Christmas meal ideas

pjlippert

Cathlete
Howdy all,

What are some dishes that you and your family enjoy over the Christmas Holidays? We did the whole turkey thing on Thanksgiving and want to do something different for Christmas.

Thanks!
Pam

Hmmm... We go to the in laws every Christmas Eve, and that's always ham. When they do Christmas day, it's ham, turkey, and lasagna, but we're normally at my family's then.

I had Christmas day last year and did a crown roast of pork, with a cranberry stuffing in the middle. I'd never done one before, but it came out yummy (if I do say so myself, and I do!) I've also done turkey and ham in the past.

When we go to my family's we go to my brother's, not sure what's for dinner this year, but they've done prime rib in the past, turkey, ham, and I think there may have been a standing rib roast one year, but I don't recall. Although it's a good idea.

I've never had goose, but what about a traditional Christmas goose? Cornish game hens - they're kind of festive, and not something you eat everyday. Duck? Really old school - quail?

Go poke around the grocery store or butcher shop and see what looks interesting, then build the rest of the meal from there.

Nan

A delicious thing that my family has done the last few Christmases is a whole bone-in ham (you can also buy a half).We do NOT get the spiral cut ham because they can tend to dry out and are very expensive.

But I have found that a whole or half bone in ham is so easy and yummy and very very moist and tasty AND it can be purchased very inexpensively comparatively. Right now, where I live, they are going for .99 per pound at Safeway.

The glaze for it is so easy too:

1 c. maple syrup
1 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. honey
1/4 c. mustard (or more if you desire)
2 tsp. ground cloves.

heat this in a pan until it thickens and pour over ham before baking according to directions.

This is so delicious as I have said, and though it is fattening :( , we only do it once or twice a year and it is so worth it!

I love my Christmas menu...it takes me back to my childhood. I make arroz con gandules (rice and beans); pernil (roast pork); and tostones (fried plantains). This year I will also have pasteles (it is made from green plantain and stuffed with meat). Of course have to have the muscia navidena (spanish christmas music) playing in the background. Love, love, love, this time of year.

Check out youtube for videos on how to make any of these. Feliz Navidad (Merry Christmas).

Carmen. :cool:

WOW!! Now I'm really hungry! What a bunch of great ideas! It's gonna be hard to decide!

Thank you very much!

Pam
gggrrrrrowl- that's my tummy talking!

Sorry, I can't contribute to any healthy meals for Christmas. We indulge and don't ever look back. Eat, drink & be merry as they say! Here is sample of our menu:

- Stuffed breaded chicken breast with provolone & ham, or spinach & ricotta. You can do any type of cold cut and cheese to suit your taste. Even traditional stuffing would be good, just omit the breading on the chicken. :p

-Lasagna or pasta al forno (pasta under the oven) which is like lasagna but you use penne pasta, meat balls, tomato sauce & cheese in layers.

-All types of veggies & salad (gotta have healthy stuff too)

-Roasted, circle potatoes (these are awesome!)

Dessert:

-fruit
-panettone ( a traditional Italian sweet bread in all different flavors)
-cakes, pies, cookies of all kinds (my cousin is baker)
-nuts, nuts, nuts and more nuts
-candies, chocolates

Beverages:

-wine
-beer
-whiskey, brandy, Grand Marnier, Irish Cream, Amaretto

We love to eat in our family, and do not apologize for going "all out" :cool:

Merry Christmas!

Natasha

Natasha- you're my kinda gal!! I totally agree about allowing an occasional splurge day and what better day than Christmas!

I just have to convince my husband that my 'world' famous lasagna! Heck, Garfield would definitely approve! LOL!!:eek:

Pam

We, too, do lasagna, with all the fixins. Dessert is cookies and peppermint stick ice cream (always among the many flavors offered) That is actually our Christmas eve meal. Christmas day is usually a buffet. This year my son is making some kind of shrimp boil which he learned about since living in VA. You boil up the shrimp with potatoes, seasonings and I´m sure other stuff and then as he says, you dump it on the table and eat from there. Anyone familiar with that? Personally, I can´t wait!

My Christmas Menu:

Pomegranate and Key Lime Cocktail
Devils on Horseback

Coffee Glazed Brisket
Potato Latkes with Homemade Applesauce
Creamed Spinach and Parsnips

Peppermint Stick Cheesecake

No I’m not Jewish, but my family likes to experiment with foods from different countries and cultures. I vow to avoid the scale for the rest of the year and start my diet on New Year’s Day. I promise:eek:.

My Christmas Menu:

Pomegranate and Key Lime Cocktail
Devils on Horseback

Coffee Glazed Brisket
Potato Latkes with Homemade Applesauce
Creamed Spinach and Parsnips

Peppermint Stick Cheesecake

No I’m not Jewish, but my family likes to experiment with foods from different countries and cultures. I vow to avoid the scale for the rest of the year and start my diet on New Year’s Day. I promise:eek:.

Sounds delicious!! What on earth are Devils on Horseback? The Pom & Key Lime cocktail sounds divine!

Devils on Horseback are Medjool Dates stuffed with a Marcona almond and bluecheese then wraped in bacon and fried or baked till the bacon is crisp. Plan to serve it with a Port reduction sauce. Had these in Los Vegas at the Firefly Tappas Bar. They are devine. Yes I am a closet foodie. I excersice so I can eat;).

We're having sheep's stomach......

Just kidding! :p My doggies are having cow's stomach(tripe). I call it doggie crack.:cool:

I'm having turkey again. DH and I hate ham :eek:and everyone in my family loves the traditional turkey dinner with all the sinful side dishes.:D
I have Fanny May chocolate turtles coming today....yum!!! Oh, and cheesecake covered in strawberries!!!

Last edited:
Not sure what we'll do this year as I'm down with foot surgery...but I do remember one year we did a fondue. It was fun - appetizers with cheese dips with fruit and crackers,etc. Main course was meats and veggies. Dessert was chocolate fondue with pound cake, pretzels, strawberries, and the like.

It was different and a blast!
Heidi

My mom, brother and I are going out to eat. We have been doing that for the last few years b/c we don't want the same food as Thanksgivign and we don't want to cook.

We're going to somebody's buffet :)

I'm cooking this year and am making roast beast (beef) with roasted veggies and baked potatoes. My brother-in-law sent crab cakes and is bringing rolls. My mom is bringing heavenly delight (coconut, pineapple, sour cream,...) a fluffy, delicious dish I haven't learned to make because I'm sure it's calorie laden and I could eat it everyday! For desert we have homemade cookies and fruitcake from a bakery in Texas. My mother-in-law used to get it for us every year and we have one in memory of her since we miss her. I prepped a lot of stuff today since I have to go into work from 10A to 2P tomorrow (nursing homes never close for a holiday). But I'm off Monday and will enjoy the day! Merry Christmas to all.

Beth

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.