Damage Control August 2018

This morning I did a BR w/o and then worked until noon. DH has a terrible cold now though. We made it to the condo in about 2 hours. It normally takes an hour and 15 min or so. The traffic coming to the mountains is always bad on Fridays. We left at 2, but still ran into issues. Speaking of benefits, I added DH and DS3 to my high deductible plan. Once DH goes back to work, he will have to carry himself and my son. Here's what my new floor will be: https://shawfloors.com/flooring/laminate/details/riverview-hickory-sl367/alamo-hickory
It's looks a bit darker with less variation in the showroom. Regardless, it will look much better than 20+ year old carpet.

That is great news, hope you get the work done on the house that you need. I'm sure the insulation/siding will help a lot with your utility bills. The gray/white looks really pretty. Wow, so will Aaron be working from home until he moves out there? Will they put him up in temporary housing until he can find a place to live?

I really like the look of your flooring. It's so pretty and a nice neutral color to go with everything. We have laminate upstairs in the hallway and in DS2's bedroom. It's so easy to clean. How is your DH feeling? He's probably finally "let down" after getting through work and got sick. Are the mountains healing for him? I hope he's feeling much better by the wedding day!

How are your workouts going? I'm heading to the pool in an hour. I plan to do pool Sun., Tues., and Thurs. during my modified rest week. I haven't even been to the gym since I started this rotation!

Aaron starts Monday and will do his training for 3 weeks from home. That's all we know so far. His hours will be 11-7 to compensate for the time change. He had the gall to say that "everyone else goes on a nice vacation before starting work". I pointed out Toronto, Dominican Republic, DC, the beach and Bonoro. I think he's getting a little overwhelmed about the job. DH and I are letting him navigate unless he asks for help. So, yes, he and Riley are here for a while. He's looking at apartments that allow dogs, have a dog park/sitting service, and have a gym. That's his dream apt. complex! He found out he's given $500/week for food which should help him be able to afford a decent apt.

Hope you're having fun!

Beth

Yesterday I went shopping to stock us up for the week. I also walked down the little main street with all the shops. I didn't buy anything but was hopeful about getting my steps in. I only ended up with a little over 6K. It's been rainy yesterday and more rain today. I hope to go out walking in a bit, between the bouts of rain. The rest of the week looks to be sunny and 70's, which is perfect for me. I noticed I brought Insanity Asylum instead of T25. I'll probably start on those tomorrow. I need to get back to the ab challenge too. I'm starting to get DH's cold and I hope it doesn't take me down too.

That comment, about vacation before starting work is exactly how my middle son thinks. Adulting isn't always fun as we well know. He will find his way. The cost of living is out of control in CA. I hope he finds something nice that he can afford.

Good to hear my son isn't the only one who says stuff like that. He has found an apt. (a studio) and wants to lay claim to it now. No way...not until we know when he has to move. On the plus side I think he'll be able to afford everything with his job. We're taking the dog to get her nails trimmed this morning.

I'm back at my goal weight! I think all the weight lifting adds pounds to my scale. Yesterday I went to the pool and got my steps in. Thinking I might do yoga today. But just knowing I don't have to do anything is helping my stress!

70's and sun sound perfect! It's supposed to get sunny here this afternoon. All the wood in my house is swelling and damp from the humidity.

I need to go prep dinner-shrimp and veggies in a sweet/sour sauce.

Beth

I went walking yesterday on the bike path and witnessed an accident. I called 911 and luckily they were able to figure out where I was. I'm on a bike path surrounded by mountains and a reservoir. The man was NOT wearing a helmet and smacked the back of his head on the pavement and it immediately started gushing blood. Always wear a helmet. It doesn't matter how experienced you are, accidents happen.

DH and I sat in the new hot tub last night. It's definitely an upgrade from the one that was here before. He's still under the weather today. I'll probably head down to the outlet shops and walk around there this afternoon.

Just popping back in to say I did Insanity Asylum Speed and Agility this morning. It was rough to say the least. Good thing I don't have the agility ladder here, I would have spent more time fixing it than working out. I have to workout in the garage because we are attached to neighbors on both sides and jumping is a no no.

Yay for being back at your goal weight!! Heavy lifting forces your muscles to hold water and you also have the lactic acid build up too. I focus more on increasing my muscle mass and decreasing my body fat than the scale weight, although I do try to keep that in check too. My body water is low and that is due to having too much body fat and not enough muscle mass. When will he find out when he has to be out there? It would be nice to have a few places lined up to look at in person before he makes a final decision. The internet pictures can be deceiving. Enjoy your dinner tonight!

Last edited:
How scary to see that head injury. Yes, I always wear a helmet. Although, I've only biked a handful of times this summer. Between getting more afraid of the roads, all the rain, and just not feeling like doing it I've been bad about using my bike. It's very heavy which doesn't help. That hot tub should help his cold. You fought it off?!

DS2 has 3 weeks online training here. Then goes to D.C. for 2 weeks. After that he shadows another rep for 3 weeks (anywhere they put him in the U.S.). Then I think he has two weeks to move out-not sure about that far out yet. If that's correct, he would start the first full week of November-but does he get paid for those weeks? How many suits does he need? I'm not allowed to ask too many questions, but I have a million!

I did the pool again today. 30 minutes-felt good. How is Shaun T.? I miss seeing him, but could probably only do the stretching DVD from Insanity at this point! He's so motivating, I bet you got a great workout! Are you having to work much or are they letting you take a full vacation?!

Off to wal-mart for a few thing (ends up being 80 bucks every time though!)

Beth

Yesterday was a dog walk and work. My heel woke me up in the middle of the night, but seems ok now. It's always something these days! Dreamed that you and I were at a job interview and we decided it was a pyramid scheme-wierd, I know. I slept off an on, and just made 8 hours according to my fitbit.

Today I'm just planning on working around the house, making up some waffles and doing some laundry before work. Is your niece getting married Sat. the 25th? If so, she and I will share a wedding anniversary! We'll be married 28 years on Sat. Planning on dinner on the 27th after DH eye appt.

Not much new here. Hope your vacation is going well!

Beth

Tuesday was rainy all day so we stayed in and watched movies most of the day. Wednesday I went walking. There are beautiful trails around and I used to enjoy running them, but now mostly walk. Today I did a 60 minute run/walk and it felt great. I don't have much running endurance, and doing it at 9800 ft. doesn't help. It was great though. I stopped and took some pics along the way. My knees were hurting after doing Shawn T. on the cement garage floor-I'm so old. DS1 is coming up today and should be here in an hour or so. Yes, my niece is getting married on the 25th.

Happy early Anniversary to you and DH. It will be 30 yrs for DH and I in September. Funny dream!

My legs are a little sore from the running yesterday. I got in over 20K steps yesterday!! DS1 got here and we went down to the outlet mall. I picked up a new pair of Nike running shoes for $30. We are leaving and heading to the next stop today. We are going through a mountain town where my Aunt lives and are stopping to see her. My Uncle passed away about 4 or 5 years ago. She ended having to file for bankruptcy and lost her house. She is living with her daughter and her husband right now. She waiting for her disability to come through. They are the hard working folks who never made a lot but just got by. So sad. I haven't seen her in a very long time. I can't drive through her town without stopping. I called her last night to let her know we were coming and she is looking forward to seeing us. She is my Aunt by marriage, but has been a part of my life for over 30 years.

We stopped for breakfast and enjoyed visiting with my Aunt. Then we made our way to the next location for my nieces wedding. We had a great time at the wedding. I went over to the venue on Saturday morning and dipped strawberries in chocolate and decorated a bunch treats. I was only there for about 3 hours but could have spent the whole day there working on finishing touches. Having a wedding outside of your hometown is so much more work. My SIL actually brought there freezer up full of desserts. They had to put together the flowers at the venue. So much work. The venue was large and housed all 7 attendants on each side as well as the parents of the bride and groom. We are heading home today. My dear MIL isn't really keen on the mountain driving, so DH is going to drive her car home. DS1 and 3 will drive home together and I will be solo. DS2 drove up yesterday with DS3, but he went home last night. Not a social person. Oh well, at least he was here, on time, and dressed for the wedding.

What have you been up to?

Glad the wedding went well, but you're right -lots of work! Nice all your boys made it. My DS1 sounds a lot like your DS2 so I understand. We went out to dinner last night with my parents and brother to celebrate DS2's job/graduation. It was a lot of fun. DS1 asked my mom if he could leave when he was done eating-she got him to stay.

I walked on the treadmill yesterday-wore the light weight vest and had a 6% incline. Somehow that was too much for my SI joint. Today was an unplanned rest/stretch day. I really don't want to do STS Disc 1 either-it has 8 sets of push-ups. I decided to listen to my body and rest today but now I don't know about the rotation. The week "off" was so enjoyable! (until yesterday). I might just do what I feel like. I did take the dog for a half hour walk today just to keep the blood flowing.

Watched a lot of soccer and we're playing cards tonight. Not much else besides keeping the fridge stocked for DS2 and the usual.

Beth

Got up and did STS disc 1! I just let myself do as many regular push ups and then finished on knees for all the push up rounds. I don't like boot camp style, staggered, decline, etc. So I modified and did what I wanted! How are you doing getting back in the swing of things after vacation? Do you need a vacation to recover?!

Heading back to Williamsport this afternoon for an other follow up for Dan's eye.

Beth

We made it home Sunday afternoon. I spent the afternoon doing laundry, going through the mail, putting away all our stuff etc. I was so tired. No workout yesterday, just walking at lunch. Today I'm getting back to it. I'm doing a BR w/o this morning and will probably walk at lunch, and mow the lawn this evening. This is the first week that DH is home with me. It is going to take some getting used to. I like my quiet time in the morning and yesterday he was talking to me. Oh No...he gets it and is leaving me alone this morning. He's still sick though. He made the bed, made dinner and took care of the dishwasher and cleaning up after dinner. That was nice. Once he's feeling better I'll give him the To Do list. He'll probably want to go back to work when he sees it. :) I need to add in running too, just not really into yet. I have a 10K scheduled for Thanksgiving day. I'm sure once I start doing it, I'll be fine and want to do it more. Oh, I didn't gain any weight on vacation-bonus!

Oh yes, Meso 1 is full of push ups. It's my least favorite mesocycle. It builds a good base for meso 2 though. How long is the rotation you are following? I'll probably start on STS in September sometime. I love the BR w/o's but really enjoy throwing in some Cathe cardio and even solid strength w/o's.

Kudos to keeping the weight off on vacation! I can't believe he's still sick. Maybe you can get him out walking with you more? Just add that to his list! My quiet time in the AM has been non-existent since the dog moved back in-unless I get up at 6:30, which is not appealing. I like to read a little, stretch, and drink a glass of water in the morning-started doing it during the last cleanse except then it was hot lemon water. Oh well-moving more with the dog here so it's just different.

The rotation I'm following is 14 weeks with two built in active rest weeks. I'm on the second round of 4 weeks of the undulating rotation. Even though I'm behind a day, I'm glad I went back. My upper body is good and sore and today was Disc 6 Legs which was fun. I expect my legs to feel it tomorrow! If I work out Sat. I'll be able to catch up-it's just hard with soccer on to get motivated before work to do it. We'll see. I'll probably do it so I can go back to having Sat. as my rest day.

Gotta go get ready for work.

Beth

Even though my legs are kind of sore, I made it through Afterburn! Tomorrow is Back and Triceps and I think I'm just going to do the ICE premixes for Back and Tricep Meltdowns. Have you recovered from your workouts and mowing yesterday? Do you mow after the sun gets low? We've been taking the dog out early morning and later at night for her longer walks. She's panting less than 100 yards from the house when the sun is out.

Work has been going pretty good lately. My attitude is better and I'm feeling like I'm choosing to work there as opposed to having to work there. Does that make sense?
Are you doing a cleanse in September?

Beth

I did another BR w/o this morning and my legs are so sore. I need to go walk but it's 90 out and I'm not really feeling it yet. I've been short on my steps the last few days. I usually mow on Sundays in the middle of the day. I read my emails, drink coffee, eat something, workout, then mow the lawn, shower and go grocery shopping. It had been more than a week and the lawn needed mowed. I have my 6am meeting tomorrow morning, it really throws me off my schedule. It's from 6-8am and I have to give a demo of a new site that I'm building for them. I think I will be doing the 21 day cleanse. There will be some challenges with birthdays and our anniversary. Are you also doing the cleanse? I just feel so much better. DH has done a few things around the house, nothing major. He did repair the ceiling in the formal living room where we had a leak. He's organized the DVD's, they were all over the place and are now all back where they belong. I haven't given him my list yet as he is still sick.

I'm glad work is going better for you right now. I'm going to be busy through year end and probably heading to the UK in Oct/Nov time frame. I'm guessing for 2 weeks. I won't find out for sure until it is funded by the customer.

Did end up doing the warm ups and 4 rounds of the back and tricep workouts for ICE. I miss doing the Rock' Em' Sock' Em' workout for sure-even the warm up was fun. I'll probably do ICE after this 14 week rotation or might do some of it during the active rest week. Taking the dog for a walk later to get my steps in for today. Day off today-so have to do some food shopping and cooking for Aaron.

You are so busy! Have your legs recovered yet? Mine are still sore. I was thinking of doing a whole30 for Sept. or the cleanse. I might just do all whole foods for the month-which will avoid a lot of pretzels and stuff at work. I'm still doing green smoothies a few times a week-love them and can't wait for the cookbook.

Hope Dave is feeling better. Do you think he needs to see the doctor? It's been quite a while.

Beth

I'm starting to loathe Thursdays. It was a 12 hour day for me that started at 5:30 this morning. I ended up having to work later since I needed help from someone who wasn't available to assist until tonight. Anyway, no workout to report for today, and I've been short on my steps every day this week. I got in all my steps and even had a 20K steps day when I was on vacation. I'm actually thinking of doing the cleanse after our floors are done. We may have a week or so when our kitchen isn't available. They are starting on September 10th. I could do the 7 Day thrive program though, that is sounding really good to me right now. I need the structure. I've been drinking the lemon/ginger tonic most mornings after my workout and before my breakfast. David is finally on the mend.

Nice job with your w/o!! I do like the ICE weight work. I still want to get to STS, but think it will have to be after the floors are done also. My workout area will probably be full of furniture. Although we would prefer to put it in the garage and not have to deal with taking heavy furniture to the basement.

At least you've got home remo planned. We have heard nothing back from the outfit that came over and checked out the job on the siding. I'm trying to not worry about it and figure we're saving money and maybe we are meant to move? It's so frustrating trying to get anything done.

Good and sore from back and tris yesterday. Today is cardio. I'm dreading work.

Beth

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.