::: Cheetahs::: Friday 8/25/06

OKAY! I can NOT buy anything else fitness related until next year now! LOL I just bought a friggin' jogging stroller online for under $85.00! That includes shipping! I couldn't turn it down!!! I've spent sooo much $$$ in the past few months! AAAHHHHH! LOL :+ }( :+ :7

I am doing the happy dance now DESPITE the flames shooting from my credit card!:p

Hi Cheetahs. I've not been posting for a few days. I took 3 days off from any exercise which I never do and I have been binge eating and sleeping instead.
I can hardly move I've been so tired.
I'd increased my running from 3 miles (May,June)(I started in April) to 4/6 miles 3x a week(July,August)along with keeping my 3 days of Cathe weights (GS & Intensity series primarily). Could I have pushed myself too hard? Is it too much at 53?
I do fine doing Cathe Imax & other cardio/weight rotations 5/6 days a week (which I have beening doing reularly for a few years) but I'm wondering if running is different?
Plus I am always hungry lately since I've upped my miles & I've put on 5 lbs. The whole point of running again (after a 10 year hiatus)was to lose 10lbs. Now I have 15 to lose!
I'm sorry for ranting but I would love some expert advice.
I don't know what to do. One thing I loved about doing Cathe was having a rotation posted monthly and I just followed it. Running demands a higher level of self responsibility and planning.
I'm only 5'3 1/2 inches tall and I weight 153. Again.
Any advise from you all is greatly needed.
Colleen

Hmmmmm... interesting because an article I just read said that a big mistake in marathon training is doing your long run 2-3 weeks before because your body has longer to recover?? http://www.active.com/story.cfm?story_id=13004&category=Running&num=3 Here's a link to that article. Anyway, I'll see how I feel tomorrow. I really would rather get it over with & I'll still be running probably a 15, 12, & 8 mile run the next 3 Saturdays. And next weekend is Labor Day & we will be traveling in the car Sat, so if I did my long run I wouldn't get as much stretch/ relax time.... decisions decisions! Just hoping the rain holds out for tomorrow too, it's in the forecast!

Hugs,

Yeah!!! Wendy bought a jogging stroller!!!! How cool is that??? And what a great price! What kind is it? I'm sure you'll love it & so will Joey! My dd loves ours!!

Hugs,

Well, Greg made it through the consult appt & the big day is scheduled for Sept 8th!! We had to wait a long time (an hour in the waiting room!) & Allison was soooo good. I had packed her a backpack w/ toys, snacks, colors, etc so she kept everyone in the waiting room entertained. I was so proud of her. Then we had to run a couple errands & made it home for lunch & naptime. Greg's mowing the lawn now & the girls will be home from school soon. I don't know what we'll do tonight, it's kinda cloudy & yucky out. Maybe it'll be a movie & popcorn night! (air-popped, good carbs for running tomorrow, right? :p )

Wendy ~ It's taken me a good year to convince Greg to get it done!! Actually, he's the one that said he was ready for it. We've talked about it all along once we were certain we were done having kids & well... we're DONE! ;-)

Have a great night!

Hugs,

Hey Ladies, just peeking in before afternoon appointments to see what the Cheetahs are up to:)

Wendy, congrats on, yet ANOTHER,}( :) fitness toy. Lucky Joey, it looks so comfy and fun to sit in one of those!

Mattea, I did a BodyFlow DVD, it's the flexible strength workout that LesMills International (BodyPump, BodyStep...) produces. I taught it for 3 years and now just use it for home use. I haven't done a Shiva Rea yoga workout but I use her music mix sometimes when I teach yoga which will start up again in the fall. Lucky you to have an 'in house' masseuse;-)

Katie, so sorry to hear that your back is giving you so much grief. I know you know but...keep listening to your body and resting when it needs rest. Sounds like something acute is going on, will you see your doctor?

Jess, glad to hear that Greg is willing to undergo the procedure, your body has been through enough regarding creating (or preventing) a bigger family. Fair's fair, it's his turn;-) I don't know too many women anymore that go for tubal ligations, I think the pendulum has swung somewhat and men are more willing to do what needs to be done and that's a good thing:)

Cathy, my fingers are crossed for healed Cheetahs too!

Christine, have fun with CircuitMax, I miss that workout...something to look forward to after the half}(

Elaine, so glad you're feeling better!! Thanks for your kind words:) I often feel sad for my Girls not having their Daddy and to have had such sadness at such a young age but boy oh boy; they have a vastly different perspective from their friends as to what an actual 'problem' is. Hope your run was a good one!

Colleen, no advice for you but lots of support and good wishes for the results that you are looking for. I'm 44 and find that I have to work harder for the same results as I had a few years ago. Good for you to keep at it and for the willingness to roll up your sleeves and do what needs to be done.

Uh,oh, I did it again, I'm LATE:+ I apologise in advance for any bad spelling or grammar. I know you'll forgive me:)

Take Care
Laurie

Jess, I have seen that article before and that is the *only* place I have seen a four week taper recommended. I've read a few books on marathoning and in each of them 3 week tapers are recommended and is what I have always used in my own training. That is why I would not recommend a 4 week taper. But of course what works for some does not necessarily work for all! Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

Edited to add that I just wanted to get the word "recommend" in here one more time!!!

Jess :: I've heard good things about the foam rollers, too, but it sounds a little different. The Stick is made of hard plastic "nuggets" that rotate, so they work in there real well. Of course, if the ice is workin' for ya, no need to spend more moolah! Leave that to Wendy and me! :)

Wendy :: my lack of deciphering ability is definitely not your fault -- I just don't own many Cathe DVDs (YET!), so I'm at a loss at times. :) No, no DOMS here, either. Got me wondering: do you NEED to have DOMS usually in order to make gains? Congrats on the great stroller deal!! Need me to come up there with an extinguisher?

Christine :: I've only done the CT timesaver once and thought it was still a good, tough workout. Today, I actually wound up doing the PUB timesaver...that, too, was challenging. Do you try to do the full workout whenever possible or do you think the timesavers are legitimate workouts on their own?

Laurie :: I didn't realize you'd lost your husband as well. I'm sorry.

Colleen :: I don't think you've pushed too much. The general rule of thumb is not to increase time or mileage by more than 10% per week. And as you increase mileage, it's normal to be hungrier. Five lbs. could easily be a fluctuation in water weight; it could also reflect a pound or two of muscle gain. What about your diet? Are you eating enough? If not, that could be what's making you so pooped. In my experience, running & weight lifting can cause you to see gains before you see the fat loss you want. When I first started running, I had about 10-15 lbs. to spare, but I wasn't actually running to lose weight at the time...I really was only running for the stress release. About four-five months into my running, I began weight lifting. And at first, I found myself gaining a few lbs., but after a few months, weight just started to melt off. I guess the point is that the number on the scale can be deceiving...even if it goes up, if you are seeing a difference in your body measurements and the way your clothes fit, that's success! So, my advice would be to make sure you are fueling your body properly for your runs, and be patient.

-cathy :)

Hello Cheetahs again.

I just got back from a run. I think it's about 5 miles and then I did one of Cathes ab hits and a stretch.

Cathy: thanks for the encouragement. DH says I look more fit even if the scale says I weigh more. I'm going to keep going and see what happens in a few months.

Jess: I love the new "ice roller" idea.

DH took our 9 year old out of town for a vist to my in-laws so I have the whole house to myself for the weekend. DH has his business in the house so I am rarely alone. It felt good to exercise this afternoon for 90 min without guilt.

As they say in Galaxy Quest. "Never give up, never surrender"

Colleen

Hey! Did I tell you guys that I bought a jogging stroller today!?!?!? ;) ;) :p :+ :+ :7 :7 }( :D :) :p

So do you think I'm excited about ^^^? HAH!:7

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.