Choosing a new workout

LadyLep

Cathlete
I was thinking about getting either to the max, crossfire or afterburn. I just got xtrain and love it! CAn someone give me some good descriptions (diff. From what's on cathe.com) I really like HiiT, and hard strikes and tabatacise and step and workouts that get it done in a shorter time. :)

Thanks in advance,
Allison

Ho boy, you just mentioned my 3 favorite Cathe workouts! :eek: The biggest difference between Crossfire and To the Max is that TTM uses a step and CF does not. Otherwise, they are similar Hiit style workouts with crazy calorie burn! Afterburn is also considered Hiit but it is all low impact. AB works the legs and glutes like mad. I actually find many of Cathe's low impact workouts to be big time leg burners.

ETA: Seriously, I know I'm a terrible enabler...but I would get all three of these. :)

Last edited:
I enjoy all three, I probably use AB more often b/c it's easier for me to modify some of the band/disc moves which in CF and TTM are a bit too high impact for my old knees. I feel CF and TTM are more versatile as far as chaptering/premixes. I agree with the above poster, AB fries the booty! I also have DOMS in the "seat cushion" the next day!

There is some good reviews here of all 3...

Videofitness Workout Reviews: Cathe Friedrich

Last edited:
I love all three of them, too. In fact, when I am not in a rotation (doing Xtrain) they were my 3 main "go to" workouts. They are all tough and advanced. Personally of the 3, I think CF is the most fun and TTM the toughest. TTM and CF also have a lot more options via premixes than AB. However, AB is low impact, so if I want an intense workout, but I just did a lot of plyo the day before, I always go to AB. They are all awesome workouts. In fact, I am a month into Xtrain and I am working all 3 into the rotation for the next month. I miss them!

Edit--btw, you mentioned how you like HIIT, tabatacise and step, well you will get all 3 of those in TTM. Plus metabolic weight training (like in AB). So TTM gives you a ton of variety all packed into one intense workout. And like I said, the premixes are awesome so you break it down to any length you want.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses! Unfortunately budget doesn't allow me to get more than one. Actually my mom for me Xtrain for Christmas and accidentally got 2 fire walkers. And so she said I could get something else that was a little more as she is going to return one tomorrow. .

I will check out the link posted. But I'm leaning towards TTM because if the variety factor but then crossfire for the fun factor. The premixes are big for me since I home school 3 out if my 4 boys (youngest is almost 2), my time is often interrupted! Lo max was in the running until I looked at the premixes.

I'm also doing the 90 day und. Rotation, just finishing week 3. I've not done the exact workout for each day but have done something from each assigned DVD.

Allison

DOMS: delayed onset muscle soreness
If you are only getting one I'd vote for TTM, I love doing step w/o so I prefer this over CF.

I think ttm is funer then cf and more varity then cf. I like them both but i love step workouts. It isnt complicated either.

Last edited:
that is a tough call. i love crossfire and when you do the extreme premix you burn an amazing amount of calories, but to the max is fun and seems to fly by. afterburn is great if you want HiiT with no impact, but the premixes on CF and TTM offer more variety, I think. Anyway, if you prefer step, I would go with TTM, or if you want floor HiiT and Tabatas plus some circuit training, then I would go with CF. Or, maybe do one now, and the other two later?;)

The decision is easy: both CF and TTM will ramp up fitness levels and burn major calories. It all boils down to whether you prefer floor cardio or step cardio?

Clare

I was thinking about getting either to the max, crossfire or afterburn. I just got xtrain and love it! CAn someone give me some good descriptions (diff. From what's on cathe.com) I really like HiiT, and hard strikes and tabatacise and step and workouts that get it done in a shorter time. :)

Thanks in advance,
Allison

I love the HiiT from Intensity. It's tough and has a fun step routine (plus great music!) I still haven't tried my Crossfire, but I know my friends love it!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.