CTX and strength rotation question

stephanie932

Cathlete
I recently bought CTX......and I saw from other posts it is a good one. I want to add some extra strength work to this, though. I have S&H, PS, PUB, PLB, ME, SS, and PP. Which do you think would be most compatable and how would you incorporate it in a 6 day workout schedule? How many weeks should I do this rotation to see results?
I'm trying to lose some weight, as well.

Thanks for your input!!

~Stephanie~

"Happiness is knowing what you are doing next without me saying it!" - Cathe

Hi Stephanie,

I really like CTX. I have used it with PSS & the pyramids to add on weight work.

You could use it like it is set up. I would separate LL and power curcuits because of the leg work. Most of the time I say use a rotation as long as you see result, but CTX has a lot of impact, try it for 4 weeks and see how you feel. I don't know what you are use to or what conditon your joints are in but I would caution you to listen to your body. I like to alternate CTX cardio with other cardio if I am going for a longer rotation.

Another way I like CTX is using upper body/lower body splits (I get good results with this). Add cardio days in between.

When you are ready for a change, start a S/H rotation (3-4 weeks). I like to alternate S/H days with walking (at least 4 miles) or running (I run like a turtle). I also like to add stretching, yoga, & core work to this type of rotation.

Give your body time to adjust to any rotation. Use your rotation as long as you get the desired results or until you get bored. Work on a nutrition plan at the same time as your workout rotation for best results.

Just a couple of my choices,
jordan

Wendy.......for some reason I lean more to Cathe's lifting than her cardio. I love both, but my knees ache constantly....not very promising at 34. So that's why I asked...lol

Jordan......TY so much for those suggestions. I think you replied once before to one of my posts on rotations and were very helpful then also. I just really don't understand how to set up rotations and get all confused.....especially when I don't have all the workouts that are called for in one of Cathe's. So, TY once again!!!

~Stephanie~

Hi Stephanie,

I didn't put your two posts together until now, my bad. My post would not have been my first recommendation. A couple of things jump out at me:

You are just coming off BS/BF rotation.
You are begginer/intermediate level.
Your knees ache when you do Cathe cardio.
You want to lose weight.

Since you want to lose weight, diet and aerobic exercise are key. CTX has good cardio choices but they are intense and some of the choreography is challenging (the speed is fast) for those new to Cathe. This series was meant to be challenging & time efficient. If you are coming off BS/BF this might be frustratung and hard on your knees. I viewed BS and tried BF and they seemed (for me) basic and slower paced. This is what they were meant to be. I just think you would do better with a slower progression. If you need some ideas just ask and we will toss some around.

You also need weight training to build some muscle and boost your metabolism. You seem to have a good selection. I don't think S/H is the best choice at this time (if you are new to all this). It is a great series but requires concentration. If you are coming off the beginner workouts, my suggestions would be different. Again, if you want to rethink all this just let me know.

Finding the right fit will keep you from getting discouraged and injury free. The workouts we discussed earlier may be ok, but I just want to make sure you don't take on more than you have to in your transition. We have already discussed some other basics so I won't rehash.

Some things to think about,
jordan

If you don't mind Jordan, I'm going to list what I have and maybe you could suggest something. While doing the BS/BF rotation I collected many, many of Cathe's workouts but have yet to try them because of the rotation. Thank goodness for overtime and Christmas money....lol

This is what I have now and I also have Low Max, Muscle Max, Core Max, Stretch Max and the 3 Gym Style workouts coming....but I don't expect them till much later than you all because I just ordered them at the end of December. That's why I'm hoping for a 4-6 week rotation to tide me over.

BS/BF
HSC
HSTA
Timesaver
SS/PP
Terminator
BC/ME
PLB/PUB
Ab Hits
The Classics
S&H
PS Series
CTX Series

I do modify alot of the high impact because of my knees and still really feel like I'm getting a great workout...so, if that is okay, I'll keep doing that thru some of the more high impact workouts.

Thanks again!
~Stephanie~

Hi Stephanie,

You have a great selection. I don't think that you'll have to wait long for the HC series, SNM gets all the preorders out pretty fast. It is fine to modify impact, in fact it is the smart thing to do. Just a few questions,
Do you do any other type of cardo?
How long have you been working out?
How long have you been working out with weights?
How much time per day do you have to work out?
Do you know why Cathe cardio is bothering your knees?

If your knees are just weak your exercise routine may strengthen them but if you have medical reasons you will have to be very careful.

You have some workouts that are better to start with than CTX & S/H. Of course, the best program is one that you will do consistently. That it is why it is best to have fun.

Cardio-
(step) BS, BF, step jam, step heat, step max,
(circuit) HSC, HSTA, BC,
(interval) Lomax
(interval/circuit) terminator
(mixed cardio & wt) timesaver, CTX

Weight-
(endurance) SS, PP, ME, MM (this may be strength, I have high hopes for this)
(strength) pyramids (a little fast can be endurance), PSS, S/H, gym style
(abds) ab hits, core max
(stretch) stretch max

If you are new, I would start with Time saver before CTX.
I think the classics are good transitions and yes, feel free to modify. I would think about limiting the amount of step at first. Lomax may be what you are looking for, we will have to wait and see.

For total body weight, I think muscle max is going to be good. But the pyramids combo is simple to use. PP/SS are intermediate but they have weight work on the stability ball and lots of equipment changes. ME is a good choice (and can be split)but tougher than PP/SS. You have a nice selection of strength weight workouts. I would start with PSS. Gym style sounds good but that's a wait and see. S/H works well for me but it does take concentration.

You can tailor your workouts or try generic rotations to see what works for you. Either way you will need to tweak them as you note your body's response and decide on your goals.

You can do a generic total body rotation. Start with 2 total body workouts and 3 cardio workouts. You will have to add cardio and maybe a total body workout later.
day 1- total body
day 2- cardio
day 3- stretch
day 4- cardio
day 5- total body
day 6- cardio
day 7- rest

You can do a generic upper/lower body split rotation.
weeks 1 & 3
day 1- lower body
day 2- cardio
day 4- upper body
day 5- cardio
day 6- lower body
day 7- rest/stretch

weeks 2 & 4
day 1- upper body
day 2- cardio
day 3- lower body
day 4- cardio
day 5- upper body
day 6- cardio
day 7- rest/stretch

You can do a mixed rotation
day 1- lower body
day 2- cardio
day 3- chest/triceps/shoulders or chest/back
day 4- back/biceps/ or biceps/triceps/shoulders
day 5- cardio
day 6- total body
day 7- rest/stretch

There are many choices. Remember, have fun and be as structured or spontaneous as you need to be. You'll learn what works for you.

I have to go for now but I'll be on the computor later,
jordan

Jordan......I can't believe you took all this time to help me.....I really didn't expect this!!!! I am very appreciative.

To answer your questions:

Do you do any other types of cardio? I have a rebounder and about 7 workouts to go w/ it, Firms - BSS2 & BSS3 workouts, I also have the FitPrimes and KickButts ordered and I have AM/PM Stretch and Tamilee Stretch for beginners (oops, those go w/ stretch)

How long have you been working out? I've been workout since August mostly the Firms.

How long have you been working out with weights? Just with what I did with the Firm, so since August. I know it's not much but w/ the Firms I was using 5's, 8's, and 10's for my weights. I do have all the equipment for Cathe except a medicine ball right now. I did just get a barbell w/ 55lb. for the workouts.

How much time per day do you have to work out? I workout 6 days a week 45 mins. to an hour. Altho, on weekends, I regularly do two 45-minute workouts. Saturdays is usually a cardio and a strength and on Sunday's I usually do 2 cardio workouts. I do this to take advantage of exercise time I don't have because of teaching.....no children, yet......can you tell? lol

Do you know why Cathe cardio is bothering your knees? I have no medical diagnosis, but they have bothered me since I started leg presses w/ the Firm. I'm 5'1" tall and I really think that FL did more havoc than it should have. I recently got the High Step so I could adjust that height to 8" or 10" and when I use only 2 risers my knees do NOT hurt the next day. But, I just got the high step...so I'm still experimenting. As far as the cardio, when I do all the high impact...they are sore for at least 2 days afterwards. So, I modify....I have to admit when they feel good, tho.........I still do the impact because I love doing it and feel strong.

I really don't know how to thank-you enough because this is exactly what I was looking for as far as generic rotations. I just didn't know how to classify what I had so that I would be using it properly.

As mentioned in the first post you answered a week ago, I am trying to lose weight...at 5'1" I weigh 165 but am in size 10/12's. I'm thinking I should probably get to 130 for a healthy weight. The reason I'm looking for all this rotation advice is because in just this month w/ a beginner type rotation w/ Cathe....I have had several people tell me they can tell I'm losing weight, but in reality.....I haven't lost a single pound.....grrrrrrrr......but I know I have to be losing the inches. So, I know her workouts are doing wonders for me and I just don't want to screw that up.

I hope I didn't have you preoccupied w/ all this for too long. I probably gave you too much info. with all my rambling.....but once again, TY for taking the time to explain all this.

~Stephanie~

Hi Stephanie,

Congratulatons on your progress in such a short time. Your hard work has paid off. You sound like you have a healthy attitude. Losing inches is better than the scale weight changes. I don't mind brainstorming with you. It really is hard to give advice when all the information isn't known, that's why I ask so many questions. Watch your form and listen to your body.

Why don't you try a modified M&F hers rotation. It will definately burn calories. It will also give you an opportunity to sample your new stash. You can figure out what you like.

Week 1
day 1- HSC
day 2- BS
day 3- time saver #4 (cardio only)
day 4- HSC (or BC)
day 5- one of the classics of your choice
day 6- HSC (or HSTA)
day 7- rest/stretch

Week 2 (you only have to do 1 or 2 sets of S/H to save on time or you could try PSS instead)
day 1- S/H legs
day 2- S/H back plus 30 min rebounder workout & abds
day 3- S/H shoulders plus 10-10-10 from CTX (cardio only)
day 4- S/H chest
day 5- S/H biceps plus 30 min cardio of choice & abds
day 6- S/H triceps plus time saver #1 (cardio only) & abds
day 7- rest/stretch

Week 3
day 1- ME
day 2- CTX- kickbox (cardio only)
day 3- CTX- step & intervals (cardio only)
day 4- ME
day 6- time saver #2 (cardio only)
day 7- stretch/rest

Week 4
day 1- Pyramid combo
day 2- 45 min rebounder workout
day 3- CTX- all step (cardio only)
day 4- Push pull
day 6- time saver #3 (cardio only)
day 7- rest/stretch

If you are still alive, repeat for weeks 5-8 or change rotations. Modify, modify, modify. Oh, did I say modify if you need to. Add abd work if needed. Add more cardio on the second round if you like. Get plenty of rest and keep your diet in check.

You can change anything or all ;-),
jordan

Jordan.......TY TY TY

I just got done saving both of your "explaining" replies to word documents and printed out the suggestion rotation you made.

I'm done tomorrow with the BS/BF rotation, so this is perfect timing. It will be great fun to do more of Cathe's workouts and know that I'm doing them in a proper sequence!

I'll let you know if I'm still alive.....lol......and my progress!

Thanks again!!!!
~Stephanie~

Hi Jordon.

I just wanted to compliment you on the time and effort you are taking to help Stephanie out here. That is wonderful of you! Not that other ladies here wouldn't do it but since I have been following this particular thread, I thought I'd tell you what a great person you are for helping out so much! This is why this forum is so awesome!:)

Have a great work out!

~Wendy~

http://lilypie.com/days/050519/1/0/1/-5/.png[/img][/url]

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?WENDYMIN

Stepanie,

So you are getting ready to move on to "the next step", after the BS/BF rotation? Good for you and best of luck!

I give you credit for sticking with that rotation. BS/BF is a great dvd but to do a rotation BASED on it for a month solid would bore me...not enough variety. ;( I guess that is where discipline comes in though...I definately have it as far as DOING the work out (jeez, sometimes I think I am ADDICTED, not simply disciplined! lol) but I'm still workin' on stickin' with a pre-planned rotation. I'm not real good at that. :p

I just finished up a month's rotation that was loosely planned. I planned out the days I would do cardio only-cardio/upper body weights-cardio/lower body weights and a total body weight w/o but MOST of the specific work outs I would do were NOT pre-planned coz that's where my difficulty lies. I am on to a completely pre-planned ctx rotation...let's see if I can stick with it! Keep your fingers and toes crossed for me, ok? lol

Take Care!

Have a great work out!

~Wendy~

Hey, Wendy

The rotation did have days that included High Step Circuit....and days w/ just the Upper Body Add Ons, and Lower Body Add Ons.......so it was like 5 different workouts. And, I have to admit, on some of the rest days I threw in some rebounding to keep a little more variety intact. I just wanted a solid foundation of her steps...you and I talked about how "left-footed" we both are......lmao

You totally amaze me though....with all your exercising and being pregnant. My DH and I haven't talked about it, but I hope when we do, I continue like you are. I never want to be back at 190....NEVER!!!

Oh, BTW....your tummy pictures are adorable!

I agree that I never expected this much help w/ a rotation....and I really, really am overwhelmed by the time Jordan put into this for me! It is nice to know that there are people willing to take some of their precious, VALUABLE time to help others!

~Stephanie~

Good morning Stephanie,

Just wanted to add a few things. This rotation may be tough so if you need a rest day, take it.

There is a lot of new choreography, but Cathe builds on her steps. Try to review first and watch for modification pointers. If you need to do the same classic tape over, for example, instead trying out all three, than that is ok.

You can substitute a weight or plain ball for your medicine ball in most cases. You can substitute dumb bells for the bar bell if there are too many or too quick equipment changes (at least at first). Be careful with your step height (applies to both cardio and weights). You don't have to match Cathe's lifting weight, go as heavy as what challenges you with good form.

If you have to add a second workout, make it a stretch workout. Your body will thank you for that one.

Drink plenty of water.

You probably know all this and I'm sure I've missed something, good luck.

Check in and let us know your progress :) .

Wendy,

I hope you are modifying by now. You sound like the energizer bunny. You know that your body is going through lots of changes, so be safe. And get some rest.

Thank you for your kind words. I am gald that you joined in the discussion. Sometimes when I answer this type of thread no one else jumps in with advice. I kinda feel like I have killed the thread and left the person, asking the question, short. There is probably no relation but *sigh*. I just want everyone to find what works, stay motivated, and be healthy.

It has been my pleasure,
jordan

Jordan,

I never think about a "stretch" workout as my 2nd one....I'll have to start doing that more often. I never even classified them as workouts until I started reading about how good that stretch is for your body. Thanks for the reminder!

~Stephanie~

>I hope you are modifying by now. You sound like the energizer
>bunny. You know that your body is going through lots of
>changes, so be safe. And get some rest.
>
>Thank you for your kind words. I am gald that you joined in
>the discussion. Sometimes when I answer this type of thread
>no one else jumps in with advice. I kinda feel like I have
>killed the thread and left the person, asking the question,
>short. There is probably no relation but *sigh*. I just want
>everyone to find what works, stay motivated, and be healthy.

Hi Jordon,

Yes, I am certainly the "modification queen" at this point!:D Heck, I was modifying from the day I found out I was pregnant! I was basically modifying more than I had to in the beginning but I wasn't sure so I figured better safe than sorry! I have modified my cardio work outs down to basically no impact and have lightened up on the weights I use but even with that, I still feel I get a good work out! My body is workin' O/T right now makin' sure my little boy is developing properly :+ so even if I was told I COULD kick it back up a notch, I don't think I'd be physically capable of it right now. I'm just very happy that I was given the green light to keep exercising at all and hope that that green light stays on until I deliver!:)

Have a great work out!

~Wendy~

Stephanie,

After I did Basic Step and Body Fusion a few times, I jumped right into "Power Max" off the Cardio Hits cd. Took me some time and lots of patience but I picked it up alot quicker than I ever thought I would! I can now do it all the way through (modified to low impact ofcourse) with out really messing it up at all! I think Cathe has actually helped me to cure that 2 left feet syndrome I was stricken with for so many years when it came to step! lol

My exercise routine has become such a PART of me and my life in general that it bothers me when I can't work out. If this wasn't the case, I don't think that I'd be so good about exercising during pregnancy! I must say though, I truly believe I am benefiting from it in sooo many ways while pregnant so I am happy I have stuck with it.

Good luck with your next rotation! I wish you fabulous results!!!:7

Have a great work out!

~Wendy~

Well, Jordan and Wendy......I started the rotation. I did jump to the second week w/ Slow and Heavy (today was the leg section) because I wanted to start w/ weight training. Can I just say that I have never, ever, had my legs tremble this much. OMG did they shake during those plies (sp?) I only had 25 lbs. on that barbell for the squats and 20 lbs. for the static lunges (pitiful compared to Cathe's 50...lol).......but, oh boy, am I sore.....so, tomorrow if I can sit to pee, I'll be amazed....lol (sorry if that was TMI...lol)

I have to say it was much more difficult than I expected. Not that I thought it would be easy, but you weren't kidding w/ the concentration, Jordan. It took me to the 3rd set every time to NOT beat Cathe on the "up" part of the movement. I usually HATE working my legs...not sure why, but I do. This, altho very tough is a workout I can definitely see doing again.

TY again Jordan.......I'll keep you both posted!

~Stephanie~

Evening Stephanie,

Good for you. I think you are going to enjoy this series by the sounds of things. I knew you would skip ahead after reading your reply to Wendy about your last rotation. I wondered how you were doing, but thought that I better give you some time. I am glad that you checked in. When you described your leg workout, I wanted to ask, were you shaking like a chihuahua. You may not get it now but you will :7 . I can't believe you did all three sets. I really am glad you liked this workout. Don't overdo. Please continue to keep us informed. We'll be here for support.

Wendy,
It is a relief to know that you are modifying. You and your little one are off to a good start. Liked your pictures by the way. Hope you are still following this thread but if your not, I'll catch up with you.

Later,
jordan

Yes, I'm still following the thread, Jordan. :)

Stephanie and I are at similar levels when it comes to Cathe so reading this thread is really inspiring me for my post-delivery work outs! I was already pregnant when I discovered Cathe -switched over from the Firm-so I have never been able to give it my ALL with Cathe. I really look forward to the day that I can begin doing that and reading about Stephanie's triumphs will keep me motivated until that day arrives!

Have a great work out!

~Wendy~

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.