Cluster Training Workouts for Hypertrophy

catwoman7631

Cathlete
Has anyone heard of this kind of training? Sounds interesting, and I'd love to see Cathe put her spin on it!

"Often when you hear the word “cluster” it is in a negative context, to say the least. But there are positive applications of the word, and one of those is in training. Specifically, cluster training.

Cluster training refers to the rest and training mix in a unique style of working out. It is a derivative of the old rest pause training style. Cluster training involves “clustering” a lot of reps around an exercise set by using many mini rep breaks. The cluster of reps adds up to enable you to do more reps with a heavy weight than you would be able to perform in the traditional manner of lifting.

Five Heavy Reps
One way to employ the cluster training workout is to perform a heavy lift for a rep, give your body a rest for 10-15 seconds, then repeat that rep back and forth with the short rest until you have completed 5 reps. This would be higher than what you could get with a straight non-rest set.

Compound Cluster
Cluster training can be used in many ways but the best way to go is with heavy compound movements which get several muscle groups involved together. And you can use it on smaller muscle groups as well – it even works with the barbell curl.

Cluster training is quite a bit different than standard training and will give both body and mind an entirely new level of stimulation. Cluster training will push you to the limit as you strive to get out those extra reps with the heavy weight loads required. And cluster training will shock your muscles to a high degree, helping you to more hypertrophy. Use cluster training in a cyclical fashion."

Hi Jodi,

I have heard of cluster training. I am interested and consider trying it out. Personally I would benefit from this
training method by trying to max out on shoulders, chest and Back. It would be great to have such program on dvd.

I do not know if you have read cathe's blog on this subject. Here it is:

http://cathe.com/building-strength-through-cluster-training

Great idea to bring this up Jodi, Hope other lifters chime in.

Last edited:
Hmmm, sounds interesting to me. Is it mainly for size gains or power? I've been liking focusing on power more lately! Especially back & shoulders. I'm not an advanced lifter however. Up for the challenge? Oh yeah. :)
Thanks for posting Jodi.

edited to apologize for my mind fart. The TITLE of your post reads Hypertrophy!! LOL! whooops!
Still be up for this challenge, though!
;)

Last edited:
Hmmm, sounds interesting to me. Is it mainly for size gains or power? I've been liking focusing on power more lately! Especially back & shoulders. I'm not an advanced lifter however. Up for the challenge? Oh yeah. :)
Thanks for posting Jodi.

edited to apologize for my mind fart. The TITLE of your post reads Hypertrophy!! LOL! whooops!
Still be up for this challenge, though!
;)

It is okay.
Yes, hypertrophy is for power and size gain --- muscle's size, not necessarily the point of increasing clothing size :oops:IMO.
Plyos are great to increase power and improve bone density, knees permitting;):) --- 4 legs

I think this sounds interesting! I would definitely buy this series!:D. I will have see read more on cluster training. Throw in some good yoga and abs.

I would love to pre order such series but I am no longer hopeful.
I may be wrong but i just can not see this happening.:)

Last edited:
I'd like to try this. Cathe's workout series are so well done I don't think they need to be done over again. But something new would be nice.

Just did XTrain's upper split workouts and enjoyed having the guys included in that series. Was actually thinking about this post during the workout and how it would be great to have this cluster style of workout AND see Al and some of the other guys again. Would love if Cathe considered... Thanks!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.