Counting calories

naynay

Cathlete
Right now I am counting my calories, doing STS I have soccer 6hrs a week and volleyball for about 2hrs. I also try to get in 20min of abbs 5 days a week and some extra cardio when I can. I am trying to thin out my thighs loose stomach fat and build muscle in my arms. Should I cut out sweets and other stuff like that out of my diet or Is it just how many calories I take in every day that matters?

Thanks
Renae

It's so much more than just calories in-calories out! I would suggest that you read Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle (e-book available on Tom Venuto's site) or The Eat Clean Diet by Tosca Reno. It's very true that you can't outwork a bad diet, so no matter how much you work out, you've got to have your diet on track before you will see any differences. Giving up sweets is only the tip of the iceberg.

What I was taught..

Many years ago.. when I was losing weight from having a baby, I did Think Light "diet". Anywho, as the saying went: "If you want less fat on you, put less fat in you." So, yes, it does matter what type of food(fuel) you are putting in your body. Hope this helped:)

Right now I am counting my calories, doing STS I have soccer 6hrs a week and volleyball for about 2hrs. I also try to get in 20min of abbs 5 days a week and some extra cardio when I can. I am trying to thin out my thighs loose stomach fat and build muscle in my arms. Should I cut out sweets and other stuff like that out of my diet or Is it just how many calories I take in every day that matters?

Thanks
Renae

Being aware of how many calories you're eating definitely will help. Just make sure your calories consist of lean protein (skinless chicken breast, fish, ground turkey breast, egg whites, very lean beef or bison), plenty of veggies (without toppings), and a couple pieces of fruit per day. Watch your starchy carbs - breads, potatoes, pasta. Try to limit them to early in the day, and stay away from anything that's not whole grain. Eating 5 or 6 small meals daily is better than 3 large ones - just divide your daily calories by 5 or 6. There are numerous calculators online that will help you figure out how many calories you should be eating based on your weight, height, activity level... If you really want to change your body, say good-bye (at least for now) to sweets, processed foods, soda, white breads and pastas.

It really is so worth it to put quality foods into your body. I've been eating "clean" for almost a year, and I have never felt or looked better. I've been counting my calories for quite awhile, but it never did any good until I changed what the calories were made of.

Another thing to think about is that you can't build muscle and lose weight at the same time. One requires a slight caloric increase (muscle building) and the other requires a caloric deficit. Decide what you want to emphasize first then focus on the other.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.