Cross Back Lunge question

firemedic

Cathlete
I was wondering if there is a difference (other than core) with doing cross back lunges with the disc or without? I've noticed that since getting older, I feel like I don't have the balance like I use to and I just don't feel stable doing them on the disc. I also like without the disc I can use a heavier weight. So is there any other advantage to using the disc other than working the core also?

I feel like the disc puts a much greater emphasis on the muscles of the stationary leg because the disc stops gliding if too much weight is placed on the gliding leg. Makes it more unilateral and this definitely adds to the core/balance challenge when using the disc

Balance does tend to decrease with age and the risks of falls/injuries increases as we get older. That's even more reason, in my opinion, why we should add more balance challenges to our workouts. If you don't want to do the sliding discs with weights, maybe do the segment without the weight or use a lower weight. Or be sure to add other workouts that include balance challenges. There are some Jessica Smith & Jane Adams yoga-ish dvds that have some good balance challenges. I find that my balance has increased by including the disc segments, but I started with lower weights than Cathe until my balance improved. HTH

Good question. It's up to you to skip it. There are two different exercises. You need your balance for both and even your core when you go heavier.

Cross back lunges put emphasis on inner tigh. That is the difference I like about it. I remember giggling first time I felt it while wondering " what is so different about this new move?".

@jldx2in2000 No:p:p you are not the only one. I feel it righ there too, fellow cathlete ☺

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.