Check-in - all the former "Mommies to be"

Liann

Cathlete
How are you ladies and your kiddos doing? Akadia is almost 7 months now (depends on if you go by weeks or month to month). She has her first tooth and is working on another. Not crawling yet, but she sits up really good and does lean forward on her hands, just doesn't get up on those knees yet. We've started solids and she loves applesauce, pears, and sweet potatoes. Not too fond of carrots. And the little chunker weighs almost 19 pounds. If she would just go back to sleeping through the night again, we'd be all set. As is, I'm working on about 3 hours of sleep today. So, how are you ladies all doing? Any of you still around? I know I just saw Lulu here. :)

Tooth.jpg

Hi Amber,

Akadia is so darling! 7 months already. Time flies. Sometimes I wish time would go faster so I knew what Lainey was crying about. She does not cry excessively like Colic but I think she has gas issues so we have changed a few things for her. Sensitive formula, gas drops, make formula in another container and pour in bottle. Seems to be better. Can't distinguish her cries totally yet. She is always hungry so we are mostly formula feeding and I will try to pump more and be able to build a supply to just feed in a bottle. Hope I can.

Speaking of Lainey - she is up and fussing..........

Hope everyone else is good.
Winter

Hi Ladies!

I'm still around, but I really only get the chance to check the forums once every few weeks. It seems like I only have time to work out about that much too! Morgan is doing well and we love being her parents. She'll be 6 months old this week. She's not sitting yet without support and not teething yet either. She had been sleeping well for about 8 hours at night, but this week she's been waking up again in the middle of the night and is hard to get back to sleep. I'm hoping it's just a short phase. We're just beginning solids. We started rice cereal 2 weeks ago which she loves, and peas 3 days ago which she hates. Speaking of solids, for those of you with older infants, once they're on solids, how often do you still nurse or give formula? Do you do it with solid "meals" or in between times? It seems like an easy question to answer, but I haven't found anything specific.

Morgan likes daycare and I like working part-time. I'm only working 3 days a week, so it seems like a good balance. It's definitely not easy being a working mom! I don't know how people manage it - especially if they have multiple kids. I guess we all figure it out eventually, but I'm not the most organized, so maybe it's taking me longer to adjust :)

It's good to hear from you guys! Take care, Carrie

Carrie - Akadia is eating solids, but I still use the breastmilk as her main meal. I just substitute cereal and either a fruit or veggie for one of her bottles. She LOVES applesauce, pears, and sweet potatoes. She will tolerate peas and bananas, but hates carrots. I'm holding off for a while before introducing any meats.

I'm actually in the process of cutting back on her solid food for a few days though. The cereal has had the poor little thing so constipated I had to give her a baby suppository just to get her going again. We'll introduce the solids again a little slower this time. I also have some prune/oatmeal baby food I'm going to try.

I don't know how people manage the job/multiple kid thing either! I'm on a similar schedule to you. I work 3 days in the office and 2 from home. Just getting one kid packed and in the car in the morning is quite the feat. I can't imagine having another one, but we planned to start trying again in the summer.

Akadia is going through a bad sleeping phase too. Everyone said once I started solids, she would start sleeping good, but she was actually sleeping good before I started the solids. Now she wakes up several times a night crying. I'm sure it's related to teething though and the aforementioned constipation. Poor kid was a disaster this weekend.

Winter - Lainie is SOOOOO beautiful! Congratulations!!! Don't lose heart with the pumping. It took me months to get a good supply built up. I always drank a ton of water (a full glass before pumping and a full glass after pumping), Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle are two supplements that REALLY work. I had to stop taking the Fenugreek because I kept getting engorged after taking it. Mother's Milk is great too. I lived on all of that while building up my supply.

Last edited:
Elizabeth is here!

Hi ladies,
I've transitioned from "mommy to be" to "mommy." Elizabeth Grace arrived via a LONG labor and c-section (head was turned sideways) on January 18, a healthy 6 lb 15 oz. We've been home from the hospital for a week as of Saturday.

I have been struggling with adjusting to lack of sleep, learning how to breast feed, dealing with (I guess) the typical "new mommy" issues. Elizabeth will have really good nights (like Saturday) where she eats every couple of hours and then goes to sleep, and then other nights like last night where she just cries inconsolably and gets very upset. We only got about 4 hours of sleep last night and she cried intensely from about 11:30 PM to 3:00 AM. It was scary for me, my husband, and my mom - she was so upset, and I don't think we'd seen her that upset before.

I'm having trouble getting her to latch onto me consistently so I use a Medela nipple shield and that seems to help. About a week after she was born my milk came in, and over the weekend if I didn't feed or pump every few hours my breasts would start to feel really full. She ate a lot yesterday and I pumped, and today they feel sort of "empty." Is that normal? She only fed for a few minutes at a time today until 7:00 PM tonight and then she ate more.

Elizabeth goes in for her 2-week checkup tomorrow and I'm really hoping she's back to her birth weight!

If any of you have advice on breastfeeding and/or consoling crying babies, I would love to hear it! Thank you everyone for the good advice and anecdotes you share w/ this forum - it's a great resource for this new mother!

Congratulations! You know, it's VERY hard in the first few weeks with a new baby. Everything you see in movies and tv is all "smiles and joy". Don't get me wrong, having a newborn is a joyous miracle. However, trying to adjust as a new mommy on little or no sleep is tough. We've all been there, and it WILL get easier!!! My two children both lost a little weight right after they were born, but they gained it back by their check-up day. I also exclusively breastfed. It's very hard in the beginning, but there is a lot of support out there. You can call your pediatricians or OB's office (or even the hospital) and ask for the number of the local le leche league. Their job is to help new moms learn how to breastfeed. Although I found the le leche league lady to be a bit annoying when she visited me in the hospital, she did give me great advice. Sometimes just changing the way you hold your baby, or the way you sit or lay will greatly help.

I never used a breast shield, so I am not familiar with them. I did pump with both of my children, though. I used a Medela electric pump, and I loved it. I still remember sitting in the dining room, trying to pump the day I came home with my first son. I was recovering from a c-section too. My brother and sis-in-law were here to help. I remember having an emotional breakdown in front of my bro-in-law as I sat there pumping. I laugh about it now, but it was bad at the time.

Yes, I remember my breasts feeling empty after pumping. They will fill up soon enough, and your body will eventually adjust to making the correct amount of milk. I think that's so amazing.

I know the lack of sleep, baby screaming phase is not pleasant. It will get better. The one thing I found that worked was using those velcro swaddling blanket wraps. They stay on better than a regular swaddle-wrapped blanket.

Hang in there!
-Jen

When I was breastfeeding Akadia, I used a nipple shield off and on. Sometimes, you just need to use it at the beginning and then you can take it off and keep nursing on that side. I did that and eventually got her to stop using it. Then I quite nursing and moved to pumping - figures! The first few weeks home were the hardest for me. I had several mini-break downs. You are feeling like crap, running on NO sleep, trying to figure out how to make baby happy. It's a happy time, but also a wee bit of a nightmare too. Just keep telling yourself she will only be this tiny for a very short time and enjoy it as much as you can. It will get easier! (and then harder and easier and harder and easier - each phase brings it's own challenges!)

Hi everyone!
Hope everyone is doing well along with their babies!

Samantha just turned 6 months last tuesday and is doing well. At her last appt she was weighing 19.11 lbs. She loves to eat! She will eat anything you put in her mouth like applesauce pears bananas sweet potatoes squash carrots cereal mixed with a fruit water juice. She is a great eater like her mommy! I give her baby food twice a day and her regular bottles in between. She goes through 1 ready to feed can in less than 24 hours and has never spit up. She also doesnt like the binky and has never taken it. That is so weird to me b/c my other daughter I swear was born with it in her mouth.
She doesnt sit up yet either when I try to she falls back or to the side it's so funny to see her topple over. She does rasberries, turns over, grabs her toys and coos some but she is really quiet. She really doesnt laugh yet and smiles some not often though and that was a concern of mine but my dr. told me she seems fine and is reaching all of her other milestones.
However she has gotten sick quite often colds and now has an ear infection. I suspect its from my 5 year old who's in kindergarten and brings home all sorts of germs.
You know its funny that some of you mention this but samantha has also kind of regressed to waking up often in the middle of the night for the last week or so. Maybe its a 6 month thing???

Anyway glad to hear everyone is doing well

I've talked to a lot of people who said their baby started sleeping bad after 6 months. I guess it has to do with teething etc.. It has not been fun! Sorry Samantha has been sick! :( Akadia has had 2 colds so far, but nothing that needed a doctor's visit or meds. We've been lucky in that department. Some babies just aren't as giggly as others. Akadia has been smiling and laughing for a long time, but her cousin who is the same age (7 months) is only just starting to do that. Every baby moves at their own pace. Akadia still doesn't crawl and refuses to be put on her tummy. She doesn't roll over either, but she sits up like a pro. They'll all get there eventually! :)

2 weeks 2 days pp

Hi all- I've mostly been a lurker. But Keegan (4th boy) was born Feb 8th after a long labor and almost going to the hospital for a c-section. Thankfully he was born at the Birth Center like his brothers. I'm looking forward to being able to work out again, but I'm still healing. I gained a lot this pregnancy. I tend to gain 70+ each time, this time was the most I've gain. So I have a long way to go. But trying to just enjoy him for the first 6 weeks before I feel I need to really get back into it again.

8# 9oz, probably another red head, now I'll have 3! Dh and I are not red heads, I'm blonds and he's brown.

Allison
mom of 3 boys, former and soon to be again Cathlete!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.