CHEETAHS Check-In 1st day of Summer 6/21 Wednesday

Fit_mommy

Cathlete
Happy first day of summer CHEETAHS!:)

I woke up about 4:30am to use the potty and couldn't fall back to sleep so I finally got out of bed at 5. UGH! lol

I plan to do a portion of Slim Lean and Defined this morning which is a new muscle endurance video I got and then this afternoon, before dinner, I will run but only about 2 miles and hopefully on the track. I'll do my 4 mile TM run on a day when I'm not doing weights first...}(

Have a great day, a great week and a great weekend!:+

Oh crap! I must've been typing in an open post and crossed paths w/ yours, Wendy. (I started another thread for today.) So, I'll cut and paste mine in here...

Good morning, Cheetahs!

School is officially over (yay!) and I'm up early, anyway, to beat the heat with an early AM run. Plan to follow that with GS BSB. I did run last night and did GS CT but didn't make it to check-in. Pre-trip chaos, sorry!

Wendy, Christine, and Judy :: hope you enjoy your respective trips!

Laura :: your SIL sounds like a real joy to be around. Clearly, she must be insecure & threatened by you...otherwise, why would she need to make those comments? I give you much credit for being willing to put up with her during training.

Karen :: hope the ITB problem calms down. Maybe it'd be wise to lay off (or cut back on) the hills a bit and see if that helps. I know the downhill puts tremendous strain, esp. on the lower legs.

Pamela :: I know what you mean...the World Cup has been interfering w/ the rest of my life, too...but I love it!

Marcia :: your days sound unbelievably long. I'd have a hard time staying on track with that schedule. Any let-up in sight?

Hi to Carole, Jess, Mattea, Thomasina, Barb, ShellyC, Gayle, & everyone else who follows.

Have a great day!
-cathy

HI Cheetahs,
I'm trying the early check-in today so the day doesn't get away from me.

Today, my plan is to do PLB and walk in the a.m. and then P90x shoulders & arms in the afternoon. The two-a-day plan is to adapt to the summer schedule with my kids.

Wendy-- hey have fun on your trip. Happy summer and have fun with the Slim and Lean tape. Is that Jari Love? Good luck with the 2 mile run.

Christine -- thanks for the GAP tip. I'm going to check out the sale later today. Have a fun trip yourself. What do you mean exactly about doing Circuit Max with a barbell? You mean for the whole workout you had a barbell on your shoulders or for the weight portions?

Karen-- Don't be frustrated about the ITB flare up. This is your body talking to you and you are doing a good job listening. I agree with Elaine's advice: somehow something was too much too soon. I sometimes go back and look at how I've been working out, read a few comments I made like "i was tired, maybe I had a cold" and then look at the workout pattern and say: "Duh, I was tired because I did X, Y & Z and the week before I did XX, YY & ZZ and I didn't pace myself well..."
Are you accidentally doing two things at once: hill workouts + speed workouts without enough recovery (for your unique and marvelous body) in between. Or weight workout that's hard + run workout that's hard without enough recovery time in between (for your unique and marvelous Cheetah self?) Maybe there is something like that going on or maybe you have an early injury warning sign? Be careful and I have no doubt you can train and complete a half. No doubt. :)
Rest helped & ice helped last time. Hopefully it will calm down and then you can rebuild from there and try to figure out how you can keep training and not aggravate the spot.
Every bump is an opportunity to grow. Your enthusiasm about me planning for my big family event -- which truth be told, I'm not pumped about, but am working it -- challenged me to put on a happy face!:eek:

Mattea -- ok, I fear the power circuit on Body Max. Great workout! Thanks for the compliment to me. I hope you feel better. There are a lot of niggling viral things going around my neck of the woods. I felt ill last week -- enough to feel like crap, but no startling fever, etc. You'll be back to your old self in no time.:)

Laura -- glad you're feeling slowly back to being your old self. Your Garmin sounds great.

Pamela -- I love Core Synergistics, but think it's really a hard workout. I think it's great for running.

Gayle -- hi. How is summer going with training and the kids' schedule? Good luck on your race this weekend. I hope the babysitting glitch works itself out.

Carole -- maybe I missed this, but what endurance leg workout did you pick yesterday? Your race day is coming up! I don't have a next race picked out yet, but am thinking maybe something outside of my home town, turn it into a travel opportunity?

Elaine-- Do you have an elliptical at home you use? I am thinking of doing more slideboarding for a single workout as a cross-training technique, instead of just doing it before and after my harder runs. I was re-reading some part of a Matt Fitzgerald book and realized that Inline Skating is a cross-training activity for running -- and that's the slide board. I was doing swimming -- but my vanity, i.e. I get my hair colored and swimming makes it not last as long as I want it,too -- makes me think about not swimming once a week..but swimming is a really gentle, nice active recovery workout. Hmm....

Hi to everyone else coming by later: Thomasina, Marcia, Cathy, Shelly (on vacation I think?), Karin (I feel you lurking...) and anyone else I am missing.

Barb

:) :) :)

Good morning, cheetahs- - - - - - -

It's rather cloudy this morning, but I'm hoping that they will clear away to a beautiful day. I will be running 2 miles after work and then Super Sets when I get back home. I haven't done that one in a long time, I thought it was time to brush off the dust and get moving.

Cathy - Thank you so much for your concern, but I don't see my schedule getting any better soon at all. I'm going to try today to look at my schedule and find some time to take off when my boss is, that way there won't be any problems. Have a great day!

Wendy - Don't you leave today on your vacation??? I know it's soon isn't it?

Barb - I hear you about schedules - whew....., mine isn't with my DS, though, it's with work. This summer my DS actually told me he didn't want to be in anything except swimming lessons. :) No camps, baseball, basketball, etc. I was kind of confused why, but we are enjoying our nights at home. He actually told me he'd rather not be rushed and that way I can actually cook a meal instead of throw something in the microwave all the time. Funny - the things they miss and the fact that they don't like all the running around either sometimes.

Anyway - have a spectacular day everyone and I'll be back later to check on everyone elses day.

~Marcia~

Hi Marcia-- we must have posting around the same time. I know what you mean about just having some hang-out time and a break from the routine. My kids really feel that, too. Sorry about your work schedule. If I am remembering right you work in a school administration office and I'm thinking there is little flexibility, i.e. when a meeting is called, you have to be there. I'm getting a little claustrphobic thinking about it.

Cathy -- congrats that school is over for you! Yay!

I ended up doing Legs from SB, and Timesaver (part of L& G) and then the floorwork from PLB. I think it's what my stiff lower body was asking for, so it'a good choice. My challenge is to see if I can get myself to do the upperbody plan from P90x later in the day.

Have a good one everyone!
barb:) :)

Good Morning Cheetahs. This morning I doing Muscle Endurance. that's it. My IT band feels much better but I can still feel a pull when I move a certain way. Of couse I try not to move that way but I really don't know it's the way until I do it.

Barb- I think your right. I think looking back it was overkill with the hills the other day. I am going to restart and refocus from this point and see how it goes. If I can't seem to move past this then I need to figure out what to do. I'm not giving up hope yet. I just need to put it into prespective. Thanks so much. I wish I could help with your party. I love to do those kinds of things. You should see Christmas over here.

Wendy- Get on the boat. Get on the Boat.

Marcia- Enjoy SS and your run.

Cathy- Thanks for the advice. I needed a place to vent and you cheetah's were my saving grace.

Off to workout and then the library with the kids.

karen

www.picturetrail.com/karenvictoria

good morning everyone,
I didnt get out of bed this morning to do anything,now I will have to do it after work.

cathy I put up with my SIL just for my brother.I am very close to my brother and he knows how she is,we have talked about it. I dont dislike her but dislike some of her ways and like you said she has issues. But she is very competitive and it drove her own sister away from exercising with her. I wont let her have the satisfaction of getting to me plus one day I plan on flying right by her in a 5k race,arent I bad! It also gives me someone to run with that early in the morning, so I can acctually go a different path once in awhile.

anyway ,chat with you all later,have a nice day!!

Good morning, fellow cheetahs! Here's my normal, daily quickie:

4 miles, intervalling between 8:30 and 7:30 mile pace. Then the push ups (on toes) from GS Chest. Ouch. lol

Karen-you're getting good advice. Back track, slow down, and start slowly again. Good luck!!!

Today's plan....mow the yard, pool, then baseball game tonight.

Gayle

Gayle -- sounds like you have a great day planned. Organized lady you are!

Karen-- quick thought: if you have the info, go back and look at how you originally built up to 30 miles/week. Maybe in there, you can find some info about maybe where you increased some aspect of your running a little too fast. Great that the pain feels better today!
I admire that you are good at party planning. Definitely not my strong suit, but I am trying to learn. I read Entertaining for Dummies (LOL -- right at my level) and it was helpful. I've got lists, etc. but it's a feeling of being put out of my comfort zone, but for a good reasons. I am like a "have one family over" kind of entertainer. I know it will all be worth it.

It's raining here, so my kids swim plans for the day are up in the air.
Back to Target for me since they rearranged the store and I couldn't find everything I needed on Monday in the allotted time... LOL.

Barb

Good morning cheetahs

Wendy...you were up way early....must be excited about the cruise!! Have a great time...:)

Cathy...I'll be running early to avoid the heat too...it'll be in the triple digits today! Are you ready for your trip??

Barb...I did Push-Pull legs (2 sets). Yes, my pacing run is coming up this weekend. I am scared and excited...Have fun with PLB and P90X!! Wish I had some of your rain!!

Marcia...have fun with Supersets!

Gayle..looks like a good workout! Push-ups on the toes! Way to go...:)

Pamela...hope you got to do Core Syn!! Good luck with the shoes. I never need to many excuses to get new ones myself!!

Karen...I never got bruising with my IT band issues either. I was fortunate as the pain never stayed too long as long as I cut back miles and avoided hills...

Mattea... sorry about the body aching. Yuk. Hope you are feeling lots better today.

Christine...hope you have a great getaway with your DH and enjoy that masssge!!

I'll be doing MM Bi's and shoulders, abs and a 5 or 6 mile run before it gets too hot!!

Have a great day...:)

Laura--in my head I typed you this: good luck with your SIL. Stay in your own zone and play "your own game." because running, IMHO is about working with your own baseline -- and improving from there. It's so nice you love your brother and care about him enough to hang out with his wife who is not so fun to be with.

I meant to type it, but didn't!

Carole -- Push Pull is a good idea. I always forget about that DVD because I end up thinking it will take too long. But it's a good work out. Good luck on the pacing run. I know you'll do great!

Barb

Gayle - did you get your BFL book back yet? I mailed it out quite a while ago and wasn't sure if you got it or not.

Thanks again, Marcia.

Good morning!

Wendy, I thought you were already gone! So when are you leaving?

Barb, Yes I have an elliptical at home. I got it a few months ago and have put it to good use. The only thing about it that bugs me is sometimes my feet get numb. I've done some internet searching trying to find a solution but none so far. And the play I took my DD to on Sunday was adult actors. One of the local community colleges has a two year vocational training program where the students, from acting to technical, work with resident professionals. The shows I have seen are always quite good, as I would expect since it's not the cheapest form of entertainment around here.:)

Karen, If it's any consolation, my chronic left shin problem is flaring up. Since I can trace it back to speed work I took a break from it yesterday. Hopefully the inserts my podiatrist has prescribed, and that I am waiting for to be made, will help. Just listen to your body and build up slowly. And this is advice that I need to heed myself!!:) :) :)

Carole, Would you say that we can expect hot days when we are vacationing at Pit River? Or will the altitude cool things off where we'll be? So your pacing run for the Western States run is this weekend????? :) :) :) What day will it be?

Gayle, I did GS Chest and Tris yesterday, first time in a long time. I've got DOMS that I believe are from those push up drop sets. Hurts so good!! Sounds like your are busy as usual but it all strikes me as a good kind of busy. :) :)

Cathy, Welcome to summer vacation. The first week and 1/2 have gone by so fast here! When will you be leaving on your trip?

Marcia, I agree with your DS that taking it easy in the summer is a good thing. That's what I used to love about it when I was a kid. I've got all sorts of fun things planned with my DD and DS but there is really more down time than not. I hope that you'll be able to take a break soon.:) :) Do you have that Running For Women book that Wendy mentioned a few weeks back and that you said you wanted or am I confusing you with someone else? I've got it and would be happy to pass it on to you or whoever that was that wants it......

Laura, I know from experience what it is like to run with someone like your SIL. For me, running alone is preferable:7 :7 . I hope you'll be able to leave her behind to pick up your draft soon!

Hi to everyone else. You know who you are!!:7 :7 :7

Good Morning Cheetahs!
I'm feeling much better today, no more body aches and headache is gone as well. I plan on doing upper body later today as well as some abs, probably the last portion of BMax that I didn't finish yesterday:p

Wendy-Have an awesome cruise!

Christine-Enjoy YOUR trip, too, lol! I'm glad you're all decked out in style.

Cathy-School's out! Best feeling EVER!

Barb-How exactly are you managing the 'two-a-day plan?' I also usually fear BMax, but running has done so much for me that I actually went to an 8 inch step this time:eek:

Marcia-I love Supersets! The music, the moves, the outfits, lol-Enjoy:)

Laura-You're not 'bad', you're a cheetah, and part of being a cheetah is sometimes encoutering, uh, shall we say, 'unexpected' speed;-) Besides, the experience will be good for her personal growth.

Karen-Glad your IT band is feeling better! I think if you go back and investigate you'll find your answer, and then with the new info. think how you'll be marathoning:+

Gayle-I love the GS push-ups and try to do them twice a week. I don't want them to feel 'hard' again, lol! Last time I even started at 20 and stripped the set down from there. }( Yes, I took an extra long break between 14 and 12.

Carole-Hope you beat the heat! You're race is going to be fabulous this weekend! We'll all be thinking about you (for several hours, lol).

Mattea

Elaine--that's odd about your feet going numb. I'll be interested to hear what you find out. Does it hurt or is it just bothersome? I hope the orthotics help with the shin pain. An injury to work around isn't easy -- and the whole listening to your body thing is definitely hard to do. I have a friend who had a gastrocinemus (sp??) injury and orthotics really solved it for her. Thanks for the info about the play.

Mattea-- the 2-a-day plan? LOL. I usually try to get exercising done in 2 segments: one longer segment (60Min) and then the other stuff (stretch, the core work I procrastinate doing) in a shorter segment. If it's a slide board day: tack on 15" pre-run. During the school year, I try to get the long segment in before getting my kids going and then finish up say with abs or shorter weight work right after I take them to school. (Think entree workout of the day: 60" and then side dish later or vice versa and goal of showering & hair primping once!)

It usually leaves me with 90" to workout without feeling rushed, so I can hit "pause" etc. With the summer plan, I need to fit in the 2nd segment after morning activites are done, say later in the day like after 4 p.m. I have to live the summer routine for a few more days before I can readjust my exercising schedule to make sense.

Hi, ladies.

Marcia-YES! I'm sorry, I forgot to let you know I got it back....like 2 weeks ago! LOL. Sorry about that.

Yes, I'm busy, but it's a GREAT kind of busy!!!

My weekend running plans are slowly falling into place. The dilemma is a babysitter. But, the L&LS team is running their long run Saturday morning, at the parkway where the 5K is that mom and I want to do. SO........mom is coming over early (6:30am) to sit with my kids and I'm carpooling with a friend to the parkway for our long run (6 miles). Then mom and boys will come out to the parkway and the boys and I will cheer mom on as she walks that 5K. Fair trade off, I believe. Sunday is a 5 mile road race that I may or may not do. With the long run Saturday, there is no realy NEED for me to run the extra 5 on Sunday, but I may WANT to. LOL

ANYWAY.......keep moving! You ladies are so motivating!

Gayle

Elaine- I appreciate it. I know it is so hard to listen but when it's put down on paper and you see it in black and white it makes sense. Looking at what Barb said my flare up with the IT band began after a 5k which has two steep hills. I didn't think it was the problem going up them it was down them. Then I got better. So the other day I did the hills and now I think it is the up and down portion of the program . When I heal I am going to eliminate hill work.
karen

www.picturetrail.com/karenvictoria

Karen--glad the detective work is paying off. I had these stored on my computer somewhere...don't know if they might be helpful..

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,5033,s6-51-0-0-1063-1-2-2,00.html

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,5033,s6-51-0-0-5955,00.html

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,5033,s6-51-0-0-9571,00.html
>>Before charging a hill, do a shoulders check. Are they creeping up to your ears? If so, roll them both forward then backward to relieve tension and keep them low and relaxed.

>>If you feel tightness in your quads, gently "kick" your leg back slightly farther than normal at the end of each stride while you are going up. Don't do this on a down slope.

>>When running downhill, instead of landing each stride on the heel, focus on the feeling of naturally gliding downhill--almost in a free fall--landing evenly across the midfoot.

Hello everyone!

I went for a 3mile steady state run this morning, and I typed up a post greeting you all, but apparently I failed to hit post message, so it's gone. :+ :+

Wendy, your excitement must be interfering with your sleep. Have fun!

Cathy, school's out -- yay! I bet you can't wait for your trip to Germany. Life is finally back to normal for me since the NBA finals are over, and Trinidad lost.

Carole, today was much better. I'm starting to think the pain was due to poor stretching last week (okay, no stretching last week :+ ). I made sure I stretched Monday and today, and I feel pretty much normal. As much as I'd like more shoes, I'd rather have the slow and heavy series. :)

Karen and Mattea, glad you're both feeling better. Sending speedy recovery vibes to you both ~~~~~~~~~~~:)

Barb, How did your two a day schedule work? I really like Shoulders and Arms. I tend to avoid core work and yoga so I didn't get to Core Synergistics yesterday. Here's the story : After dd's basketball game yesterday, I stayed for 3 quarters of my neighbor's game, and by the time I got home, fed the kids, cleaned up dinner dishes it was time for the Heat game which didn't finish until midnight, notwithstanding the fact that my sis and I watched all of the after game hype until my dh got back from the party. However, we both know those are just excuses because if it was a run or some other workout I really enjoy, only illness or severe pain would make me miss it. :D

Hi Elaine, Laura, Gayle, Marcia, and everyone else!

Have a great evening and a great summer!
Pamela

Pamela--your kid schedule yesterday with sports makes working out sound easy! They don't sound like excuses. Nice your sister could keep you company.

My attempt to do AbRipper and Shoulders and Arms later in the day happened: I did it, but I won't plan to do it this way again. Too much of a hassle knowing that "later today, I have to do these workouts." I like Shoulders and Arms, too -- and I'm looking forward to trying more of the DVDs in the next month.

I know what you mean about wanting to avoid core & Yoga. I don't like doing it, but after I do it, it's always worth it and I feel a noticeable change in my trunk strength from doing core Synergistics for 4 weeks.

have a great night everyone!
:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.