Comparison of all the P90X's

cher54

Cathlete
I am considering purchasing one of the P90's and would like some feedback from my fellow Cathletes. I am very fit and my goal is to build/maintain muscle. I have Body Beast but it doesn't resonate with me. I have done STS several times over and am looking for a bit of a change. TIA!:D BTW, just purchased T25 and I think they will work as a perfect add-on to a lifting session:) I am visiting my son and he has the set so I have done a few and I really like them. Shaun T is great in them as well!

I bought P90X and tried it for about a month, and then I found STS (back in 2008 maybe??). I loved STS compared to P90X because it was more weights. P90X has a lot of yoga/stability/synergistic workouts....which is a great change for your rotation, but it wasn't my cup of tea. I LOVE ChaLEAN Extreme though. It's another Beachbody workout, and it's about 30-45 minutes of heavy lifting. It's full body though just so you know. I bought it in 2010 for my house, and I just bought a new copy for when I get married and move out because my mom also LOVES it. It's an oldie but a goodie - have you heard of it?

Also, did you try Beast's meal plan? I have heard all kinds of stuff about it, but that the last phase was the best nutrition wise has been a lot of people's opinions. Just curious!

I think the original P90X would be the way to go as far as the strength workouts. However, I think the leg work is a bit weak and the other non-strength workouts in the set aren't that great in my opinion.

I have done a strength rotation before using the Gym Styles, but I did the Timesaver premixes. Because they are a bit shorter (some omit the band work and some do 2 sets instead of 3 for some exercises), I was able to lift alot heavier. Just thought I'd throw that idea out there.

I also like ZCUT Strength, though they are very short and do have a cardio affect, but I feel are tough little supplemental workouts.

I bought P90X and tried it for about a month, and then I found STS (back in 2008 maybe??). I loved STS compared to P90X because it was more weights. P90X has a lot of yoga/stability/synergistic workouts....which is a great change for your rotation, but it wasn't my cup of tea. I LOVE ChaLEAN Extreme though. It's another Beachbody workout, and it's about 30-45 minutes of heavy lifting. It's full body though just so you know. I bought it in 2010 for my house, and I just bought a new copy for when I get married and move out because my mom also LOVES it. It's an oldie but a goodie - have you heard of it?

Also, did you try Beast's meal plan? I have heard all kinds of stuff about it, but that the last phase was the best nutrition wise has been a lot of people's opinions. Just curious!

I have completed the doubles rotation of P90X twice and loved it, precisely due to the fact that it has those yoga and synergistic workouts. I have practiced yoga since the 90s and I think Yoga X is one of the best yoga workouts I have ever done and my second favorite of the original P90X set is Core Synergistics. I have to agree that the weight workouts for the lower body are not as good as other systems and definitely not as good as Cathe's lower body workouts. I also own two other P90X sets that I don't use much (I think they are P90X+ and P90X advanced? I don't remember right now). I never bought P90X2 because I thought they used a lot of equipment (besides the weights) that I didn't own or like and with P90X3 I just did not want to spend that much money for 30 minute workouts when there are a lot of systems out there to choose that are equally as good or better and are not that expensive.

On the other hand, I have to agree about Chalean Extreme. There is no system that has given me the results that set has given me. I have completed P90X, STS and Xtrain rotations several times and haven gotten decent results and loved the results of all for different reasons, but every time I add those Chalean Extreme weight workouts to any rotation, people literally stop me to ask about my arms or my legs. I am currently doing a rotation where I added the weight workouts of Chalean Extreme 3 times a week and I'm getting my cardio from other trainers to mix things up. I'm basically doing the weight workouts for three months (as suggested, 1 month of Burn, 1 month of Push, and 1 month of Lean). I'm about to start my third week of Push and I really like the results. Of course with Chalean Extreme, the best phase is Lean so I can't wait to see when I get there. This is my third time doing Chalean Extreme (first time I did it as suggested with all the cardio and ab workouts of the set, second time I added more cardio, this time I mostly do the weight workouts and add some of the cardios of the set, but I'm not doing it as suggested and I'm still getting amazing results) and combining them with a really clean diet (I also use myfitnesspal app to track my calories), I know I will be more than ready for tank top season.

I think the original P90X would be the way to go as far as the strength workouts. However, I think the leg work is a bit weak and the other non-strength workouts in the set aren't that great in my opinion.

My thoughts exactly! I don't feel like Tony's ever been able to replicate the "magic" of the original P90X in his later series (just my opinion). Even though I like P90X the best of all the series, the leg workout doesn't do it for me and the cardio is just okay. The upper body workouts and the yoga (if you can manage to get through 90 mins) are the best parts of the program. I use those workouts and then supplement with Cathe DVDs for the legs and cardio.

I also agree with with Stacy said about Gym Styles. I finished the January 2014 rotation today, which centers around Gym Styles, and I definitely made some serious progress in my upper body strength with these workouts.

On the other hand, I have to agree about Chalean Extreme. There is no system that has given me the results that set has given me. I have completed P90X, STS and Xtrain rotations several times and haven gotten decent results and loved the results of all for different reasons, but every time I add those Chalean Extreme weight workouts to any rotation, people literally stop me to ask about my arms or my legs. I am currently doing a rotation where I added the weight workouts of Chalean Extreme 3 times a week and I'm getting my cardio from other trainers to mix things up. I'm basically doing the weight workouts for three months (as suggested, 1 month of Burn, 1 month of Push, and 1 month of Lean). I'm about to start my third week of Push and I really like the results. Of course with Chalean Extreme, the best phase is Lean so I can't wait to see when I get there. This is my third time doing Chalean Extreme (first time I did it as suggested with all the cardio and ab workouts of the set, second time I added more cardio, this time I mostly do the weight workouts and add some of the cardios of the set, but I'm not doing it as suggested and I'm still getting amazing results) and combining them with a really clean diet (I also use myfitnesspal app to track my calories), I know I will be more than ready for tank top season.

I had to comment on this because I feel the same way! I've done P90X twice, STS twice, Xtrain once (tho I revisit the workouts all the time) and ChaLean Exteme 3 times (among other programs like Insanity, PeakFit Challenge and more--I am a program whore) and I got the best results ever from ChaLean Extreme--better than from any of the other programs I've done. Plus I just love that program. I have not done it in years tho--not since I discovered Cathe. But reading your post makes me want to go back and revisit it.

I did Chalean Extreme so long ago I can't remember what kind of results I got. The great comments here have given me the incentive to do it again. Thanks ladies!

Doesn't Chalean's fake over-the-top- exhuberance annoy you? Her voice alone is enough to leave me cold.

I really like Chalean Extreme and Turbofire. CE's the only rotation I've ever been able to stick with for a full 90 days. Haven't done CE again since I found Cathe in 2011 but b/c of you guys I'm thinking about doing it again with a mix of my Total gym and TF. I'm ready for some new Cathe workouts so this will change things up a bit. I really like how CE incorporates upper and lower body movements in most of the workouts, I tend to get better fat loss results this way, but the workouts can be very low back fatiguing I find, so be careful. I have all the "extra DVDs" that we're available in the series too. I own P90x and have done a partial rotation of them and I think they're great workouts too but they have a dread factor for me.

Doesn't Chalean's fake over-the-top- exhuberance annoy you? Her voice alone is enough to leave me cold.

I completed this series and was so glad when it was over. She drove me nuts with her voice and her shouting at you. Plus I found many of the exercises awkward. I did this after STS and I have to say STS was a hands down favorite while I actually gave away CLX immediately.

I love Turbo Fire and Turbo Jam:D I need to look into Chalean Extreme:D I always get great results with her TF and TJ.

Now I'm curious about CE! I'm currently doing a 90-day XTrain rotation. I just got STS so that was going to be my next program to tackle. For those who have done both STS and CE, which would you recommend doing first?

:eek: lol! I don't take her too seriously, when I exercise I am in my own world, and I have to be really focused on my form because with this program you have to lift heavy and move slow. I thought Tony Horton was annoying at first too, but I learned to accept him as one of those crazy relatives you have to love anyway. Beachbody trainers tend to have that same style, hyper or super happy, and they do 3 reps and then walk around and talk too much instead of working out with us the entire time. As long as I don't find the workouts boring and as long as I get results I don't care about their personalities, especially when I'm sweating and working hard in my own zone.

I really like Chalean Extreme and Turbofire. CE's the only rotation I've ever been able to stick with for a full 90 days. Haven't done CE again since I found Cathe in 2011 but b/c of you guys I'm thinking about doing it again with a mix of my Total gym and TF. I'm ready for some new Cathe workouts so this will change things up a bit. I really like how CE incorporates upper and lower body movements in most of the workouts, I tend to get better fat loss results this way, but the workouts can be very low back fatiguing I find, so be careful. I have all the "extra DVDs" that we're available in the series too. I own P90x and have done a partial rotation of them and I think they're great workouts too but they have a dread factor for me.

You don't have to do CE as suggested if you don't want. The key workouts of CE, in my opinion, are Burn, Push, and Lean. If you do Burn 1-3 for a month, then Push 1-3 for a month, and Lean 1-3 for a month, you can add any cardio workouts you want in between, they can be from CE or from anybody. You can even do short cardios (20-30 mins) the same day you do it to burn extra calories. Just remember to have a day between the CE weight workouts and not do them on consecutive days. Also, neither Burn, Push, nor Lean has a direct emphasis on the ab/core area so you would need to add a couple of short ab workouts either from CE or from other sources. I add ab/core (6-12 mins long) those days I don't do CE weight workouts (so that is 2-3 times per week). Of course, remember watch your diet really closely. That is the key to success.

Now I'm curious about CE! I'm currently doing a 90-day XTrain rotation. I just got STS so that was going to be my next program to tackle. For those who have done both STS and CE, which would you recommend doing first?

What is your goal? Are you trying to lose, gain, or maintain your weight? I find STS in my case builds a lot of muscle and CE gives me more definition and makes me more leaner. Right now I do not need to build any more muscle or strength. I do push-ups on my toes easily, a couple of pull ups, and lift as heavy or heavier than Cathe on STS. Thank you to Cathe for that! Since I don't need more muscle I'm sticking to CE only. Although I use Plyo Legs often (not with this current rotation, but with others).

It depends on how much time do you have as well. STS workouts are completely different than CE. They are longer and more comprehensive, every workout focus on a different body part, while CE weight workouts are all total body. When I saw your post I immediately thought CE first, STS second, but then remembered my own experience and I did it in the opposite order. So it basically comes down to your fitness goals and expectations.

My goal is to maintain my weight and gain more muscle and strength. Sounds like I should skip CE for now and do STS first.

My goal is to maintain my weight and gain more muscle and strength. Sounds like I should skip CE for now and do STS first.

Yes, I think so too. STS is tough on your body especially if you lift as heavy as you can while maintaining your form. If you don't need to lose any weight, do not add extra cardio those days you do STS and the days in between try to keep your cardio sessions small and not very intense. I remember I got very hungry with STS and I was mistakenly adding too much cardio with my rotation. STS is intense enough. I also found that having a day for a flexibility or stretching workout helped me recover quickly. And don't forget to watch your diet. I can't say that enough. Good luck. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.