Cueing in Low Max?

I've only been working out with Cathe for a few weeks now and don't have many of her DVDs...yet! But do far, I've noticed in LowMax that she most often cues RIGHT on the move (or 1-2 seconds AFTER the move). I was wondering if these are mistakes in cueing, or is it done on purpose to add to the learning curve, keeping workouts fresh, and working up to things that I have seen menionted on Cathe stuff.

Also, do all the workouts cue like this? Or are there some that cue with more notice? Also, I noticed with LowMax in terms of the "over the step" moves, diagonals, etc., she does not really cue on which foot goes up first...I feel like if there was more cueing, and earlier cueing, I would be able to master the choreography in like 2 workouts. But again, is it done on purpose so that we don't master that quick so that we will have new challenges each time we do the workout? For me, I'd rather have the challenge of doing the moves, and working up to deeper range of motion, rather than the challenge of figuring out how to do the moves.

Some of her earlier stuff is cued better. I have been doing Cathe for 10 years, so for me, Lo Max was not hard at all, and by the second time, I had it all nailed. But that is because I am used to her. I understand the frustration though. I went to a live class where the instructor just assumed everyone knew her verbiage and routine, and it was terrible. At least no one is around to see you stumble at home!

I tried to do Low Max as one of my first Cathe workouts and got frustrated. I put it away and bought the Classics DVD and a few others (can't remember which ones) and then went back to LM and it was much easier to learn then.

Yes, once you get used to Cathe's style the choreography gets much easier.

One of the things that makes Cathe such a great home instructor & so effective for advanced exercisers is that she doesn't spend a lot of time breaking down the moves--she goes right into the high intensity stuff. I think the philosophy behind this is you'll be doing any particular workout frequently enough that once you have the choreography down you won't have to be bored or waste your time going through stuff you already know.

I had too left feet when I started and thought I could never do step. I bought Cathe's basic step DVD, got the moves, and went on and with a lot of practice I can do her DVDs without too much difficulty (I still have trouble with some segments).

All of her step DVDs are like this, unfortunately. The cueing in some is almost non-existent. It's my one and only gripe with Cathe workouts. Luckily, she has enough other cardio workouts that I enjoy more anyway, so I just do those. Actually, the step bothers my knees too, so it's not a big deal. I wish she would improve on this though, because videos like Body Max and LIC look good and right now I can only do the premixes, as a result.

I've found her cueing for the most part to be excellent, but this is just my opinion and could very well influenced by the fact that I did her basic videos to get a good handle on the the basics. I can't recommend this enough for others out there having trouble (thank you to those on this board who suggested it--you were right!). Once you graduate to the next level you can always fall back on those workouts on "rest" days.

I think Cathe's cuing is off on this one, and not intentionally. Right near the beginning, she seems to go blank an not even cue the next move (when we're combining some move with the reverse mambo).

I think some of the choreography in low max is a bit trickier at first - but then easy when you get it down - makes you think though huh ;)

I think her cueing is the best in the industry - I hate it when instructors pause and then go into it - Cathe moves from one thing right into the next, so you do sort of get a feel for things.....

I started with RS - yup - Rythmic Step was my FIRST Cathe step and within two tries I had it down no probs, but I come with a dance background, so its pretty easy for me to pick up - some of my friends had problems with some of her trickier stuff but start with

IMAX ONE - super easy to master yet HIGH intensity
Power Max - super easy to master yet good intensity

from there you can do any of them - IMO!!!

I am not good with choreography, but I'm trying....

I've done low max mabye 6 times now, and I still don't have the 3rd step segment. I tend to skip it and go to the blast. As a matter of fact.....the third step segment in the few step tapes I have of her seem to universally give me trouble. :) I'll go work on it, breaking it down bit by bit, and get it one day.

But I don't think her cueing is sub-par. She's doing a much better job than I'd ever be able to do. :)

(p.s., I want to get good at it, in case I'm lucky enough to go on a road trip next year! Don't want to embarrass myself...too much... :) )

I seem to recall that this workout was designed with minimal breakdown of the moves. Constant TIFTing can get monotonous with time.

I could be wrong, but that's my impression.

I am not good at picking up the steps easily, so at someone's suggestion here I purchased Step Heat. Now when I get one of her newer workouts I do pick it up faster, but not as fast as some here.

Since it is not a live class and I will be doing the workout several times, I do appreciate the lack of break down in the long run, since it staves off boredom.

I always watch a workout prior to doing it which helps.

I am not very good at step at all and I can do LowMax, so anyone can!! I just made sure to preview it and also do a few moves along with Cathe before doing the whole workout!
Jenn

What does "TIFTing" mean?

And I am on board with everyone who said that in the long run, when I have mastered things, I will be glad that she is not holding my hand and spoon feeding the moves to me. But still, with so many workouts to choose from, I can't guarantee that I will have everyone memorized enough so that cueing-on-move will work everytime. Or, again, maybe that's the point....that even after you mastered a workout, it's still fresh because when you go back to it after having not done it for a week or so, it is fresh all over again.

Anyway, the cueing is not going to make or break my interest in Cathe. I was just wondering if it was intentional or not, and sounds like it is not 100% intended.

I can't guarantee that I
>will have everyone memorized enough so that cueing-on-move
>will work everytime. Or, again, maybe that's the point....that
>even after you mastered a workout, it's still fresh because
>when you go back to it after having not done it for a week or
>so, it is fresh all over again.

It's kind of like a song you knew all the words to when you were younger and haven't heard in awhile - one day you hear it and still remember all the words - maybe a small stumble.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.