Core Max dilemma!

Hi Cathe!
Every time I do core max segment 2, I just can't do the long lever ball exchange to save my life. I can't keep my back from arching off the ground. I can do the rest of the routine no problem, and my abs are in good condition. I'm not sure if it's because I'm taller (5'7") and have relatively long legs (I know...you're all crying for me;-) )or what. It just seems physically impossible for me to do without inflicting horrible injury upon myself! What can I do to modify this exercise or substitute in order to get the full benefit of the workout? Thanks in advance!!!
Josie
PS: I'm SOOOOOOO excited for the roadtrip!!!!!!:D :D :D

Not Cathe - but I'm right there with you Josie! I'm 5'8" and this move is next to impossible for me. I have been working my way up to it by slightly bending the knees on the way down and up. Still gives me a workout, but I don't feel like I am going to strain my lower back this way. I plan to slowly work up to the straight legs again, but I'm taking my time.

What about that "levetation" move in #!??x( Yeah, right, I have tried in vain to raise up off the floor!!)

tneah, . . no kidding. that levitation move, . . I just laughed. maybe when I was 9 I could do something like that but now,. . .there is comfort in seeing the other gals on her team struggling with that one.:)

Not Cathe of course... but could you try putting some sort of cushion under the arch of your back, maybe like a rolled up towel? If you try it, try it carefully, since I don't know for sure if it would work.

The levitation holds are ok for me...it's just those darn long lever ball exchanges. It makes me feel like my back is going to break in half!!!
Josie

Hi Josie with the long legs ;-)!

Funny, I just did the modified version of this in class. Modify by doing the move with your knees bent. I'll talk you through it......

Set Up: Lying on your back with your knees bent and the ball in your hands held above your chest.

Execution: Now draw your bent knees into your chest (but open your knees and place the ball between them so that the inside of both knees and shins have a good grip on the ball).

Simultaneously stretch your arms over your head while lowering the ball (clutched with bent knees) to the floor.

Draw your arms and knees back together and transfer the ball to your hands.

Simultaneously reach your arms (with ball held in them) over your head while your legs go down in the same bent position (only to a point where your lower back does not arch up off the floor (a natural curve is ok, an exaggerated curve is not).

That completes a full pass or exchange.

Hope this helps!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.