contractors break stained glass lampshade

benvonwojo

Cathlete
Hi,
I was just hoping for your unbiased opinion about a contractor. In October we hired a contractor to redecorate a room in our house. The room is very tiny so they stored all of their stuff (ladders, buckets, etc) in the living room under a stained glass lamp pendant. Since my husband and I both work we allowed them to do the work while we were away for the day. Sometime during this time the living room lampshade was cracked badly. The impact must have been quite hard to lodge paper and wood splinters from a ladder underneath the copper foil around each piece of damaged stained glass. Unfortunatley, the glass and shade remained hanging except for a few pieces of debris that my husband picked up but didnt think to look up to check that the shade was undamaged. Ok now, fast forward to Thanksgiving, we have the light on and many guests are over at the house. One guest looks up in admiration of the fixture and notices the cracks in the glass. I immediatley called and left a message for the contractor who is supposed to start more work for us this week in another room. I tell him the damage and that my mom is in the stained glass business, and knows someone who can fix it and can do for me cheaply. He says I am going to call my guys and ask them if they broke the shade or remember doing so. He calls me back a few hours later saying all the guys say they didnt break it, and then procedes to accuse me of lying. I of course immediately cancel all work TO BE DONE by this company in the near future and I will probably eat the cost of the repair. Would you have done the same or not and why? I fell really bad that it turned out this way since the repair is only $150. It seems rather an odd reaction to have, considering that the job that they are about to start is for 10 grand. Not to mention all the people in the building who have expressed interest in hiring them after seeing the room they have already completed.

I'm sorry you're going through this and that your lampshade is broken. I would have done the same thing in cancelling the future work from this contractor. I also wouldn't have let them store their stuff near such a delicate thing, but that's beside the point. They should have been more careful. We had a Tiffany-style lampshade hanging in the dining room of a house once that I WATCHED a contractor bump into and break. He stood there and denied it, saying it must have been broken before, and now he might need medical attention for his head which wasn't even cut!! In fact, my husband and I are both RN's, we both looked at his head right then and there, and there wasn't a mark on it. I was floored. Needless to say he never set foot in my house again and I never heard about his BS "medical treatment." People can be alarmingly dishonest and no one wants to take responsibility for their own actions. I hope this works out for you.

Carol
:)

I agree with everything you said. I shouldnt have let him put his stuff there, and I should have checked everything before he left. I have had numerous contractors work in our house, but they have always fessed up to breakage, especially when its is something this small. The amount of money he has lost in future pales in comparison to the amount of respect his company has just lost from us and our building.
Suzanne

I would've fired the contractor too, not because he broke the shade, but because of his behavior afterward.

Michele

Hey, Chicago gal!!! :7 :7 :7

I would have done the same thing for the same reasons as listed by Carol. Even though you have to pay for something someone else broke, they are really the ones who have to eat it because the lost tons of business. It is totally their loss and you did the right thing.

Missy:D

Wow, whether or not he did it, he should have eaten the $150.00 for the sake of his reputation alone!!! He just lost your $10K job and the others in your building for less than an hour or two's worth of his work! What is it that they say....penny wise and dollar foolish!!

Thanks for all the responses. I was feeling good about canceling the job but then I started to second guess my actions. Thank you all for confirming what I knew was the appropriate action to take.
Suzanne

I would have fired them too, as a matter of principle. Hmmmm, why weren't they insured and graciously offered to have the lampshade repaired???:(

Robin

I definitely would've done the same thing.

Just a note of caution--I work with contractors quite a bit in my job & I've learned the hard way that you MUST REMOVE ALL THINGS OF VALUE from within a 30 mile radius of where their work will occur.

OK maybe not a 30 mile radius, but just keep your good stuff far away from construction dudes.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.