Choice of DVD advice please!!

yiota

Hi Cathy, I was wondering if you could recommend one or more good dvds to try your workouts. I am overwhelmed by choice!

I am 39 years, had a baby 7 months ago, heavily pear shaped with saddlebags, need to lose about 6-7 kgs, poor muscle tone (could not do a single push-up) and I sometimes get sore knees from too many lunges etc. I have been working out 3-4 weekly with Christi Taylor's dancefit for about a month now (interval mix of cardio and weights 65 mins) and definitely feeling fitter and stronger but I'm not sure what my classification is, beginner or intermediate. Resting heart rate is 57 which I'm told indicates reasonably good cardio level. I am following a good eating plan as well.

My goals are to shape up my rear end and legs and build up the back and arms a bit to even up the pear shape. I also want to maintain good cardio fitness. My priority is to shape up the lower body. Could you please recommend rotations?

Many thanks

Yiota

Last edited:
Not Cathe, but here's what I recommend:

Lower Body Blast, Turbo Barre, and Butts n Guts for the lower body

Gym Styles Chest/Triceps and GS Back/Biceps/Shoulders for upper body

STS Total Body for a good, solid overall total body workout that will keep the heart up and fat burning high while challenging all of the muscles- it has some great remixes too!

I am a Meso (hour glass) but I have heard a lot of women that have pear shapes do better with higher reps and lower weight for the bottom half. To build the upper body you'll need to heavy up, especially bc Pears tend to have more ectomorph fibers on the top halves of their bodies which makes it harder to increase muscle sizes.

I'd also recommend continuing Step Aerobics. It's a great lower body workout that uses body weight to strengthen and tone the muscles. It burns major calories too!

Thank you!

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, really appreciate your recommendations :)

While I do not disagree with the above posts, I highly recommend looking at Cathe's beginner rotation.
She recommends just a few DVDs that do not use an extreme variety of equipment. If you have never done step workouts before, this is a good intro to how she does choreography.
There is also an official Cathe intermediate rotation, when you are ready for the next step up in buying DVDs and equipment and increased complexity in the moves.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.