Confused

sarahbl

Cathlete
Hopefully some of you very smart people can help me. I have been trying an experiment for the past 6-9 months. I would do HIIT for 2-3 days a week and 4 days of weight training and would experience increased belly fat. The I would lower the intensity to moderate for 2-3 days a week and still do the 4 day weight training and then the belly fat would get smaller. Now I always thought or read that you need to do high intensity cardio to help loose fat, but i seem to do better at a lower intensity. The lenght of the workouts were al the same and the eating was the same. Go figure!! Thanks one and all!!!

this seems consistent with my vo2max test results from a while back that I posted here:
http://www.thecathenation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=255720&highlight=vo2max

from what I understand these tests can at best approximate the calorie and fat calorie consumption during exercise though (so they don't have anything to say about epoc--excess post-exercise oxygen consumption).

your experience is suggests that even after accounting for epoc differences, low intensity might burn more fat calories. that's good know, thanks for sharing.

I am not an expert in this matter by a long shot, but just wanted to toss this out there as another [probably remote] possibility. This could be because your body is releasing more cortisol (the stress hormone) when you do higher impact workouts. Obviously, higher impact workouts stress the body more so the release of more hormone in and of itself wouldn't be that unusual. Cortisol is known for increasing belly fat. Increased belly fat caused by cortisol release happens (in some cases) to people who are over-training.

I'm not sure if this could be the case (like I said, I'm no expert) for somebody like you who doesn't appear to be over-training. More importantly, if this is happening because of excess hormone release, I don't know what that means about your hormones. But, bottom-line, it could be a hormonal response to higher stress workouts.

Last edited:
You all are so smart. I am 47 and this has seemed to happen recently. Yes. the hormones are doing their very unwanted thing. Luckily, I have a great dr. who is really helping keep all that in check. With that said the cortisol may be the answer for me. I guess I will keep with the moderate stuff. Thank you all so very much!!!!!!

Well, I learned about this in my advanced Anatomy and Physiology class last semester. My prof not only has a phd in biology, but is a former exercise physiologist. He explained that intense cardio burns the carbs in your body, while moderate cardio burns the fat stores in your body. Also...intense cardio will release more lactic acid. He said that circuit training is really the best way to burn fat. He suggested a weekly routine which involved CT/moderate weights 3X/week, HIIT 1X/week, Heavy weights 1X/week, yoga/pilates/moderate cardio 1X/week and 3mph walking every day for at least 30 minutes. Of course, you also need to eat at a slight calorie deficit according to your weight, not just an arbitrary low calorie number to hit.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.