Coconut Oil

I add a couple of tablespoons to my Green smoothie everyday ....(spinich,kale,mango,banana,apple, coconut oil, maca) Very yummy and have managed to lose weight steadily. I also use olive and flaxseed oils for my dressings. I have popped popcorn with it....YUM! My kids use it like butter on Ezekiel brand raisin toast and to a brown rice breakfast porrage, delicious! WE are all fans here! I buy it by the gallon at Mountainroseherbs.com a gallon lasts me a year. I use it at night cream. Have yet to use it on my hair...will have to try that one! :) Great stuff!! deb

Kathryn, are you saying that it is stable at high temps? I stir fry a lot and try to use the "right" oil (stable at high heat). I didn't know that coconut oil was good for high-heat cooking.
Yep, that's right.
In fact, there are quite a few folks who recommend only using coconut oil for high-heat cooking.

Laura - I've done that too! NOT gross! :) It goes really, really nicely with almond butter...talk about a dangerous combination to be sitting on the kitchen counter. :eek:

OK - you all convinced me to pick up some coconut oil, and I always have almond butter on hand, so Gayle I tried your suggested concoction. OH MY! Yummy! Yes I can see the danger in it, but what a nice little mix for a dessert. Of course all other family members would think I'm a little off, but that's fine by me. Thanks for the suggestions and tips all.

I am from Karnataka a coastal state in India. All along the South West coast of India,cocunut trees abound. Cuisines of these states use virgin, unrefined coconut oil as the cooking medium. (They also use it to make soap, on the hair and as a pre-bath body moisturizer.) Coconut milk, ground coconut paste or fresh coconut scraping finds its way into every meal in the traditional cooking of my state. People lived long and healthy lives and heart disease, high cholestrol or hypertension were quite unknown in the days of my grandparents, for people with such a diet. Of course people led active lives - they walked a lot even if they werent involved in physical labor and even the women worked quite hard in the home.

I have seen research for and against, but I am a firm believer that coconut oil is one of the good fats like olive oil, depending on how it is processed. All refining or hydrogenated processing or extraction at high heat makes natural oils less healthy. Coconut itself when consumed in moderation has been shown by reasearch to be not harmful (on cholestrol levels or risk factors for heart disease) because of the high fibre content. With moderation in consumption of fats and an active lifestyle, coconut oil is good for you.

It's been said before but I'll say it again

It's great, just great, to pop popcorn in. My favorite.

Also nice mixed with peanut butter. Also nice for the oil to make pancakes or waffles.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.