Cold Cereal ideas

>I've been reading that high fructose corn syrup actually
>shuts off the receptor that tells you that you are full. I
>would have to agree. I know there are some foods that I could
>eat until I bust.
>I am paying more attention to the labels. That stuff is bad
>news for me!
>

I agree, I had to give up my Fiber1 bars that I loved so much, I could eat 3 in a row no problem. I feel more able to control my appetite when I cut out that nasty stuff.

I love cold cereal, but here's what I do. I get a big Tupperware container, and I mix about five different kinds in there (right now I have Bran Flakes, All Bran, Multigrain Cheerios, Oatmeal Squares and a bit of almond/hazelnut granola). It's mostly the healthiest stuff, but I throw in a bit of the others for punch. Then I mix 'em all together, and I scoop it out using a measuring cup, slice some banana on top, put on my soy milk and YUM!:9

Mom's Best Naturals Sweetened Wheat-fuls are yummy! Like frosted mini-wheats, but with no artificial preservatives, no artificial colors or flavors, no hydrogenated or palm oil, no high fructose corn syrup!

This is my snack with Silk Light Soy Vanilla Milk. Mmmmm...

But I must admit, it might be 99 degress here in Texas today, but I ate Nature's Path Hot Oatmeal Flax Plus with banana, walnut halves, and soy milk this morning. :)

I love cold cereal! Right now, my favorite is Frosted Mini-Spooners (malt-o-meal brand) as it does not have high fructose corn syrup in it.

Okay, well here's a cold oatmeal recipe.

The night before take 1/2 C of oatmeal and enough liquid to cover the top of the oats. Use skim milk, water or OJ and then refrigerate overnight. Use can use half of one liquid and half of another liquid to reduce calories if needed.

The next morning the oats will have soaked up the liquid and become soft.

Add flavored yogurt and mix. You can add fresh fruits, nuts, raisins or whatever. It's really good.

I've always used water for the soaking and it taste fine.

Namita

I'm not much into cold cereal, but there are a few types I like when the mood strikes.

Nature's Path "Mesa Sunrise" (gluten free, organic, made with corn, flax, buckwheat, quinoa and amaranth).

Some brand I forget of Meusli (oats and dried fruit).

Mom's Best "Toasty O's" (a Cherrios clone).

Go Raw "Live Granola Bar" broken up (they offer a non-bar-form granola, but it's higher in sugars, so I use the bar). http://store.nexternal.com/shared/S...&Target=products.asp&Submit1.x=4&Submit1.y=10

That's it as far as cold cereals I will eat. Otherwise, I go with a smoothie, some fresh fruit, or a cooked grain.

>I haven't tried this yet, but plan to as soon as I can give
>up my hot oatmeal:) Sounds delicious! I want to try the
>chocolate protein, with chocolate soy.
>
>http://www.t-nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1164945

I eat something like this all the time, but less work:
1 scoop protein powder (i always use chocolate), 1/2c skim milk, and 1/3c uncooked old fashioned oats. I just mix it together in my bowl with a spoon, and then eat it right away - no waiting for it to soak or anything. I like the "raw" oats - they are kinda chewy and surprisingly yummy.

I've also made the above with 1T of ground almonds, too. Yummy.

I started eating this when I was looking for a subsitute for the nasty protmeal recommended by so many training programs. There's something about heating protein powder that makes it gummy and really really gross. When you eat it cold, it's strangely delicious. ;)

Elaine, I've done the cold oatmeal as well and I was surprised at how much I liked it. I mixed 1/2c. of oatmeal with 1/2c. of milk, and added cinnamon (a ton-I love cinnamon) and a small handful of raisins. I let it sit overnight and then have it for breakfast. Hmmm...I haven't had that in so long, I might have to make it tonight!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.