Circuit Blast, MMA series Opinions?

susanzabo

Cathlete
Hi,

I want to get some opinions on Circuit Blast and the 3 DVDs in the MMA series. These have very mixed reviews on collage.com and contain the most negative reviews I have seen for any Cathe DVD.

Please give me your honest opinion so I can make the best purchase decisions. Are the MMAs more intermediate? Do you use them as add on to other workouts, maybe an add-on to HIIT? (I am stuck on the fact I need to work out for 60 minutes at a minimum)

Thanks for your feedback.
Susan

I have the entire Shock Cardio series and love them!! I will give you my opinions for the ones you mentioned. Keep in mind, everyone has different tastes. Also, I believe many Cathletes told me that this series was made to compliment STS Strength. With that being said, some workouts are harder than others and vary in intensity and length.

Circuit Blast, I would say is intermediate/advanced. I like that you can get a decent circuit workout in 45min (I am a fan of short, intense w/o's). I like the variety also (you get to use a medicine ball, weights, bands). It's not super tough but it does keep your HR elevated nicely. Sometimes I don't want a workout to "kill" me, and this fits the bill.

The 3 MMA's, I really like Boxing & Fusion. Both are under 1hr, which I am a big fan of. They are also not super tough, but great for lighter cardio days. Also, you get out of it what you put in. If you do the boxing with weighted gloves, it becomes harder. Fusion was actually harder than it looked when I previewed it. I would say that is the toughest of the three. Kickbox, well, I loved KPC so much, I was expecting a workout similar. It was not. When I expressed my opinion to another Cathlete, she told me that it was supposed to be "easier" to compliment STS. I do not have STS, but I can understand and appreciate that.

You know what, to each his own. Everyone is different. You might really love those workouts and you may not. Only you will have to determine that. Don't go by reviews, they might steer you in the wrong direction IMO.

Good luck!!

Natasha

I agree with Natty on these. I love shorter workouts too. I rarely have the time to do an hour or more these days. The workouts are probably more intermediate/advanced and you do get out of them what you put in. My favorites are Circuit Blast (alot of fun!) and MMA Boxing. MMA Fusion was good but I prefer the Boxing one. I only did the kickboxing one once and I can't quite remember what I thought of that one.

ETA: I've come to realize not every workout has to slay me. Sometimes (especially while doing STS) I have to mix in slightly less intense workouts to my regimen, otherwise I risk overtraining. The key to me with these workouts is "are they fun?". The answer: YES! :)

Last edited:
Thanks to you both. I operate under the idea that all workouts need to kick my butt. I work out 5 days a week, the other 2 are pure rest days, nothing at all, so I figure I have to go BIG the 5 days I have to work out. I have to work in the office on my rest days. I am up at 5am, out the door by 6am, home around 5pm. Then it's dinner, homework with the kids, and boom it's 8pm. Time for kids to go to bed and then I have an hour to relax. I choose to be lazy and watch TV. In bed around 9-9:30 and then up again at 5am the next day...

Susan

Boy that sounds like most of my days! The days just slip by when you have kids don't they? I know if I don't get my workout in the morning it simply isn't going to happen that day! I need my downtime after the kids are asleep to veg out and watch a little tv before bed!;)

I operate under the idea that all workouts need to kick my butt.

I really enjoy those workouts, but in terms of intensity, they are on the lower side (not like other instructors, just on a Cathe scale.) I like circuit blast.

These are my go to workouts when I'm recovering. I would never use any thing except a yoga or strength workout as an add-on to HIIT. The whole point (for me) to HIIT is to absolutely waste yourself, use up every drop of energy you have. Then, let your heart rest. Yoga and strength training are a wonderful add on. I like the new LIS series strength training sections for that.

If you are looking for more of a high intensity workout, then I would suggest something else. These are fun workouts, but not high on intensity. Actually, if you want intensity, go with "Intensity";) That one will kick your butt. Watch out for the doms with the 'hiit' sections. OmG, I tried to use them as an add on to a run one day, and I hurt for 4 days!!!:p

Thanks to you both. I operate under the idea that all workouts need to kick my butt. I work out 5 days a week, the other 2 are pure rest days, nothing at all, so I figure I have to go BIG the 5 days I have to work out. I have to work in the office on my rest days. I am up at 5am, out the door by 6am, home around 5pm. Then it's dinner, homework with the kids, and boom it's 8pm. Time for kids to go to bed and then I have an hour to relax. I choose to be lazy and watch TV. In bed around 9-9:30 and then up again at 5am the next day...

Susan

If you are looking for intense w/o's (I understand you want to get the best bang for your buck in 5 days) then yes, the ones you mentioned are not as advanced/intense as some other Cathe's. I agree with Alicia. Which other ones were you interested in? KPC is a wonderful kickboxing workout. For circuit, perhaps Bootcamp or DrillMax if you have not tried.

Good luck!

Natasha

I operate under the idea that all workouts need to kick my butt.

I'm afraid you might be disappointed in these if you got them--only because of intensity, not quality. They compliment STS strength perfectly, and are great if you need something a little lighter (for when you've been sick or something). I don't find myself reaching for them if I'm not doing STS. I use the Heavy Bag Bonus on MMA Boxing a LOT, though.

I'm afraid you might be disappointed in these if you got them--only because of intensity, not quality. They compliment STS strength perfectly, and are great if you need something a little lighter (for when you've been sick or something). I don't find myself reaching for them if I'm not doing STS. I use the Heavy Bag Bonus on MMA Boxing a LOT, though.

Thanks Elsie. You mention they work great with STS. I plan on starting the STS series in May, so it might be a good time for me to buy these (with 30% off with the presale) to prep for that. Do you use the MMA workouts on the non weight days or added on to an STS workout? Or do you use them exclusively for the rest week?

Thanks for your advice!
Susan

Thanks Elsie. You mention they work great with STS. I plan on starting the STS series in May, so it might be a good time for me to buy these (with 30% off with the presale) to prep for that. Do you use the MMA workouts on the non weight days or added on to an STS workout? Or do you use them exclusively for the rest week?

Thanks for your advice!
Susan

I've used them as written in the STS Strength and STS Shock Cardio 3 month rotation.
http://cathe.com/forum/f100/sts-strength-sts-shock-cardio-rotation%85-three-month-rotation-271387/
It's a 6-day-a-week rotation, so if you were tweaking it for your schedule and needed to double up, I would think you could add the easier ones to either a weight day or a cardio day. Definitely use how Cathe has scheduled the harder/easier cardio's as a guideline: i.e. the MMA's are usually scheduled around a leg workout, etc.

For rest weeks, I've done primarily yoga--but these workouts would probably not be too much. There are several threads on what people have done on rest weeks.

I have to add that when I received my Shock Cardio preorder and first tried the easier workouts, I was quite disappointed. But I hadn't done STS yet, so I tried to keep an open mind. I started the STS Strength/Cardio rotation a month later and was immediately impressed by Cathe's genius in putting all this together. Um. . . truthfully, it was "thank goodness she put this shorter/easier workout on this day because I'm completely spent!":eek: It was the same feeling of gratitude as when Cathe gives you a short breather after a tough blast.:p Although it did take me a while to convince myself that I wasn't 'cheating' by not going 'hard' and 'long' all the time. It helped to remind myself that this was all part of a 'plan' and that Cathe knew EXACTLY what she was doing in designing the rotation--which she did.

I'm doing a 6 1/2 month rotation this time around (just started my first week). I plan to do 1 week with STS Cardio and the repeat week with LIS and running. And I am looking forward to the MMA's and Circuit Blast--I've missed them.

Edited to add that I do the MMA's with 2 lb (each hand) weighted gloves to get my HR up to a moderate level.

Last edited:
I didn't read all of the responses, so sorry if I'm repeating anything.

Circuit blast is an awesome 45 min workout. I would consider it advanced, but I make it that way. It can be modified if need be.

I did the 3 MMA's one time and never went back to them. They just aren't near intense enough. I tried and tried to get my heart rate up, but it just didn't happen with those. In fact I need to try and sell them or give them away. Cathe is excellent in them, as always, but they just weren't for me.

Not really answering your question, but do you have Cardio Core Circuit, that one is Tough! It's like HIIT and Circuit combined, come to think of it, I think I need to do this one again, it's been forever since I have.

The MMA's, I can see why on the mixed reviews, I think people were expecting KPC style sweat fests and it's not that, nor do I believe it was intended to be. My fave of the 3 is the MMA one, Boxing is ok, but I don't love the drills, and kickboxing I do not recall liking, but I never gave it a second chance.

The MMA one has all these fun (subjective) fall back and rolling moves that although are really hard, at least make me laugh at what I must look like doing them, it adds great core work in a more functional way too. I could part with Boxing and Kickboxing, but the MMA one is a keeper for me.

I am really glad that this topic was posted because the MMA's and Circuit Blast were the only recent dvd's that I didn't have and wanted. And I have been thinking about ordering them with the pre-order discount too.

The shorter times and lesser intensity actually are attractive to me, since I have been getting up at 5 to work out and don't like pushing it as hard at that time in the morning, since I am definitely NOT a morning person.

I agree with everyone else about these workouts: Circuit Blast is fun and intermediate/advanced, and Cardio Core Circuit is fun and pretty advanced. The MMAs, though, are hard to recommend to someone looking for intensity. On the other hand, I LOVE the MMA core workouts! You use your whole body in a lot of creative new ways, which makes them fantastic as warm-ups (I use them before I go out for a run). The cool-down stretches are great too - really thorough.

Lurdes

I am really glad that this topic was posted because the MMA's and Circuit Blast were the only recent dvd's that I didn't have and wanted. And I have been thinking about ordering them with the pre-order discount too.

The shorter times and lesser intensity actually are attractive to me, since I have been getting up at 5 to work out and don't like pushing it as hard at that time in the morning, since I am definitely NOT a morning person.

Tracy-

Kudos to you for getting up at 5am while not being a morning person. I am totally a morning person, but 5am is still rough.

I am still on the fence about these. I will buy Circuit Blast, and am leaning towards Boxing and Fusion but passing on Kickboxing. That's where I am right now, I will make my final decision by the end of the week. I am going to look into the core workouts as mentioned by Lurdes, and take it from there.

Susan

I am still on the fence about these. I will buy Circuit Blast, and am leaning towards Boxing and Fusion but passing on Kickboxing. That's where I am right now, I will make my final decision by the end of the week. I am going to look into the core workouts as mentioned by Lurdes, and take it from there.

Susan

Good plan.

I just finished MMA Boxing, so here's my updated review: The upper and lower body bursts get your heart rate up nicely. With 2lb weighted gloves, my HR averaged around 147-150 during the combos but got up in the low 160's during the bursts (I double-time the arms a little earlier than Cathe does). You could also do jacks instead of shuffling between moves to up the intensity. Add on the Heavy Bag Bonus before the abdominal segment and you'll have a sweat fest. My max HR on the HB Bonus was 168. I really like the ab section. Unless you need some eye candy, ignore the guys.

Last edited:
I just did Circuit Blast this morning for the first time. Wow, this is a good workout. It's fun and there are no repeats. I had to modify a couple of burpee like moves but other than that - this moved quickly and was over before I knew it. I would definitely rate this as advanced and fun.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.