Creatine ?

Take a look at the May 2010 issue of Oxygen magazine which featured an article on the benefits of creatine to women.

Creatine works differently in women than in men, according to the article. Apparently, when you take it it allows women to train at a higher intensity and a higher volume, which explains why numerous studies have shown that creatine increases muscular strength, muscular power and lean muscle mass. "When a muscle cell has more creatine, each contraction can be more forceful, and you can do more work before the muscle fatigues," the article states. So, if taking creatine, you might be able to eke out more reps with the same amount of weight, thus improving strength.

Studies also showed that taking creatine can improve a woman's anaerobic threshold by 16 %, according to this article. This means that, if you normally run a 7 minute mile, and by taking creatine you can improve your anaerobic threshold by delaying the point at which your muscles fatigue, you could run an 6 1/2 min mile without producing lactic acid. Hence you could perform better at a race or at the gym.

The article continues by stating that unlike men, women taking creatine do not gain weight, but we do see an enhancement in performance. Apparently creatine also has an antioxidant effect that reduces muscle damage, improves recovery and preserves lean muscle. It does not spike insulin, doesn't cause any kind of hormonal reaction in the body, both of which would be negative side effects were they to occur, the article states. It also carries the benefit of no medical or dietary interactions to speak of.

Possible side effects the article reported comprise: "gastrointestinal issues, muscle cramps, bad breath, strains and pains and dizziness." Most of these side effects were noted when scientists were still trying to figure out the correct dosage to take. Apparently, nowadays, side effects are rare.

Suggested dosage in this article is: 3-5 grams per day. Powder form is more easily absorbed than pill form.

So, I am not advocating this, just summarizing the 3 page article for you. It seems interesting? Who knows how much 5 grams per day could cost to the family budget though and are the gains in muscle strength significant enough to warrant the expense? If I have to choose between buying this every month and paying for my daughter's cello lessons, I know which way I am going to vote! Meanwhile, I'll just focus on good nutrition and sleep so I can eke out more reps!

Hope this helps!

Clare

Thanks Clare for the info.. :D

Very interesting! I have added BCAAs and free-form amino acids along with CLA(conjugated linoleic acid). Wasn't sure about the Creatine as there have been pro and cons about it.. But thanks for clearing that up. I think I will stick too these two things along with my other Supplements ...

Thanks again :D
Tracie

I don't take creatine and from what I read about it is has many pro's and cons. I personally don't recommend it because honestly, ingesting anything associated with stimulating growth hormone other than what my body naturally has/makes, just makes me uncomfortable and nervous. I'm sorry that I don't have a more informed answer for you....just going with my gut on this one :)

Just wondering if Creatine is ok to take :confused:

Last edited:
Thanks Cathe

I decided not to take the Creatine ... made me a little nervous also!

Thanks for your input :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.