type mix with nuts and coconut flakes. I am on the move though most of my shift and plan to work out in a bit. How is your first day going? I have seltzer water to put in my wine glass tonight at dinner!

Workout wise I think I'm needing more rest/easier/not working the same muscle group days. I did Ice Metabolic Conditioning on Monday and my legs are still sore. Yesterday was X train Burn sets CBS and today will be the Bi's and Tri's. It's only 37 minutes so I'll probably take a short walk after dinner for 20 minutes or so. I'm not doing any rotation now-just taking it day by day to see how I feel. I got in 3 bike rides last week! I really wanted to go yesterday with DH, but didn't want to push it. Maybe tomorrow.

Beth

I'm still here, reading when I can. I actually did do Boot Camp and then ICE Chiseled Upper Body in the same day!

So here was the rest of my workout week:
5/25 Wednesday boot camp ICE CUB
5/26 Thursday PUB
5/27 Friday boot camp
5/28 Saturday ran around playground with Little K and other kids at a bday party
5/29 Sunday: Imax 2
Memorial Day: Super Cuts and 100 hip thrusts challenge!
Today: boot camp, was going to do AOLIH but it was a lot of cardio and not as much body wt.

Eating has been great until the evening. Today was my weigh in from the 6 week challenge! I was not ready! He said I lost 2.5-3 pounds and 1% body fat. Inches stayed the same. I didn't do the push-ups, jumps squats or burpees because there wasn't enough time.

My back is feeling better. Coach Matt changed up the 30 sec on and 7 sec off to 45 on and 11 off 4 rounds of 6 exercises with 1 min 15 sec rest in between. Today was:

Rows on the TRX, feet against the wall so I basically hanging close to the ground rowing up.
Beast jacks, beast is stretchy ropes
Bird dog push-ups, I couldn't lift my arm and leg, hurt my back so I just lifted my leg with the lush up
Long jump forward, 3 small squatting jumps back
8# big ball twist and throw against wall
Plié jumps? Can't remember at they are called.

So this was from yesterday 5/31, I left tapatalk to find the name of the exercise, but the got distracted!

Today I did AOLIH and 100 scarecrow challenge. What a fun one! I was looking at my other Cathe DVDs and see that I haven't done TTM or CF lately! Miss those!

Beth and Diana-I will have. Look into this whole 30 stuff more! Yesterday and today wren petty good food days!

Hi Tina!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Ladies,

Whole30 Day 1 was a success!!! I still need to cut back on the almond butter so I'm working on that today.
Breakfast - 2 egss on wilted spinach with roasted brussels sprouts and red bell peppers, 1/2 an avocado
Lunch-shredded pork with 1/2 baked sweet potato
Snack-honeycrisp apple and almond butter
Dinner-2 scotch eggs and 5 brussels sprouts
96oz of water throughout the day
Walk after dinner to get to my 10K steps
Workout-BR Day 1, starting over on the BR 30 Day Real Time Challenge. I enjoy this so much and it is so versatile. I'm struggling with deciding what workouts to do. I have my favorites but really need to change it up. I'm waiting to see what Cathe posts for the June rotation.

GS C&T is on tap for today and I will probably walk after dinner to get to my 10K steps.

Beth-great job with day 1!!! I don't think 3 eggs are bad at all. I haven't made the ketchup yet. I'm using the salad dressing recipe from my 21 day cleanse. Keep up the good workouts. I believe you should feel like you worked, but still have energy for the rest of your day.

LL-Wow you did some great w/o's last week! I bet you really felt that additional 15 secs of work! The BR w/o's increase in work time too, by the end we are doing up to 50 secs of work in some of them.

Tina-what are you up to? Is the bathroom done...and beautiful??

bbl

Sorry I've been missing. I started working at a stable, and when I come home, there are workers here in and out all day. This is the first time I've been on the computer in a long time. Since I started working during the week, I'm only doing weights in the evening w/ DH or cycling. This week we're doing XT for weights. We'll be cycling tonight. I'm painting the bathroom today. We did the ceiling paint and the wall primer a few days ago. Still a long way to go before we have fixtures and running water again.

Sorry I haven't had a chance to read through everyone's post. I just wanted to wave hello. I'll be back to a regular check in once the bathroom is finished. :)

Hi Ladies,

Whole30 day 2, another successful day!! Thanks for challenging me Beth. It's nice to try new foods. The hardest for me is no chocolate, I'm still craving that after my lunch or dinner. I just say to myself-"this too shall pass".
Breakfast-2 tbsp almond butter, 3 boiled eggs
Lunch-6oz shredded pork, 2 C roasted vegetables
Snack-honey crisp apple, 1tsp almond butter
Dinner-1C chocolate chili, 1/2 avocado
96oz water throughout the day

I'm mixing and matching the food that I made. It made enough for 2 people for 7 days. DH is having some of the food, but I think next week I will cut the food prep in half.

There are a few dates I will need to plan out my meals for. June 15th is a lunch date with a girlfriend, June 17th/19th-DH birthday/father's day, and June 22nd-travel to get the girls. I'm most concerned about the 22nd. The other days should be fine.

I seriously struggled through GS C&T, specifically the Chest section. I did increase my weights a tad, 2 set of chest presses with 30#'s, 1 set with 25's. Chest fly-25's for all 3 sets. Incline-25's for presses, 20's for fly. I'm trying to get back to my previous weights for this w/o. I haven't decided on a workout for lunch yet.

Tina-Sounds like you've been busy. How do you like working at the stable? It sounds right up your alley.

Waving hi to Beth & LL.

Hi Ladies,

Thursday I rested. Today I did Kick, Punch and Crunch premix for 82 minutes! It consisted of the all of KPC with some weight work from L&G thrown in plus abs at the end. Feeling good!

Diana, I googled the chocolate craving issue and found this:

"If you crave this: Chocolate

What you really need: Magnesium
Healthier alternatives: Raw nuts and seeds, fruits"

It might be worth trying. My whole30 is going well, too. I have too much food though to meal prep anymore. I'm still trying to eat up the meatloaf and all the veggies. We're getting ready for our yard sale today. The sale is tomorrow from 9-12. After the first hour it's pretty much over here so we're not wasting the whole day on it. Your weight work is phenomenol! Plus the 10,000 steps a day. Those granddaughters will need to keep up with you!

Tina, you must love working with animals! I'm glad you found a week job. Do you like it? Are the bathrooms taking longer than expected? We just had more piping fixed-this time in the basement so at least no walls or ceilings were involved!

LL, you are getting lots of workouts in with bootcamp and Cathe! Are you in summer mode yet? Kids here were finished on Wed. this year-earliest ever I think because there were close to no snow days. I hope you're having a good week!

Beth

Diana, nice work in the food! I'm eating similarly but not on purpose:
Breakfast- shake with protein powder, greens powder, 1T chia seeds, 1t peanut butter, 1/2 frozen banana, 3/4c frozen banana, 1/2c each cashew butter and water.

Lunch- not much time- hot chicken sausage 6oz

Snack iced coffee with a little half and half and lots chocolate sauce.

Dinner- romaine salad with cucumbers, few croutons and Caesar dressing
Snack- 6oz chicken breast chunks, 2c cauliflower, piece of cheese

Ok so not whole30 but no late eating chocolate!

The above post was from yesterday.

This morning I boot camp and I was going to do do XTrain Bis and tris or CBS but I just spend way too much time wasting in the computer and now I just have to get a shower.

They are almost finished. CDawg finished his 180 days today and JTrain finished his intensive math class and will finish up his vocabulary workbook next week. Then he will make a film of his year. He does this every year. Really likes to. B still had 10 more days to fill the requirement. But his book work is finished except for his vocabulary book. He wants me to buy him a redcoat costume and put in a play with Little K. Not sure if that is happening. The consume is $37. We will end up doing fun things like educational games and field trips for the next 2 weeks. Basically they all have really had half days for the last 2 weeks anyway...[emoji4]

I have to work on portfolios these next 2 weeks. Then Camp Little Bear starts and our evaluation is in the middle of it.

I've been going nuts about the history for next year! I can't figure out what to do and where to have JTrain take chemistry...2 options for science and 3 options for history. Some are live some are online and one history option is just at home. I have until July 31 to decide, I think.

Hi Beth and Tina!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Ladies,

Yesterday I did GS legs and walked after dinner. I was about 300 steps short of 10K. It's really hard to get 10K steps when I don't do cardio. This morning I did BR day 3 and then GS BSB. DH is making london broil for dinner tonight and I'm going to roast more vegetables to go with it. Whole30 Day 3-success!
breakfast-3 boiled eggs, 1tbsp almond butter
lunch-2 skinless chicken thighs, 1 C roasted veggies
dinner-1 C chocolate chili, 1 C cooked lean ground beef, 1/2 an avocado
snacks-2 tbsp sunbutter (this stuff is delicious)
64oz water throughout the day

I'm getting the stuff today to make Whole30 ketchup and barbecue sauce. I have a ton of shredded pork and chicken thighs left. I will be finishing all this food before I prepare any more.

DS1 will probably bring some stuff over this weekend. I'm hoping to go for a bike ride too-tomorrow. It'll have to be early though, the temps are going to be in the high 80's this weekend. UGH... Later today I'm heading to Kohl's to look around. We need some shower curtain liners. I look at clothes, but I don't need anything especially since I work at home.

Beth-how did the sale go? Wow, what a great premix!!! I read that too, magnesium. I can do the fruit and nut butter, but nuts just don't work well with my braces. I still don't consider that a replacement for chocolate. Breaking the chocolate habit is good for me though, and necessary. It should be a treat, not a daily necessity. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

LL-Sounds like you are a busy bee with finishing up school with the boys, summer prep, and fall school prep! You are getting in some good workouts. Are you still enjoying the bootcamp classes? Bodyrock 30 day real time challenge is very similar to what you described, you may like her w/o's too. She doesn't wear much, I figure she is working out in her home too.

Waving hi to Tina...

Hi all,

Did you get a bike ride in, Diana? Tina? DH got one in today. My legs were still sore from yesterday so I did PP 2 sets of upper body premix. The yard sale went ok. We are never having another though. Too many people these days just go to Craigslist, Facebook online yard sale or shop the second hand stores. We did get rid of the pile on the back porch though-donated most of it to Goodwill. We kept some stuff out in case one of the boys ever gets a place-like dishes, pans, etc.

whole30-done day 4 for me! I brush my teeth soon after dinner to not be tempted to eat anymore.
breakfast: spinach, roasted veggies, 3 eggs
snack: nuts, coconut chips, raisins and an apple
lunch: whole30 meatloaf
snack(after workout): nuts, 4 prunes
dinner: large salad with oil/viniger

After tomorrow we'll be 1/6 of the way done! I felt ok today-wasn't hungry when I got up but had a coffee headache (slept in a little). After coffee though I was hungry!

I understand about the nuts being hard for braces. The sunbutter is something I haven't seen, but will look for Monday. Tomorrow night is cards and will be a big test to see if I can not eat or drink off program there. I did bypass the donuts at work on Thursday so that gives me confidence!

Beth

Hi all,

I got through cards last night with just water, but too many questions about my eating choices that I could not answer. I wish I'd never told my mom I was doing this. I feel really good though and since starting my right foot has not hurt at all-before it would get red and hot at the end of the day-inflammation around a nerve? I don't know. Anyway during reintroduction this will be one of my main focuses to see if food or alcohol had anything to do with it. Yesterday I did To the Max-main routine. It had quite a bit of high impact and no foot trouble last night. I petered out during the upper body/abs section-just not into it. I paused a few times during the 30/20 section, too. Today I'm planning on Slow and Heavy Chest and Back and a walk.

What's everyone else been up to?!

Beth

Hi Ladies,

No workout to report for yesterday. I did manage to get my 10K steps in by mowing the lawn and helping DS1 haul stuff downstairs. Depending on my work schedule today, I hope to fit in BR Day 4 and GS C&T.

I'm really struggling with my middle son. I told my husband I'm going to have a nervous breakdown if he doesn't move out soon. He supposed to be paying rent, but I have to ask every month for it. He's disrespectful to me and DS3 all the time. I'm so sick of it.

I've determined that the sunbutter is not a good choice for me. I tastes so good and I am eating way too much of it. UGH.. Other than that, the food has been going well. I still have plenty of food left. I also made the whole30 tangy bbq sauce and ketchup, and zucchini soup over the weekend.

Beth-great job with TTM! That is a toughie for sure. Have you given up coffee? I'm sticking with my 2 cups of black coffee everyday. My family knows about the food plan I'm following, but they are used to me doing something different anyway. I also have the book It Starts with Food, same authors as Whole30. I've been perusing it too. I've found the recipes to be good so far. Being an over-eater, I really wish they provided portion sizes. Saying it feeds 2 is easy, but when it feeds 4-6 or 6-8 is much harder for me to judge. I'm sorry you got so many questions. It's a similar diet to help determine allergens. Plus, who doesn't want to give up processed foods??? Yes, it's more time in the kitchen, but the benefits over processed and chemical laden food is so much better. My mom and grandma cooked all our meals from scratch.

Hi to LL and Tina-how did you ladies spend the weekend?

bbl

Weekend was spent with baseball playoffs and bday parties on Saturday and church picnic yesterday. And I don't if I ate something bad but I threw up at 3 and 6 am and have been in bed ever since.

Hi Ladies,

I did not sleep very well last night and am dealing with allergies, all stuffed up and can't breath. Needless to say, I have no energy and will probably take a nap at lunch.

Whole30 is going well-yesterday:
breakfast-1 tbsp. sunbutter, 3 eggs on wilted spinach
lunch-1 C chocolate chili
snack-honeycrisp apple and 1 tbsp.sunbutter
dinner-London broil and 1 C roasted veggies
Water-96 oz throughout the day.

LL-hope you feel better soon.

Hello to Tina & Beth!

Dia an, looks like your food looks great!

I'm up and moving around today, slowly. But I pulled something in my hip while standing and doing calendar with Little K. I'm trying to start my eating off well:

Early am snack: banana and peanut butter
Late breakfast: eggs, watermelon and chicken bacon
Lunch- teriyaki beef on a stick 2.5 of them, probably 4-6 ounces, carrots and hummus and sweet potato noodles that were not great so I didn't eat them all which was about a half cup
Not sure what dinner will be, since I might be going out to CDawg's sixth grade graduation....

Hi Tina and Beth!

Hi all!

I almost gave up last night...was craving a cracker! I didn't though and worked it out to today at noon we're-25% done! I finally finished the meatloaf today at lunch! whole30 is going fine. One day at a time...one meal at a time. I do find myself having some whole30 trail mix I made up a couple of times a day. I don't care. I need to do what works for me, right!

breakfast (5:30): 1 egg over 1 fish cake over some greens. I'm really liking having greens at breakfast. It makes me feel like I'm getting so many more servings of veggies/day!

snack (9:30) at work/on the floor: RX bar. I bought a case for just such emergencies at work-first day on the other hall, two discharges at 9:45...etc.

lunch (12:30) : meatloaf and a granny smith apple

snack (3:30) some blueberries and the trail mix

Dinner will be a huge salad and some leftover chicken and mushrooms.

Yesterday I did Slow and Heavy chest and back with moderate weights. No shoulder pain-slight doms-but I'm ok with that. I'm off to work out now-just wanted to check in. I'm thinking Cardio Supersets...fun and not too intense.

LL, it sounds like you had a touch of food poisoning. Hope it's all out now.

Diana, I feel you on DS2. My DS1 is frustrating at times. Nice job on your whole30! I think if you like the nut butter just eat it! You work out really hard and are eating very well.

Tina, you must be at work or biking! Are you liking your new schedule? How are the chicks?

Beth

No workouts for me. Still have pain in my hip. I hope to get to the chiropractor today. Unfortunately after hours at the dentist, I can't get my sliding door shut on our 10yo minivan. Hubby wants a new car. I don't want car payments and we just put almost $2000 on a catalytic converter and other stuff.

Beth your eating sounds great!!! Have you seen any difference yet?

Hi Tina and Diana!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Ladies,

Today I did BR day 5, abs focused and a lighter w/o in general. Tomorrow is legs, leaning towards RWH legs. We'll see how it goes. I haven't done all the ICE or RWH w/o's yet. I need to get back to doing legs twice a week and include more glute work. I need all the help I can get on the back side.

Not sure if I mentioned this or not, but I ordered a new HR monitor and it should be delivered tomorrow. Polar A300

Whole30 is going fine and it's really not that hard. I do miss my chocolate though and I'm not a fan of their stringent rules. Like don't drink your calories (protein shakes and smoothies). How is soup different??? I also don't like the 3 meals a day. I feel I'm over-eating...and do much better with all day eating-every few hours. It's harder for me to over eat when I get a little all day long. I'm going to change it up a bit going forward. I'm finishing up the food I made on the 30th. It was nice having it all prepared, but I made way too much. I'll probably cook again on Saturday/Sunday. I'm looking for some new recipes.

breakfast-2 Tbsp sunbutter (pre-w/o), 3 eggs on wilted spinach
lunch-1 C chicken chili
dinner-4oz shredded pork, 2Tbsp whole30 barbecue sauce, 1C zucchini soup
snack-2 Tbsp sunbutter

Beth-you are rocking this challenge!!! Great job with slow & heavy, those are pretty challenging! I agree, make it work for you. I just ordered some RX bars and Epic bars from amazon. Thanks for the suggestion. The snacks are hardest for me.

LL-Oh my, you sure are having a rough time. Sorry about your hip. Car problems are the worse. I hope you can come to a solution. If you DH doesn't have to drive far to work, leasing may be an option. The payments are usually less. Of course, my DH isn't a fan of leasing...we keep our cars until they die.

Tina-hello :)

bbl

Hi all!

LL, take care of that hip. Are you getting a new car?

Diana, I think because we ate fairly clean before whole30 that we didn't have to go through all the sugar withdraw that is expected. I'm finding it pretty easy to stick to the program too. Like you, I need more snacks-esp. work days.

Day 8: breakfast: 2 eggs on roasted butter nut squash and greens, raspberries
snack: RX bar
lunch: leftover salad, granny smith apple (no protein-felt it and can't do that again)
snack: too much trail mix (making up for the lack of protein?)
dinner: 2 salmon cakes with whole30 ketchup, salad

I did not work out yesterday. Today we're heading to State College to visit DS2 and I'm getting a smart phone! It's his old one, but I won't have to hit #2 3 x to get the letter c when we text anymore! I'm off to workout-doing Legs and Glutes.

Beth

My first day off from working in eight days. I'm really enjoying the stable job, but it's only temporary. I'm still cleaning for the school on the weekends and will finish out this year until August. I'll work at the barn until September and hopefully have a full time job set up by then. We've been getting some great miles in on the bike. I didn't join DH last night for a ride as I was just too exhausted from the barn. I did ICE CLB with the abs instead. I think we're going to do XT BS tonight. I may try to squeeze in a kickboxing cardio this afternoon. The bathroom is still unfinished, the builder had to have emergency knee surgery yesterday. The vanity, counter, floor tiles, and doors are in and we painted the walls last week. We're just waiting on tile above the shower and the new toilet to come in, then they can finish the plumbing. It really looks fantastic so far. :)

Diana, your diet and workouts are infectious! Awesome dedication! I can so relate to your stress with your DS. The biggest source of anxiety for me comes from worrying about either one of my kids. My fear is that our DS will still be sitting on the couch gaming when he's 45, still requesting I make him a sandwich. :/ We keep our vehicles until they just about dead too. We live in a town where everyone drives a new Audi or BMW. Speaking of which, I've met some ultra rich horse owners at the barn. Just to board a horse there is $800 a month, and some of these people have multiple horses. They drive in with Jaguar convertibles and Ferraris. It's amusing to hear them converse about their first world problems. Did you get your new HR monitor?

Beth, I'm amazed at how well you and Diana are sticking to Whole30. I've been watching my neighbor, whose been following it for months, adhere to it and I'm like "nope". Tough stuff!! For book group this month we read The Pecan Man. I really enjoyed this one, the main character was one of my favorites.

LL, I hope your back is doing better. Did you give in to buying a new car? That awesome that your son is graduating grade 6. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.