Constant strenuous exercise and inflammation

TG007

Cathlete
Hi Cathe and everyone!

Someone said that (my and) Cathe's constant strenuous exercise may have contributed to the inflammation problem. Meaning it is part of the causes of inflammation (and my RA).

I know you are not a doctor but may be you can give an insight to this.

Thank you!

Last edited:
http://chriskresser.com/why-you-may-need-to-exercise-less/
I've referred to the syndrome in some of my post. I' ve read and attended lecture regarding this issues. I found this with a google search and the article explains this in simple terms. I've only been taught regarding the condition within women in the peri/menopause and other hormonal issues (thyroid) I have not read any specific information regarding inflammatory/autoimmune diseases like RA.

Hi TG007,

While high intensity workouts have sometimes been linked as a contributing factor to inflammation it doesn't always have to be the case. I would have this confirmed with your doctor. Continuous sessions of super high intensity exercise without enough recovery in between can sometimes cause problems for someone dealing with inflammation, but again, this does not always have to be the case. If you're uncertain, I advise that it is best to mix higher intensity workouts with some that are less intense. You may also want to consider adding some anti-inflammatory foods to your diet. Start here and see how it goes. Good luck!

Hi there! I have to say that as far as my body goes I have problems with inflammation! I swell some if I do nothing but hard workouts and it seems my weight goes up and pants are tighter. But I balance it out with a day in between with a lighter workout like maybe an older step workout like step heat in there and a rest day in there some days I only have one rest day and sometimes I have two. But I do notice if I do hard workouts consistently I do have inflammation.
Like Cathe says I just Try to watch my food intake, salty things I can't have and even things u don't think are salty there is sodium in it and I have to read labels. And I add in cucumbers, broussel sprouts and different anti inflammation foods.
But I have to drink a lot of water and do some cardio that is not a HIIT in there but a steady state and longer workout one day then a shorter one the next then back to the HIIT here and there to balance it out. Again I am learning it is all about balance for me. That is so hard for me to learn because I am always one or the other! It as if I just can't get in the middle it has to be all or nothing for me. So learning this is hard for me!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have hormonal issues and am trying to heal from that. In the past I would overtrain, I think, and make the problems worse. I have been experimenting with really feeling how my body feels in the morning when I get up and seeing what I feel up for. This is interesting. I do have enough experience with workout videos and enough experience with how things feel to be able to tell what feels like it would be good. Of course that means mostly no rotations, but I'm OK with that as I rarely make it through one anyway due to exercise ADD. What I do varies a lot (though I am still doing a fair amount of Cathe, especially dancey step which I love and HIIT/Tabata mostly on my rebounder though). But I do vary intensity more than I used to as well as the length of workout and number of rest days/week (always one, sometimes 2) . Also during my late luteal phase and menstrual phase I try to take it easy a bit more, but I am hormonally sensitive, and just sharing my experience. I am interested to see if I can increase my physical fitness level by really listening to what my body needs rather than by pounding my body unnecessarily, challenging myself when I can and backing off when it feels right.

This is why also I can not wait for Cathes new series the intermediate intensity will give me more options to take the intensity down some on some days for verity and still allow me to train with my fav trainer! Cathe! I hate doing to many other people. Like the next fav is KCM. She is great and intermediate I think we'll some of her workouts can be more advanced if u really push like dip lower lift heavier and so on. But I love love working out with Cathe she is just funner then anyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This may sound weird but i just learned (from a doctor) that your digestive system could have a lot do with inflammation.
And i just read the article right above my post Cathe mentions it also. It worth learning about it.
Hope it helps:)

A Fit Granny [emoji123]

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.