Cycling Training

rachel132

Cathlete
I’m looking for advice from Cathe or anyone with training experience. My question is for advice on how to help my daughter improve her endurance. She is 5’2” and 210 pounds. We recently purchased bicycles and plan to train for a 75 miles charity bike ride (the Ride to Defeat ALS) in New Jersey this June. Because her father was recently diagnosed with ALS this is extremely important to her emotionally. We have gone on 10 mile easy flat rides (takes an hour). But when we try anything more difficult, moderate hills, she collapses. Physically, she is out of breath, heart racing and panicking and emotionally upset and feeling that she will not be able to do this because of her weight. My thoughts are that I need to get her a heart rate monitor and we need to go to the gym and use stationary bikes to figure out where she is and have a more definite marker of progress by increasing and decreasing tension. I want to keep her encouraged. Even if we can’t do the 75 miles, we could do 50 or even 25. Is there any advice on the best way to increase her endurance…how to measure current ability and how quick should she increase intensity? I have Cathe's cycle videos but I think they will be too difficult for her and just frustrate her.

Rachel, I really just wanted to wish you, your daughter and your family all the best in taking on the ALS ride (and of course with this new diagnosis in your family)! Sounds like she truly wants to 'fight' for her Dad and to make the two of you proud. What a beautiful daughter to be proud of. :)
Are there any training teams in your area to help beginners with building up endurance, learning to breath properly and such?
(Many endurance athletes use tai chi to help prepare for this.)

I would try increasing time/distance on the same flat course. could she try for 15 miles and not worry about time? or try to do the 10 miles faster. or do the 10 mile ride more often. are there any comfort issues? ... is she wearing padded shorts? padded gloves? especially padded shorts will help as distance, time, or frequency go up. Is there a bicycle club in the area that might have classes or support? is she riding a decent light weight road bike? does not have to be a $5000 carbon fiber, but a decent bike that shifts well with narrow tires. a way to monitor heart rate would be helpful to see how hard she is working.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.