CTX Kickbox

wendyloo

Cathlete
Wow! I've done this video three times, and the first two times I liked it and broke a pretty good sweat, but my heart rate wasn't that high, really. I wondered to myself, "what is Cathe doing that is making her feel this so much?!" I think I've figured it out :) When she says to do 100%, I thought I was really going all out. This last time, though, I REALLY did 100%, and wow what a difference!!! Of course my methods for getting to that point will probably sound strange to some people...
this time as I was doing the punches and kicks, I really tried to imagine that there was something there at the end of each kick or punch that I had to get away from me! (the first two times I just imagined the face of this really terrible person whom I know --I know that's pretty awful, isn't it) This time I just kept thinking about how I would really need a lot of POWER behind each kick and punck if I wanted to save myself from an attack. Paranoid theory, I suppose, but boy did it work!
Wendy

That's what I do too. It makes me feel really powerful to pretend I'm beating up on an attacker and wondering what kind of damage I could do. (Bam! take this, Boom! take that) Hope I never have to use this but I'm sure its mentally giving me an edge and adds to making this video alot of fun to do. Having a vivid imagination makes life fun. (hehehe)

Or a punching bag

Visualizing a person doesn't work well for me -- I end up feeling really ANGRY and MEAN. So if there's anyone else out there who feels that way, I wanted to mention an alternative. I pretend that I'm trying to move a heavy, heavy punching bag. I have to put all my body strength into my punches and kicks to make that sucker move. And then quickly get back into a guard position so that it can't come back at me and knock me down. It works. :-cool

RE: Or a punching bag

Great idea, Daphne! I'm not mean or angry ( ;-) ), but I probably sounded that way! I don't really imagine the attacker as a person, just as a presence that requires me to be powerful to get rid of it. The whole imagery thing works well!
Wendy

RE: I do the same thing!!

Especially when Cathe does the knee, kick, side kick, cross punch combo. I say to myself groin, face, groin, face. As if there are two people one in front and one on the side of me. I'm sure this is awful, but hey, what can I say? It works for me!;-)!

I'm glad it works for you

And you didn't sound mean or angry at all! Most people use the technique that you describe and I've heard them say that it really helps them. But for some reason, it has the opposite effect on me: I just feel a lot of tension in my neck and shoulders and I feel kind of mad when I'm done. So I get a better workout when I can get mental satisfaction from seeing how far I can budge that (imaginary) punching bag. Whatever works for you -- keep it up!!!

I can't either Daphne

I also have been thinking about the punching bag thing. Thinking about hitting someone at 6 am is just too much for me, its hard enough getting out of bed. I have been punching a tiny bit higher, because I'm super short and if one day I really do need to try to fight for my safety, it'd be good to get that kick to the groin, or a shot to the chin.

Although I don't care to think about hitting anyone, its is not a bad idea to rehearse what you would do if you were attacked. I know one self-defense course had women practicing yelling no. So, its one of those things where people go both ways.

My punches and kicks

This probably sounds silly, but it works for me. When I am kickboxing, I like to imagine I am fighting against something I am totally helpless against - it usually is some evil I've seen on the news or some fatal disease. It's nothing specific or personal, but it really makes me feel more aggressive.
Erica

I might try that, Erica

I have to read 5 or 6 newspapers every morning when I get to work. I skim as much as possible, but certain headlines really stick with me, especially news stories involving children. It is just too much for me to imagine what some people have to go through in their lives. Maybe it would help me deal with those horrible stories better if I imagined defeating the forces behind them ...

On the other hand, I have to admit that I'm afraid to try. It is so hard to get the images out of my mind. My husband thinks I am nuts, but sometimes I'll wake up at night and be unable to go back to sleep because of something I heard or read that day where a child was hurt. I think that extra sensitivity goes hand-in-hand with motherhood. The things they don't tell you about in college!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.