Curious about home workout clothes

I buy clothes once a year as a reward to myself for being consistent with my workouts. I always have. The past 4 years, I buy what Cathe has on (or close to it if I can't find it) during that year's featured workouts. I have to dress to 1. feel good about myself...I can see myself in a mirror as I workout (sometimes not a good thing as I might change outfits 2 or 3 times; depends on how many desserts I've been into) and 2. I personally cannot wear just any old thing because I do not feel comfortable in that unless I'm painting the house, and 3. my workout room is located where I get lots of traffic. I can't change locations because DH coverted the entire double garage into my room but still... I never know who might show up. I can't work at night because I'm in school at night, I work for the farm during the day. So I'm stuck with traffic at anytime in my space.
Bonus to that scenario is when family and friends or UPS or FedX pop in while I'm working out and they say: "Cool outfit....hey, its just like those workout people are wearing."

I went a little overboard with this series because I wanted this series like real bad in a big way! [better graduate soon and get a job to pay for all of this stuff] LOL

Maxi, I couldn't afford to clothe myself for home workouts from KOS USA if I wanted to - LOL!! You would die laughing if you saw what I workout in at home. Running bra and Lycra shorts - black and literally falling apart (two sets - both from WalMart about three years ago!!), white socks I wouldn't be caught dead in outside, and my oldest underwear because they're so comfortable! The only "new" thing I wear is very good shoes I replace at least three times a year.

I would imagine a lot of people get motivation from new workout clothes, and if I could justify spending the money I might buy some once in a while, but I prefer to give my credit card a workout by purchasing new workouts and things like a BOSU and my rebounder!! LOL!!

Carol
:)

Lori that is hilarious! I've been guilty of that once or twice--on the rare occasions I've had to miss a gym workout I may have been seen in my flannel PJs doing dips off my coffee table.........:D

I also like to wear nice matching workout clothes even though I workout at home. I used to teach aerobics years ago and so it maybe somewhat of a habit for me also. It also makes me feel more motivated if I'm dressed nice. I even try to match my socks with my outfit, but mainly I wear black socks that match anything. If I exercise late in the day or on the weekend, many times there will be teenagers or others going through my workout area and it makes feel good if I look nice.

I have to have my hair up with my long bangs caught up in a sweatband

I have to have my hair up too - I can't stand the sound of my hair bouncing against my ears!

All the workout pieces I have I have accumulated over time by purchasing not on sale but on clearance or at close -outs. I do like to see the muscle I'm working out. I guess I'm a bit of a "mirror athlete".

But the more my devious mind works, the more I am inclined to purchase some matching outfits without telling my DH. He already thinks I'm obsessed with Cathe. When he see's me working out with a matching outfit, I can imagine he'll think I need a shrink or a 12 step group or somethng. It'll be hysterical.

smoogy

I always buy my gear at target but cold not find anything good this year and the pants I have a really wearing thin so I htought may as well try something new could not find anything comfy like I had so tried the Cathe stuff which is the first time I did and really the prices aren't much higher then my target mossimo and if it last as long I will be happy! so far I love the fabric and the feel 2 thigns that make it easier to workout I have worked out at home and when i started 21 years ago it was a tshirt and undies what a sight
Lisa

When I started out exercising at home I wore ratty leftovers, but as time has gone on I have evolved.:+ I wear nice clothes to work out in now, & I like to have matching outfits. My hair MUST be up & a sweatband worn. If I wear my hm, I must have a wrist sweatband. All of these things "go" with different outfits I use.
Yes, I feel motivated when I wear nice clothes, and I enjoy them. Sometimes I wear some of the outfits to work or to shop in. But notice, I said nice clothes, not expensive clothes. I will buy maybe one or two expensive items in a year or so, but one of them will be shoes! Otherwise, I find all my workout clothes online or in Marshall's or even Goodwill.
I will never be able to workout in a gym as I do not drive, so I like to make my home experience as pleasant & fun as possible.
Ruth:)

About the only thing I won't skimp on is my shoes. I try to get the best. That is usually avia. I have bought a pair of Freddy shoes and do like them although they required my getting used to them compared to my Ryka's. I also wear a good sports bra. Other than these it is just a t-shirt and shorts.

Kim

Good point! If I've been consistent I'll treat myself to new workout clothes, too! I LOVE NON-FOOD REWARDS!!!
~Kim

I've found some of the best quality cotton lycra workout pants (ankle length, capris, shorts & bootlegs) by JC Penney's St. John's Bay line. They're good weight, wash and line dry beautifully and are easy on the budget. I'm not very well endowed so I can get away w/ Champion job bras or tankinis w/ shelf bras. I, too, like to match my socks with my outfit but usually settle for black cotton/lycra blend unless I'm running and then I'll wear a pair of Champion sneaker socks w/ nice cushy soles. I wore Avia cross-trainers for years, but I've been hooked on Ryka for the last two years. I had a pair of Avias "in service" when I got hooked on Cathe but they didn't provide adequate forefoot cushioning and heel stability so I pikced up a pair of Ryka "Drive" on sale and love 'em. I seldom pay full price for anything. I work in manufacturing and we own a retail business. NO ONE HAS TO PAY THE FULL TICKETED PRICE OF ANYTHING! Make a deal/shop around! I'm intrigued by the thought of lifting weights in my jammies! I usually wear Hanes sweats to bed in the winter 'cuz I have three dogs that can have me running outside at all hours (I consider it part of my workout training!) so lifting weights in jammies wouldn't be a huge departure from workout clothes! What a fun thread this has been!

We live in Grand Central Station (okay not really..it just seems that way..FedEx, UPS, Home office, Kid's friends, employees), so I get cool workout gear at someplace like TJ Maxx. I never know when someone will see me. Same outfit: TJ Maxx $20, Nordstrom $85.

I live in Central Florida where it's hot and humid even when it's cool (if that makes sense). I wear an old one piece bathing suit.

I spend good money on my shoes because I feel they're important. I could afford the stuff from KOS but I'd rather spend that money on other things. I don't see the point. But....I work out at 5:30 in the morning. DH is still in bed at that time so it's only me, the dog and the mirror.

I figure the more of me that's exposed, the more I can see where I need work:7

I used to work out in target biker shorts then my runner friend gifted me with 2 pair adidas running shorts. She kept telling me how GREAT they were, but I really did not believe it was that big of deal, and really did'nt want to spend the cash on it. No one really sees me, but let me tell you I have had these work out shorts for a year and a half now and I CAN'T work out in anything else now. These shorts are just so light weight and nice it's like I am not wearing anything. No rubbing or anything. I am still telling my friend thank-you after all this time and she always says "I know" They wash up really nice and still look new. I also work out in my champion work-out bra that was recommended from this forum that I LOVE!! (Thank you susan!!) And a pair of new balance cross trainers!! I am tempted to get a pair of black work out pants like Cathes, but not sure if I would like something on my legs???????

>I also recently saw an episode of Oprah (about cleaning out
>your closets of all things) where she was talking about
>clothing. A designer that she met told her -- "you should
>only wear clothes that make you feel alive". My old t-shirts
>and baggy shorts don't make me feel alive. It doesn't matter
>if anyone sees me or not. It just affects my mental state.
>So, I try to wear things that make me feel good.

Yes! That's it exactly! I've gotten rid of several sets of workout clothes that were "okay" but didn't make me feel like I looked REALLY GOOD. And I recently purged my closets of all my sweat pants, which were comfy and warm, but made me feel dumpy. Now, I've gotten some more stylish "sweat pants" that make me feel good (except when I'm painting something, or doing home repairs, or plunging the toilet..that's what schlumpy clothes are for!!).

>I must say I am in your corner! I have never spent I think
>more than $15 on any of my workout wear.

You can still keep within that budget without wearing ratty old clothes! I've gotten some cute exercise tops at Walmart for $3! I just got two pairs of long bootcut pants from a Reebok factory outlet: one was full price, the second was 1/2 price, and I got 20% off on top of that for being an AAA member. Total for both $24.

My home IS my gym. I have to wear workout clothes that make me feel like I'm at the gym, otherwise, it's too easy blow it off. When I get home from work, I change into my "gym" clothes (nothing too expensive, but stylish, fitted workout clothes like boot cut pants and a long bra top). I only wear my workout clothes to workout in. When I'm done working out, I change out of them and then into the comfy sweats or pjs. It's probably a psychological trick on my part to separate my home from my workout, if that makes sense? I worked out with a trainer once who gently said that sweats and an oversized tee didn't make anyone feel good about themselves. He was right (at least for me).

Maximus,

I was curious about that too. I'm also a NYC dweller, and, although I'm not on a tight budget (I don't even like typing the "b" word), NYC life is expensive and I never waste money. I couldn't imagine spending money on clothes that nobody sees except me. I do all my Cathe workouts in my underwear. It keeps me from overheating.
What part of the NYC metro area do you live/work in?

-Nancy

I personally feel better when I'm wearing attractive workout apparel. I wouldn't feel motivated at all wearing just a t-shirt & baggy shorts. I used to be in a gym so I still have Speedo bra tops that I wear w/my Nike black shorts. The clothes make me feel like I'm back in the gym. Kathy:D

Hey Kim...
The clothes lasts longer too. ;-) 3 bites of raspberry cheesecake and it is all gone (except for where it lands on my hips) I can get more use out of workout gear. LOL

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.