Cory Haim passes

just so sad

Harsh reminder of the dangers of early fame and fortune...loved so many of his movies. may he rest in peace
julie

Yes, very sad. Drug addiction is such a horrific thing to go through. Unfortunately, I have first hand knowledge. My ex-husband is a recovering addict and my 22-year old son is an addict in and out of recovery so stories like this really affect me.

I think it is also a reminder of the dangers of drugs, prescription or otherwise. How many stars have died recently of a reaction to multiple prescribed meds or overdosed on prescription drugs? Heath Ledger, Brittany Murphy ...

So sad! RIP Corey!!!

Last edited:
How tragic! It is so sad when people (celebrity or otherwise) struggle so hard to beat addiction only to fall victim again and again.

Carrie

That is shocking in one respect but then again, not so shocking considering how much he abused his body over the years. Sad to hear.

Was it just drugs or was he ill? He looked absolutely awful! He looked much older than his 38 years. I'm not trying to judge him or his family, but I really wish people would prepare their kids for the harsh reality of growing older in Hollywood and the dangers of the party lifestyle. The parents need to prepare their kids for the fact that the fame and movie rolls probably won't last forever. I don't know what else he had going on besides acting, but it has got to be tough being seen as has been at 20-something.

deedee they didn't have a toxicology report but it was said there was no illegal drugs in the home just prescription. as carola said even if he was clean the combo of legal prescriptions could also fail the body. he had similar symptoms that brittany murphey had(well reported)shortly before passing.

in watching the two coreys IMO there were issues running deeper then just drugs. i think he just had a hard life emotionally and early fame didn't help the matters. its just a shame that he didn't have a chance to rebound and make a comeback. he wasn't that much older then i was so to me he was still young enough. i mean if robert downey jr. can turn it around why not a corey haim.

kassia

The drug culture in Hollywood

As a Canadian, I have followed Corey Haim (a Canadian) in our country's over the years. Haim last year appeared in Toronto-based stories, talking about his addiction. And I enjoyed some of his 1980s films (Lucas, the Lost Boys, the Silver Bullet).

Some media reports say that his career was flagging. But looking at his IMDB page, it shows that he was working on a number of new projects, although they were small budget. There is nothing wrong with that:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000433/

But I am depressed over the Hollywood culture -- the illegal culture (cocaine, marijuanna) and the legal perscribed drugs. The news will come out about whether Haim was doing legal or illegal drugs. (The reports now say he was on perscription drugs).

I am troubled by the drug culture in Hollywood. Too many films glorify it. It is even worse in the rock music culture. For me, good food, exerise and spirituality are the things that society should champion. People kill themselves doing drugs.

I like the Cathe website for its promotion of good health. The postings here are the polar opposite of the Hollywood drug culture.
--Davidj

david i see your point and i hope you don't mind me just saying that its not just a "rock" thing. a lot of musical genres(and in my area and school i work at hip hop seems to be the main focus) glorify drug use. heck even country singer willie nelson makes no secret of his use. i listen to rock,punk, and hardcore and many of those bands do not do or glorify drugs and many promote the straight edge lifestyle(no pre-martial sex,drugs,drink, and promotes healthy living).

drugs i truly agree is a major problem in our society but its not just a US/Hollywood thing. its everywhere its just more out there in our country then in others. so if it wasn't one country glorifying it then another one will.

i think corey suffered a lot from depression and other issues probably stemming from his parents early split in his life and so much change that while he adapted to it to survive in a sense, it bothered him that he never truly had a normal childhood. not to mention experiences he may have had that nobody will ever know. addiction stems a lot of things like that, and even though he was able to kick a drug habit(i really think he was trying to get clean and wasn't on anything at this point) he may have had other issues,hence the prescriptions.

oh and while i am not a famous actor, i to had a hard childhood and mental illness that effected my decisions(and in a sense still do). that led me to addiction as well. i understand his plight, and no matter what society throws at you, you have to be ready to make your own decisions. its easy to blame hollywood and the music industry but i truly IMO believe it goes beyond that.

kassia

deedee they didn't have a toxicology report but it was said there was no illegal drugs in the home just prescription. as carola said even if he was clean the combo of legal prescriptions could also fail the body. he had similar symptoms that brittany murphey had(well reported)shortly before passing.

in watching the two coreys IMO there were issues running deeper then just drugs. i think he just had a hard life emotionally and early fame didn't help the matters. its just a shame that he didn't have a chance to rebound and make a comeback. he wasn't that much older then i was so to me he was still young enough. i mean if robert downey jr. can turn it around why not a corey haim.

kassia

I know what you are saying Kassia, but drugs are drugs. People still have to be careful about what they put in their bodies even if they do have a doctor's signature. Isn't it a sad state that things like perscription drugs that are supposed to heal us (and cost us an arm and a leg!) so often kill us. I usually don't care when celebs pass, I people die every day...but Murphy, Haim and Ritter actually got to me a little. I loved the 'Lost Boys'! Of course I had a thing for Patrick and Sutherland, not Haim or Feldmen. :p

I don't know what he had in his system, but I just couldn't find any sympathy for Michael Jackson. At some point you have to say 'Hey! Wait a minute. This is way too much.' We now have people taking drugs, to counter the effects of drugs they are taking for something else and it just goes on!

We now have people taking drugs, to counter the effects of drugs they are taking for something else and it just goes on!

I totally agree. Today's society is definitely over-medicated. I think we are so wrapped up in quick-fixes, not to mention a lot of us put WAY too much confidence in our doctors, that it's killing us. Just the other day, my mom's doctor saw her for 5 min and immediately wrote her an RX for something without disclosing the side effects. Without filling it, we researched the drug and the side effects were worse than the problem it was supposed to treat! With rest, vitamins, and a week of taking it easy, my mom recovered sans the prescription drug she "needed."

Back to the drugs in music topic; my bf's coworker is in a rock band and he denounces all drug/alcohol use. Even though he is surrounded by it, he refuses to give into it. One day everyone was ragging on him, saying stuff like "You're in a band, that's the culture" and I got so mad! That is a lame excuse and you have to be a really strong person to stick to your convictions even though everyone around you is giving you hell for it. That is such an appealing character trait IMO.

I totally agree. Today's society is definitely over-medicated. I think we are so wrapped up in quick-fixes, not to mention a lot of us put WAY too much confidence in our doctors, that it's killing us. Just the other day, my mom's doctor saw her for 5 min and immediately wrote her an RX for something without disclosing the side effects. Without filling it, we researched the drug and the side effects were worse than the problem it was supposed to treat! With rest, vitamins, and a week of taking it easy, my mom recovered sans the prescription drug she "needed."

Thank goodness your mom was smart enough to check out the drug before using it. We put way too much trust in doctors these days. Yes, they help us when we are ill (usually) but they are human and humans aren't pefect, and quite a few are amoral.

I also agree about the over-medication of this country. Heck, every other commercial is drug-based. And I just LOVE the side effects!!! :rolleyes:

oh i agree. oh i totally agree. dh finds those commercials more comical(it is but at the same time very very sad) then comedy central. i don't really take anything unless i am really sick.

kassia

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.