Coconut Oil

momto4

Cathlete
How do you incorportate coconut oil into your diet. Is it best to cook with it, or use it on veggies after they've been cooke, ect? I'm really at a loss on this topic.

Hi there!

I use coconut oil for all of my cooking. Anytime I need to put any kind of oil in a pan, I use coconut oil - cooking meat, veggies, etc. I also use it in my baking recipes in place of whatever oil/butter is called for. My favorite combination so far is sweet potatoes sliced super thin sauted in coconut oil and then lightly salted when done. Yummo!! Sometimes, I put coconut oil in my hot tea as well. Oh and it is also a great eye makeup remover and moisturizer!! ;)

Hope that helps!

Natalie

Like Natalie, I also use it for cooking - I only use coconut oil or extra virigin olive oil. Gives a really nice flavor to the food and a great source of healthy fats!

I use it in place of other vegetable oils when cooking. I just made a batch of blackberry/lemon muffins with coconut oil instead of butter/vegetable oil. Its really tasty in pancakes. Its great instead of butter on toast (add a little salt, its salt free.) I cook stir frys in it. I made one last night with green peas and shitake mushrooms. It was very tasty. I like the Spectrum brand, refined has the least amount of flavor. I use the unrefined in baking. Coconut oil is a wonderful addition to home made brownies. It replaces the oil or butter used and improves the nutritional profile. I also add some psyllium powder (1/2 c.) and that adds fiber but also makes the brownies very moist. Add extra fluid if you do that.

Popcorn, made in my airpopper, is a frequent evening snack for me. For a topping I mix half and half coconut oil and butter (the butter I have already mixed half n' half with canela oil), a little granulated garlic and salt. Hmmm...

I use coconut oil instead of canola oil when I make popcorn. It makes delicious, crispy popcorn.

Like others, I've used it in place of butter and oil. It lends a really nice flavor to most foods and you'll find what you like and don't like it for pretty quickly. It does make great pancakes and popcorn. Can only imagine how good those brownies must be!

I also use 1/4 c of coconut milk in my smoothies - this is equivalent to what I have read is a recommended dose of coconut product in a day. Makes YUMMY smoothies!

Coating ur pans for eggs and baking sheets when baking is another great use for coconut oil. I love to make my omelets in a cast iron skillet for added iron absorption and I coat all my cast iron with coconut oil. Makes them non stick and coconut oil is so good for the colon too; so, like others I use in place of all other oils. If its not organic butter or coconut oil, I don't use it!

I also use it in cooking and as an overall moisturizer. Vegetables are delicious sauteed in cocoanut oil. I cook a lot of Indian food and it is perfect for this. Olive Oil or cocoanut oil and cocoanut has been winning out lately. There is also a cocoanut butter substitute that is absolutely delicious for cooking eggs or spreading on toast.

Here in South East Asia coconut oils are used in curries and most other dishes that require some "body", creaminess etc. That being the case you can replace butter with coconut oil. To take it further you can also replace traditional creams with coconut milk.

Just frying an egg with coconut oil imparts a very nice flavor as it is! :)

Except I just replaced coconut oil in some healthy cookies that I make for my DH in replace of butter and they melted into one big sheet of cookie, so in some instances organic butter or ghee is best! But yes, love a good fried egg in coconut oil!

What can you use coconut butter with? I have some and am interested in what I can replace and use the coconut butter instead. Anyone know?

Hi All! The health benefits of coconut oil are unbeatable. Whether it's weight loss, boosting your immune system, improving digestion and metabolism, hair care, skin care, stress relief, maintaining cholesterol levels, relief from kidney problems, heart diseases, high blood pressure, diabetes, dental care, bone strength, disease prevention ....the list goes on!

I love the stuff :D

I love the stuff too.... although my friends make fun of me because most often i just eat it right off of a spoon.

ps- treat alert:

If you warm it just enough to make it soft enough for stirring and then ya throw in some cocoa powder a bit of sweetner and some goodies like shredded coconut or almonds or mint... whatever- throw in the refrigerator and BAM- chocolate bar ;)

I love the stuff too.... although my friends make fun of me because most often i just eat it right off of a spoon.

ps- treat alert:

If you warm it just enough to make it soft enough for stirring and then ya throw in some cocoa powder a bit of sweetner and some goodies like shredded coconut or almonds or mint... whatever- throw in the refrigerator and BAM- chocolate bar ;)

BAM - YUMMY goodness!! I am slightly addicted these days...and Trader Joes sells it for a decent price, Bonus!

Here in South East Asia coconut oils are used in curries and most other dishes that require some "body", creaminess etc. That being the case you can replace butter with coconut oil. To take it further you can also replace traditional creams with coconut milk.

Just frying an egg with coconut oil imparts a very nice flavor as it is! :)

Where in South East Asia are you from?

I am a huge fan of coconut curries. I just recently made a dish in my slow cooker with coconut cream, yellow curry, and chicken. OMG to die for!!! Threw it over some basmati rice and viola, heaven on a plate!!! :p

This cookbook I just bought uses coconut oil throughout all the recipes that need oil. It's a primal/paleo cookbook and some of the best recipes I have ever made. The coconut oil adds an amazing taste to the butternut squash souffle (but one note, I personally prefer this recipe without the garlic).

http://www.amazon.com/Well-Fed-Pale...226X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326510202&sr=8-1

I love the taste it adds to smoothies, but I can't justify the extra calories so I don't do that often.

Those homemade chocolate bars sound awesome, definitely going to try those out.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.