Could you give up cardio?

RE: No; wouldn't if I could

I'm in full agreement Latow, I'm living proof that Dr. Connelly is no charlatan.

Like I said, to each their own. You love cardio? Do it. I don't and I don't do it, yet I'm in better shape than I was when I spent 5-6 days a week, torturing myself w/areobic exercise.

Go figure. :)

I could give up cardio if I had to, but it is so much fun! And I definitely love the endorphin high I get from it, it makes me so much easier to live with. :) Plus it has made my heart so much healthier! Aerobic activity made the biggest difference for me in terms of making daily activities (walking, etc.) easier.

I do think that if you lift a lot and don't do any "aerobic" activity as such, you still can be really healthy. My husband is a great example - he does a lot of lifting in his job (owns a business), but he doesn't run or do any traditional cardio activity. Yet his heart rate is incredibly low (I think 58 or something like that) and he is the veritable PICTURE of health.

I've started loving lifting weights as well, so I'm happy that I found both and that they're both so good for me!!!

RE: Still NO

Unfortunately, in our skinny-bod / weight-obsessed culture, a certain tunnel vision has developed about the value of exercise modes, and to judge the value of "cardio" strictly in terms of its calorie-burning benefits is like judging the Bible strictly in terms of its entertaining stories.

True, "cardio" work does burn calories. But that is not its only, or perhaps even its main, benefit. Cardio work overloads the heart, pulmonary and vascular systems, making them work harder than when in their resting state, thereby strengthening all of these systems. Cardio work enlarges certain chambers of the heart, enabling more productive pumping at lower effort. Cardio work improves the function of the lungs and respiratory exchange systems. Cardio work improves the vascular systems, bothe the arterial and venous systems, in part be decreasing the vascular resistance to the flowing oxygen-rich or oxygen-depleted / metabolite-rich blood.

It ain't just about calories. It's about maintaining a good working physical system.

A-jock

If done properly, one can get the same 'heart healthy' benefits from strength training. The research is there, Dr. Connelly, as well as other medical and fitness pros, has proven that and as I stated before, since I've begun strength training only, my blood pressure is way down, my resting heart rate is wonderful and I've dropped 23lbs of fat and 9 overall inches.

I'm looking forward to a new year of continued success and good health, sans cardio.

Viva la Difference!

> I did the Body for
>Life program once and I
>followed the workout program except
>for the weights.

The weights are the most important part of BFL.

But I agree, diet makes all the difference for most people.

> I did the Body for
>Life program once and I
>followed the workout program except
>for the weights.

The weights are the most important part of BFL.

But I agree, diet makes all the difference for most people.

I'm also living proof that BodyRX works. I'm 42, 5'2 1/2", 112 pounds at 12% BF. I lift 4 days a week (about an hour) and have not done cardio since last May.

My resting heart rate is low, my blood pressure is about 100/70; my carrdivasucalr system is just fine, thanks.

I'm also living proof that BodyRX works. I'm 42, 5'2 1/2", 112 pounds at 12% BF. I lift 4 days a week (about an hour) and have not done cardio since last May.

My resting heart rate is low, my blood pressure is about 100/70; my carrdivascular system is just fine, thanks.

As a former personal trainer, I am aware that much of the information being dispensed by the certification groups is woefully out of date, and in many cases, inaccurate. This includes quite a bit of the benefits attributed to cardiovascular exercise. Dr. Connelly has forgotten more about the human heart than all of the pseudo-experts will ever figure out. Don't make assumptions until you hear what he has to say.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jan-09-03 AT 01:14PM (Est)[/font][p]I don't really care too much about what is said I like cardio I'm not at all sporty. I actually sit out most ball games when I am out with friends and family. My cardio workouts are all I have I lot them and will continue doing them not only for the calorie burn but because I feel soo good afterward.

I looked at some of the information on the Body RX website but it is just not for me. I'm with Aquajock and as has already been said one size does not fit all.

Babs

Prefab Programs

As a current personal trainer, exercise physiologist, physical therapist and certified athletic trainer who has worked in the fitness industry for over 23 years, I can tell you that A-jock is correct in her contention regarding specificity of training.

Yes, there are some cardio conditioning benefits gained with certain types of strength training, some strength gains seen with certain types of cardio training and flexibility improvements that can be gained with either type of training, depending on the level of fitness of the individual when beginning a program. However, the best improvements in overall fitness come from programs that include some of each type of training.

No one canned program--be it Body Rx, Body for Life, etc--will provide individualized programming. Are they better than nothing at all? Absolutely. They also, by coincidence, may provide a better choice for a given individual than the program the individual may have designed for him/herself. But this doesn't mean that the program is right for everybody. And, just as with fad diets and eliminating an entire category of food, any program that suggests eliminating an entire category of fitness training from a program is a mistake. The hype sure sell a lot of books, though!

The percentage of exercise time allotted to a particular type of training depends on individual physique differences, needs and goals. There is no one perfect program, nor does one size fit all. If you're satisfied with the results of a particular prefabricated program, great! However, realize that this won't be the key for everybody. The best program is one designed for the individual and that the individual will follow.

Maribeth

Prefab Programs

As a current personal trainer, exercise physiologist, physical therapist and certified athletic trainer who has worked in the fitness industry for over 23 years, I can tell you that A-jock is correct in her contention regarding specificity of training.

Yes, there are some cardio conditioning benefits gained with certain types of strength training, some strength gains seen with certain types of cardio training and flexibility improvements that can be gained with either type of training, depending on the level of fitness of the individual when beginning a program. However, the best improvements in overall fitness come from programs that include some of each type of training.

No one canned program--be it Body Rx, Body for Life, etc--will provide individualized programming. Are they better than nothing at all? Absolutely. They also, by coincidence, may provide a better choice for a given individual than the program the individual may have designed for him/herself. But this doesn't mean that the program is right for everybody. And, just as with fad diets and eliminating an entire category of food, any program that suggests eliminating an entire category of fitness training from a program is a mistake. The hype sure sell a lot of books, though!

The percentage of exercise time allotted to a particular type of training depends on individual physique differences, needs and goals. Some people will achieve better results with more cardio while others will get where they want to go with mostly strength training and a minimum of cardio. There is no one perfect program, nor does one size fit all. If you're satisfied with the results of a particular prefabricated program, great! However, realize that this won't be the key for everybody. The best program is one designed for the individual and that the individual will follow.

Maribeth

Prefab Programs

The percentage of exercise time allotted to a particular type of training depends on individual physique differences, needs and goals. Some people will achieve better results with more cardio while others will get where they want to go with mostly strength training and a minimum of cardio. There is no one perfect program, nor does one size fit all. If you're satisfied with the results of a particular prefabricated program, great! However, realize that this won't be the key for everybody. The best program is one designed for the individual and that the individual will follow.

Maribeth

RE: Prefab Programs

That's the beauty of it, its only canned if one chooses to adopt a program verbatim. However, as Dr. Connelly states in his book and program, "Do cardio if you must, just don't overdo it to the point it interfers with your strength training."

I don't think this has to be an argument based on who is right, who is wrong, who has credibility or has the better credentials, I think this should be a lesson in tolerance for that which works for someone who's different than you are.

Problem is that if any given program--call it "Joe Guru's Fantabulous Workout"--doesn't do what it claims, many will get disgusted and give up entirely. They don't realize that it is the lack of individualized programming, not exercise in general, that fails to achieve results.

As pertains to tolerance, the lack thereof for individual differences is where I take issue with prefab programs. Yes, there are general guidelines--very general--but beyond these, the program which will yield the best results depends entirely on the individual. And, stating that strength training HAS to take priority over cardio for each and every person, regardless of body type, needs, goals and health history is a far cry from accepting these differences.

BTW, strength training takes MUCH priority over cardio with me--in my own training regimen. Based on my goals and body type, this is the training method that gets me where I want to go. I also have clients for whom strength training has to be the focus based on their goals and body types. But, I have friends and clients for whom strength training is only a small part of their workouts--and they perform, look and feel fantastic.
Maribeth

This whole conversation reminds me of a discussion on religion whereas this particular religion/aka cardio is the path to heaven and all others are misguided. As I've said over and over, the program I do insists that nutrition is 70% of the plan, and yes strength training IS recommended over cardio w/plenty of scientific evidence to back it up and reason as to WHY this statement is true.

But its my religion and no one likes it? That's cool. I say live and let live but don't dis what I do and what works for me and a whole lotta other people as well.

This is such an interesting post! Of course when I saw can you give up cardio - my response was "NO WAY!" "NEVER" For me personally cardio is what gets me pumped up enough to want to do strength training. Now that I do the overall training, cardio, strength and flexibility - I feel I get a good overall fitness program for me individually.

But my motto has always been, "Which exercise works the best? It is the exercise that someone actually does." Hey, if I didn't care to do cardio and only did strength training or vice versa and it works for me, go for it. It really should be individualized. The day I give up cardio, or strength training or my flexibility is the day I am in the morgue! I love them all and they work great for me.

I am 47, have 10 children and people are totally astounded by how I look. No one believes I have had even one child let alone 10. And I would like to add, I feel the cardio has helped me to keep up with all of their demands. I can tote toddlers around like nobody's business and I do not get winded. The strengthtraiing has helped me in the strength area of lifting them up. I also feel the flexibility part helps to prevent injuries.

Cheryl

This is such an interesting post! Of course when I saw can you give up cardio - my response was "NO WAY!" "NEVER" For me personally cardio is what gets me pumped up enough to want to do strength training. Now that I do the overall training, cardio, strength and flexibility - I feel I get a good overall fitness program for me individually.

But my motto has always been, "Which exercise works the best? It is the exercise that someone actually does." Hey, if I didn't care to do cardio and only did strength training or vice versa and it works for me, go for it. It really should be individualized. The day I give up cardio, or strength training or my flexibility is the day I am in the morgue! I love them all and they work great for me.

I am 47, have 10 children and people are totally astounded by how I look. No one believes I have had even one child let alone 10. And I would like to add, I feel the cardio has helped me to keep up with all of their demands. I can tote toddlers around like nobody's business and I do not get winded. The strengthtraiing has helped me in the strength area of lifting them up. I also feel the flexibility part helps to prevent injuries.

Cheryl

Cheryl

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.