Christmas Card Envy! :P

I love getting letters and pictures. Of course most people are going to write about all the fun and good things that have happened to them in the past year. And frankly, I do want to hear all the good stuff. If I want bad news, I'll just turn on the TV. I love to get pictures too. It's so much more personal than a generic card that anyone can buy. I want to see peoples kids and pets and whatever else they deem important enough in their life to put on their card. Doesn't mean I'll keep it forever, but I enjoy receiving them.

I'm not big into Christmas, but I do enjoy the happy spirit in the month of December.

Annie

My parents had a friend who used to send out a letter that was the exact opposite. We used to call it the annual Christmas tale of woe. I swear, she told us about everything that went wrong over the year and never about anything good that happened. It was a good chuckle, because most of the stuff was minor and happens to everyone. It was just sooo pathetic, though.

We received one once that had a week by week account of someone's illness that had gone on for months and took up most of the 3 page letter! I can understand giving a summary of a major health issue, but do we really need that kind of detail?

I think I'm in the minority here, but I like getting Xmas letters. Life is just sooo busy its hard to keep up with people so I think it's a good way.

I even sent out one of those letters a few years ago but haven't found time to ever do it again!

What's the point of just sending a Xmas card with just your signature on it? Might as well not send anything at all. Baa Humbug..(sp??):p

I think the point was that many such letters are used to brag and blather on about stupid details that are rather mind numbing. I am always happy to hear about good news for family and friends but I am not interested in listening to someone brag about how perfect their world is.

I think the point was that many such letters are used to brag and blather on about stupid details that are rather mind numbing. I am always happy to hear about good news for family and friends but I am not interested in listening to someone brag about how perfect their world is.

I agree.

I also think it's hard to tell a person's tone in a letter, just as it is hard to decipher tone on e-mail or forums.

I have yet to uncover the secret of how to write a Christmas letter without sounding even a little bit braggy. I know, I've tried. I've sent out humourous letters the past couple years and am on the fence if I'm going to do the same this year. Even though humor is used, I still feel braggy. (maybe it's a personal problem ... haha :D)

I'm too empathetic. I don't like getting braggy letters, so I tend to believe people don't want to read my braggy letters either. So. Maybe this is the year I just do a photo card. :D

I got one of those this year....over a few glasses of wine I rewrote it for pizazz. Instead of "Hooly Who graduated from Pepperdine Magna Cum Laude" I wrote "Hooly Who was busted with a tranvestite prostitute and two vials of crack while visiting friends at a rave party in Camden, NJ" I guess you had to be there but I had a pretty good laugh. I was even tempted to send them the "corrected" copy. My grandmother would have been mortified to see how pompous some of her family has become!

Years ago, there was a letter in Ann Landers where some woman, who also hated those braggy letters, she gave what she said would be HER Xmas card letter. There was stuff about how proud she was that her son finally got out of rehab... It was hysterical.

A former co-worker sends an annual letter that is so rip-roaring hilarious (non-braggy family news peppered with a good dose of humor) that I actually look forward to it every year.

I have to say, generally with the cards, I'm just happy to be thought of. So many people don't "do" cards anymore, that it's just nice to be remembered. Doesn't really matter to me if the sender wrote a lot in the card's message or not. Pics are always nice. And the super-braggy newsletters...well, they're usually good for a few chuckles. :)

PS...Thanks for the shout-out to Camden, Beavs. Had to *lol* at that one. :D

I love getting pictures with the Christmas cards! :) I send a lot, too. I hope everyone isn't irritated when I send a picture!

I usually like the newsletters, too, unless they are way over the top. I sent out updates to a couple of people this year with our Christmas card because we had a really crazy year and I thought they might be interested.

Erica

You guys are cracking me up! And I'm really glad this thread has remained light-hearted because that is completely how I meant it! I think it's great that people like getting cards and updates: I'm making fun of *me* and my dead boring life!!

Sparrow - you had me laughing outloud with your post!!! And Beavs - I damn near hit the floor laughing so hard with your rewriting of the letter!!

I send out a Christmas letter since my family is 1000 miles away. Plus I don't send the letter to everyone. I kind of know who would enjoy reading it and who wouldn't.

I don't think my letters are over the top and braggy (don't have much to brag about anyway!) - but this thread got me thinking about pulling the past letters out and checking just to make sure!!!!

I get two of those every year. One is from a family friend and is a funny and interesting read. The other is from an Aunt and is brag, brag, brag, about her over acheiving family. I always look at the Aunt's letter and notice when a cousin is hardly mentioned. Makes me wonder if they just got out of rehab or is unemployed. I mean, can you imagine if you were that sibling and read all the bragging going on about the others?

Diane

I get two of those every year. One is from a family friend and is a funny and interesting read. The other is from an Aunt and is brag, brag, brag, about her over acheiving family. I always look at the Aunt's letter and notice when a cousin is hardly mentioned. Makes me wonder if they just got out of rehab or is unemployed. I mean, can you imagine if you were that sibling and read all the bragging going on about the others?

Diane

My best friend's mom does that to her. She brags on her other children and then says about my friend, " 'Sheila' continues to be unable to put her advanced degrees into play and still works as a secretary." And then her mom usually includes a hideous photo of my friend.

Yikes, is all I have to say to that!

I would love to send out a letter along these lines:

"What a great year! We have so much to be thankful for!

Jimmy's teacher agreed to drop the stalking charges provided we homeschool him and Janie's violin instructor was able to successfully have his vocal chords re-attached after the recent bow mishap. Jack was named Inmate of the Week for the 2nd time since his incarceration!

On the work front, the federal charges have been dropped against John's company and 4 of the 6 pending indictments at the local level look like they'll go away. Much of the evidence has successfully been shredded and all the prosecutorial witnesses have been persuaded to recant their prior testimony. The security tapes were inconclusive and our lawyer thinks we can get an easy plea deal as the sheriff is up for re-election and wants the whole matter over given what was uncovered during the course of the lengthy investigation . However, we ask for your prayers for the upcoming IRS audit.

As for me, I'm busy, busy with chairing the state penitentiary women's alumni club trailer decorating contest and trademarking some of my new tattoo designs (see my website: "tatsfortarts.com") I'm particularly proud of the monster truck design.

We wish you all a grand-jury free year! As a reminder, we are planning our vacations for the next year and would like to use your homes. Please let us know when you'll be gone so we can stay there."

:p (clearly, I have too much time on my hands today...)

I would love to send out a letter along these lines:

"What a great year! We have so much to be thankful for!

Jimmy's teacher agreed to drop the stalking charges provided we homeschool him and Janie's violin instructor was able to successfully have his vocal chords re-attached after the recent bow mishap. Jack was named Inmate of the Week for the 2nd time since his incarceration!

On the work front, the federal charges have been dropped against John's company and 4 of the 6 pending indictments at the local level look like they'll go away. Much of the evidence has successfully been shredded and all the prosecutorial witnesses have been persuaded to recant their prior testimony. The security tapes were inconclusive and our lawyer thinks we can get an easy plea deal as the sheriff is up for re-election and wants the whole matter over given what was uncovered during the course of the lengthy investigation . However, we ask for your prayers for the upcoming IRS audit.

As for me, I'm busy, busy with chairing the state penitentiary women's alumni club trailer decorating contest and trademarking some of my new tattoo designs (see my website: "tatsfortarts.com") I'm particularly proud of the monster truck design.

We wish you all a grand-jury free year! As a reminder, we are planning our vacations for the next year and would like to use your homes. Please let us know when you'll be gone so we can stay there."

:p (clearly, I have too much time on my hands today...)

LOL! Very nice!!!

Stacey, I remember that Ann Landers. I was trying to find it yesterday to post it here, but I couldn't find it.

OMG "tatsfortarts.com" I think I just ruptured something!!!! :eek:

Thank you Johannah for completely cracking me up today!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.