Clicking in hips

MissyP

Hi Cathe! I got your entire Low Impact series for Christmas yesterday and I've already started with After Burn. It's amazing! I can't wait to try them all! I have a question about some of the moves. Whenever I do the mountain climbers or cross-under kicks, there is a clicking in my hips. It doesn't necessarily hurt, it's just uncomfortable. I have always had issues with weak hip flexors. Will this improve as I become stronger or should I avoid these moves? Thank you for creating this fantastic series! You have raised the bar once again :D Have a very Happy New Year!

Missy

I get clicking sometimes as well, but only in moves where my legs are extended somewhat out to the side. During the core move where you pass a stability ball back and forth between your hands and your feet with straight legs, my hips click almost every time I lower them. It doesn't hurt, but it feels like something is snapping into position instead of rotating smoothly. I hope it's not wearing out my hip sockets!

Thanks Tootles! I've wondered the same thing :) So far I don't have any pain, so I guess it's safe to continue.

Oh, I have the same issue with the cross under kicks from Slide and Glide. I had some weird back pain after the clicking in my back (I think it was the 'joint' between the sacrum and hip bones). Is the move one I can modify by doing a smaller range of motion and work my way up or should I avoid it all together? Does anyone else have a similar issue with that "joint"? (I say it that way since its a joint that isn't really intended to have much locamotion) What did you do?

Thanks everyone :D

PS: I made the back pain go away by popping the joint back into place by doing a couple more cross under kicks later in the day. So it sounds like a slight dislocation to me. Hope that clarifies things. Thanks again :)

Last edited:
I have that weird clicking whenever I do bicycle crunches and some kicks. I asked my physical therapist about it and he felt on my hip as it happened and said for me it was actually not the hip popping but the ligament/tendon/muscle whatever, catching as it slid OVER the hip bone in front. So I just have to find the right angle rotation of my leg for these moves and it doesn't click.

I experience a clicking in my hios when I carry soemthing heavy where the weight is not evenly distributed...like a 50lb. bag of horse feed or a hay bale etc. And it is always my right hip.

Yup - it's actually called Snapping Hip Syndrome. I've had it since I was a teenager. It's like hula girl said - it's the tendons/ligaments sliding over the bones. You can go to your doc and get a referral to an ortho to have it looked at for base-line purposes just to ensure there is nothing else going on. Beyond that, there is nothing to do but stay fit and limber.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.