Clean Eating?

crunch24

I am interested in learning more about clean eating. Does anyone currently do this?

Keep working hard

Happy Holidays everyone!

I don't by most clean eaters' standards, but I follow a lot of the premises of clean eating. There is a magazine "Clean Eating" that is published 4 times a year and then a book "Eating Clean" by Tosca Reno, that explains what it is, how to do it and gives lots of recipes (3/4 cookbook). She also has several other cookbooks and workbooks. I love the magazine because it has menus that give you a really good idea of how to put it all together. Check them out the next time you are at the bookstore. :)

Hi Crunch24!
I was interested in clean eating a while back myself and got the book by Tosca Reno called "The Eat Clean Diet". To be honest, she didn't tell me much that I didn't already know (or follow), but I did learn TWO major things. She talks about not eating pre-processed foods and watching the saturated fat content in things you eat. It may sound silly that I wasn't aware to watch out for saturated fat contents, but after reading the book I realized that the power bars I was eating (pre or post workouts) were like 18% saturated fat!! (Big no-no in Tosca's book! She says to say goodbye to any food over 10%).

Anyway, she says to eat a lean protein with a complex carb every 2-3 hours throughout the day. (I was already eating every 2-3 hours because I am hypoglycemic). But it requires a lot of pre-planning, but it's well worth it! She suggests lot of fresh veggies and fruits, whole grains, nothing processed, and she is big on oatmeal hooked up with fruit and nuts for breakfast. It really helped me learn to eat more frequent "meals" instead of 3 meals plus various snacks in between (which would never sustain me). Eating the way she suggests really helped and I found that I struggled less with my low sugar blues. She also suggests drinking lots of water.

I recommend the book. She includes sample breakfast, lunch & dinner menus, plus she includes a bunch of recipes. You can also buy a separate recipe book.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

:)Christine

Crunch 24,
I eat very clean and I basicy follow the rule of no sugar, nothing processed and no hydrogenated oils. Tosca Reno does a good job and I also like Bill Phillip's Eating for Life. They will both give you the basics of clean eating. However I believe Burn The Fat Feed The Muscle (BFFM) by Tom Venuto is by far the best!...that's just my opinion. I have learned so much more from reading BFFM.

Wow!

Hi Sonya,
Just wanted to say you look great! Congratulations. Now, THAT is what clean eating does for you! You are already a success story!

I keep telling my hubby - clean eating, clean eating (for me anyway!!)

I hope I look that good after STS. I'm a little over 130 and want to get to 125. That five lbs. I guess is going to come off from clean eating (95% of the time :eek:) and lifting those wicked weights :cool:

Anyway, keep up the good work. I love to follow good examples! Happy new year.

How does Lo-Carb compare with Clean Eating?

Can anyone tell me how a lo-carb diet compares with clean eating? I've got two cookbooks from George Stella and he uses only natural, fresh foods except for some Splenda in a few recipies. I use only olive oil and coconut oil. Thanks, Lynn:)

Hi Sonya,
Just wanted to say you look great! Congratulations. Now, THAT is what clean eating does for you! You are already a success story!

I keep telling my hubby - clean eating, clean eating (for me anyway!!)

I hope I look that good after STS. I'm a little over 130 and want to get to 125. That five lbs. I guess is going to come off from clean eating (95% of the time :eek:) and lifting those wicked weights :cool:

Anyway, keep up the good work. I love to follow good examples! Happy new year.

THANKS CHERYL! You are going to look fabulous after STS and I have no doubt you will reach your goal of 125!

I have recently seen a book titled "Clean Food" by Terry Walters in my local Whole Foods. It looked really good and the recipes sounded amazing. The sticker price was a little too much for me at the moment (~$40), but I will keep my eye on it. Here is the link if you are interested:
http://www.terrywalters.net/cleanfood.html

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.