Coconut Oil

This cookbook I just bought uses coconut oil throughout all the recipes that need oil. It's a primal/paleo cookbook and some of the best recipes I have ever made. The coconut oil adds an amazing taste to the butternut squash souffle (but one note, I personally prefer this recipe without the garlic).

Amazon.com: Well Fed: Paleo Recipes for People Who Love to Eat (9780615572260): Melissa Joulwan, David Humphreys, Kathleen Shannon: Books

I love the taste it adds to smoothies, but I can't justify the extra calories so I don't do that often.

Those homemade chocolate bars sound awesome, definitely going to try those out.

Thanks for posting the Paleo recipe book Dela.:) I bought it!:D

I occasionally spread it on an almond cracker for a quick snack...a little bit goes a long way, and it's delish! :)

Also, I have land hermit crabs, and coconut is their diet staple-a dab of coconut oil in their food dish and they knock each other over to get at it...

Except I just replaced coconut oil in some healthy cookies that I make for my DH in replace of butter and they melted into one big sheet of cookie, so in some instances organic butter or ghee is best! But yes, love a good fried egg in coconut oil!

Butter has a higher fat content, coconut oil has a higher water content. Coconut oil is liquid at a lower temperature than butter and it doesn't have any dairy solids. So, yes it will run all over the place lol!

I realize this thread is about coconut oil, but I thought these coconut wraps might interest some of you. The ingredients are coconut meat, coconut water and Himalayan salt (and curry in the curry flavored one). They are a bit pricey, but very good. I have only tried the original ones (without curry). They have a chewy texture and a mild coconut flavor. You can use them to wrap veggies, eggs, etc.---anything you would normally put into a tortilla wrap or on bread. They are advertised as gluten free, raw, and alkaline and do not need to be refrigerated or frozen.

I purchased them at Raw Food, Organic Food and Superfood | Sunfood.com

The website shown on the package is Improv'eat ® Beyond Organic. Beyond Compare.

I occasionally spread it on an almond cracker for a quick snack...a little bit goes a long way, and it's delish! :)

Also, I have land hermit crabs, and coconut is their diet staple-a dab of coconut oil in their food dish and they knock each other over to get at it...

This made smile. I have a mental image in my head of two little crabs snapping and pushing to get to the yummy coconut oil. You should tape that and put that on You Tube. I'll bet it's funny to watch. :)

I use coconut oil in things like sauteed spinach. I heat up a Tbs of coconut oil and cook some fresh, minced ginger and crushed red pepper flakes for a minute in that. Then I add a lb of baby spinach and let if wilt a bit. I serve it with cripsy onions, also cooked in a Tbs of coconut oil. It is good with lentils and a dab of Greek yogurt for some creaminess.

I also use in place of melted butter on naan, it really goes well with the creamier curries, like korma.

ps- treat alert:

If you warm it just enough to make it soft enough for stirring and then ya throw in some cocoa powder a bit of sweetner and some goodies like shredded coconut or almonds or mint... whatever- throw in the refrigerator and BAM- chocolate bar ;)

This is so incredibly dangerous. I plan on trying it out tonight :eek:

I agree with you NRG Woman, this is dangerous stuff. I had some last night and made a 2nd batch so I could have some as my preworkout snack this am.

Another dangerous way I like to use coconut milk is mixed in with a bowl of frozen fruit. Great for a hot summer day treat!

AYLE09, NRG and Pam--Can you give us approximate proportions for putting this together? And how much do you make at one time?

I have not measured for either snack, but guessing what I did with AYLE09's idea: 3 tbsp of coconut milk, 1/2 tsp cocoa powder, 1/16 tsp stevia, a handful of dried coconut, 1/2 handful of slivered almonds.

Coconut frozen fruit: a handful of frozen fruit (whatever I have in the freezer) and 3 tbsp of coconut milk. Immediately stir together and the coconut milk freezes on the fruit.

Has anyone tried frementing coconut milk? Years ago I did a lot of this, than it stopped working. I used yogurt as a starter and just let set for 24 hours in a warm place in the house. Than it stopped working. I heard that the coconut milk (Thai Kitchen) I get in this area was being processed differently.

Hey guys, Question: I love coconut oil, and I scramble my eggs in it and I eat it throughout the day... (Not usually exceeding 2 Tbsp). However, on myfitnesspal, I've been exceeding my fat allotment for the days while doing this, but I have been staying within my calorie allotment. What do you guys think? Will it work against me?

Stephanie0523 said:
Hey guys, Question: I love coconut oil, and I scramble my eggs in it and I eat it throughout the day... (Not usually exceeding 2 Tbsp). However, on myfitnesspal, I've been exceeding my fat allotment for the days while doing this, but I have been staying within my calorie allotment. What do you guys think? Will it work against me?

2 tbsp according to my coconut oil is 28grams of fat. That's alot in one sitting. I usually use one tsp or at the very most one tbsp. but yes too much of any thing, even a good thing can work against you. My eggs cook fine in 1tsp so maybe try that.

2 tbsp according to my coconut oil is 28grams of fat. That's alot in one sitting. I usually use one tsp or at the very most one tbsp. but yes too much of any thing, even a good thing can work against you. My eggs cook fine in 1tsp so maybe try that.

Oh, I think what I wrote was misleading. I don't eat 2Tbsp in one sitting/at a time. Noooo... I use a teaspoon here and there during the day... All equaling up to about 2 tbsp total for the day. Do you think that's too much? I thought the recommended "dosage" was 3 tbsp for optimal effects.

Its super good for your figure, but try a little bit at first, it will turn on your inner fire and you may be to hot to sleep at night. Its best at breakfast after your Cathe workout.

Ah, that's the culprit! I've had coconut oil on my veggies for dinner this week and was wondering why I was roasting in my blankets--I'm usually freezing.

This thread is inspiring. I just mixed 1T coconut oil with 1t cocoa and about 1/2 packet stevia and spread a little on the end of a fresh strawberry. Fabulous!

I've been looking for a substitute for my dark chocolate bars (Ghiradelli 72%). Dark chocolate is the treat I allow myself, but it's expensive.

I made the mistake of putting my coconut oil in the refridge - its rock hard - I don't know what I was thinking!!! Since its been refridgerated would it be ok to now store it in my panty or would that ruin or harm the oil?

Coconut oil does not need to be refrigerated.

For all that add coconut oil: Don't forget the extra calories and saturated fat, otherwise you will end up with some extra pounds you do not know where they came from.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.