Cheap Business Attitre

burnmarie

Cathlete
I am looking or a good website (or store) that carries nice but inexpensive clothes for business attire. I have accepted a new position that will require much more appropriate business attire, but while I am losing weight I do not want to buy expensive clothes that I wont fit into in a couple months. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks!

Agree with that suggestion. I now WFH and I've donated a lot of good quality clothing to Goodwill. Many pieces were like new. Just don't have a need for them right now.

Lisa

Thanks for the advice, I have a weird thing about wearing other people's clothing. I would be looking for new clothing.

Kohl's. If you have a credit card, they send discounts very frequently. If you need suits, they probably aren't a good option (although they do sell some separates). I get most of my dress pants & sweaters there. I buy them when they are on sale or clearance and I have a 15% or more discount.

2nd hand stores has gotten me through my journey while working at Boeing for many years.

Good luck,

Janie

I don't know where you are, but I know that Ross Stores has great deals on dresses and dress suits appropriate for business.

Do you mind sharing your price range & specifically what you're looking for? Like, would you pay $20 for a top, $50, or $8? Do you need full on suits or just business-casual...black slacks w/ dressy yet work appropriate tops? Do you need shoes?

Here are my recs, in order, based on needing one-level below a full-out suit. Prices range $10-$50 per item (top, bottom, shoes, blazer/jacket) in the greater Seattle area.

1) Marshalls & Target (their Merona brand wedges are SO COMFORTABLE)
2) TJMaxx
3) Ross
4) Kohls

If you want to spend a little more $$ but not too much more, sign up for email coupons from The LOFT, Ann Taylor, Express, Banana Republic. Express & The Loft/Ann Taylor will be lower-priced and then Banana Republic is a little higher priced. I don't care how old you are - these places have quality, solid basics that can be had for usually 25-40% off if you sign up for sale coupons. Example = Express pants usually $70-$100 per pair. Coupons are often 25-35% or BOGO 1/2 off. Many women in their late 30s & beyond shun Express & The LOFT b/c they feel the stores target women in the 18-35 range - this is true. But they also sell VERY WELL FITTED BASICS. Black pants are black pants. They sell a few different cuts, rises, and lengths too.

Good luck w/ your shopping. FWIW - I don't wear other people's old clothes either. Gives me the heebie jeebies. Also, I have tried Kohls and shoped juniors, misses, and women's - I found all of their departments had ill-fitting clothes that were "cut" poorly. Same for JCPenny. A shame b/c JCPenny has The CUTEST clothes for Misses & Womens, I think! But they just don't fit well on me.

If JCPenny fits you though, they have VERY good prices & clothes that look like they came from Express, Loft, Ann Taylor.

I only buy my dress pants from Loft and Ann Taylor. They have a variety of cuts and the curvy cuts works perfectly for me! Agree on their sales. I've gotten great bargains from both stores if I'm patient enough to wait. They also have Factory stores at some outlets. BTW, I'm 46 and love their styles. I don't think they are too young for me. I think of them as stylishly, classic :cool:

Lisa

I have an Ann Taylor Loft outlet by my house I will check out. Never been in there wasnt sure what it was. Im a fashion idiot everything I own has a Nike check on it lol

Experts on workplace attire (I don't count myself among them) recommend going for quality, not quantity (i.e., investing in a few classic good quality pieces that are versatile rather than a lot of inexpensive ones that won't hold up or look as good). If you lose weight, take the garments to a tailor and have them altered (a good problem to have in my book). Good luck.

Ebay is also a good place too, especially if you know your size in certain brands. You can get a lot of nice new with tags stuff on there. I haven't been clothes shopping in forever, but when I do, I'm always out for a bargain. When I was working for my husband's nephew several years ago, I needed nice office appropriate pieces that I could mix and match and I happened to go into Dillard's during their clearance and I found a ton of stuff marked down that I used to build a basic wardrobe. Also, the Editor pants from Express are nice too. I got those on promotion too. Hope this helps!

Amanda

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.