Chain restaurants you like (or don't)...

Dela

Cathlete
So I am just not a fan of what I call the original batch of big chain restaurants (Applebee's (my least fav), Chilis, Fridays, Houlihans, Bennigans), and generally refuse to eat at these, I hate paying for meals that I don't like that much AND have way more calories than they are worth eating. But a lot of the newer (not necessarily that new anymore) have much better menus and quality of food.

I am currently loving Bone Fish Grill, this is a place that actually I enjoy more with each visit. My first visit was take it or leave it, the staff was great, but the fish I chose was just OK, but have since been back about 4 times, and each time I find I really enjoy the food. Love the mussels here.

Macaroni Grill, especially recently they have added some very fresh and "enlightened" options, like their Spinach and Scallops salad and the "Spedini" skewers of shrimp, chicken, lamb, beef, etc, and the fresh tomato pasta for a very tasty but lower calorie pasta dish. They even added a "small plate" dessert when you just want a couple bites of something. Oh and again, not so enlightened, but they have this pint glass of yummy sangria for $6, it's great.

Cheesecake Factory, ridiculous calorie counts aside, they have some really yummy stuff.

And I love some of the steak houses, not sure they consider themselves "chains", but places like Ruth's Chris and Morton's are always a good meal.

Applebees just came to our city in Canada and it was all the rave because it was new. I went there and had a burger that clocking in at 1200 calories just for the burger!! I really enjoyed the burger but all the toppings were unnecessary.

I really enjoy Mongolie Grill, not sure if it's in the states. It's buffett style were you get to pick out all your fresh toppings, meat, and sauce and then they fry it up for you. It's served with white rice and hot & sour soup.

I like to try to eat from locally owned places. In Regina there are a ton of Greek Steak Houses which are amazing and the setting is quiet and you can actually carry on a conversation. Unlike, Boston Pizza or the Keg. I get so frusterated with the Keg because my bill would be close to dinning in a fine Restaurant and I would still have my sanity and enjoy my meal in peace and quiet. I think these places or so loud because they are a family atmosphere?

Mongolie Grill sounds pretty cool, we don't have that here that I know of. I have seen the concept at some buffets, the Harrahs AC buffet had a small version of that as part of their buffet.

There is a Bone Fish Grill up by us that I've always wanted to try!

The only chain I can say I honestly like is Carraba's; it's an Italian restaurant and unfortunately there are none by me :( We usually will go to one when we are down south. I can stand Outback once in a blue; their seared tuna app is awesome!

Overall, I would much rather go to a mom & pop place than a chain. Other than the calories and the poor quality, everything is loaded with salt. Plus, I always find that dishes are never as hot as they should be. Kinda like they threw it in a microwave after it was sitting around for awhile :eek:

Not too many chains are my fave!

Chilis and Applebee's are consistently bad around here. Anyone else have an O'Charley's? I am surprised that place is still in business. So bad.

If I am going to a chain restaurant for everyday dining, I would probably choose Longhorn's or Outback, just because they are closest to me. I have a rule of thumb about dining out... if the napkins are paper, the food is probably going to be the same quality as the napkins. An even better step up is a place that has the option of black cloth napkins if you are wearing black.

One chain that I have found to be good everywhere... from Los Angeles to Atlanta ... is "Ruth's Chris Steakhouse". Another fave (which is just a local chain) is "Ray's". There are several in the Atlanta area -- Ray's on the River, Ray's Killer Creek and Ray's in the City. All very good!

Applebees immediately comes to mind as one I don't like. I have had consistent bad service at their restarants. It is a shame because they were (might still be) a lot of Weight Watcher type menu items.

Meliffy, I used to like Outback until they stopped making my favorite dish ) Toowoomba Pasta.

Overall, I like Olive Garden, Texas LongHorne and Red Lobster.

We have Genghis Grill here (like Mongolian BBQ) and love it! Outback we like. And P.F. Chang's.

(With longing sigh)...Olive Garden. Pasta fagioli soup...130 calories per serving. I'm going today!

:)Jonezie

I forgot about Red Lobster! I would say I loathe Red Lobster. I don't know how they get away calling what they serve as seafood! My family is from the east coast and my Grandpa was a lobster fisherman, so we know how a lobster should taste like and what an actual scallop looks like. Everytime we go there I leave with the same action of hitting my palm to my forehead, dumb, dumb, dumb, I am always dispointed and never satisfied. I learned my lesson last time when the fish I ordered was forgotten and when it did come out it tasted like it was reheated in the microwave, yuck!

Love, love, love PF Changs and Cheesecake Factory :p We do not do any seafood (other than shrimp) at a restaurant since my DH is a charter/commercial fisherman. My weakness in a restaurant is anything Mexican and too bad we don't have any (that are good) here or that might be a good thing :p

P.F Changs,Olive Garden and Bob Evans are probably my favorite chains...we have alot of local places here that are really good but are not known.

Oh, we have a great Mongolian Grill in the Cleveland area, it is the bomb!

Outback, PF Chang's and Texas Roadhouse are the faves that come to my mind!

I am sure the healthiest of the three is Outback but man oh man are the other two yummy! :D

Went to Ruth Chris once in NYC (none local to us) and it was excellent but far too pricey for us to spend on an "everyday meal". That was a special treat.

I am dying to try The Melting Pot...

I try to avoid chain restaurants - they're just generally so gross. Olive Garden - yuck. Although the top of the inedible "food" list is positively Red Lobster. Just shameful - everything that that restaurant represents. Many, many years ago my grandmother insisted on going there - I took the stuff home in a doggie bag and my two cats wouldn't even it! I've heard Outback is okay, but when I do go out, we generally go to local restaurants. Thank goodness, in NY you can easily avoid chains - they're primarily concentrated in the tourist heavy areas, like Times Square.

We have Genghis Grill here (like Mongolian BBQ) and love it! Outback we like. And P.F. Chang's.

I completely forgot about PF Changs, although they did remove the best thing on their menu, I do like that place a lot too. They had these Shanghai street dumplings that were really good.

And I also forgot Red Lobster, that is on my refuse to go list. Outback is a middle ground for me, if the options are truly limited, I'll take Outback over others, but would rather not.

I have been really disappointed in every one we went to, and we rarely go out, and not to chains when we do. The food was not good, not fresh, not appealing, and the service, just adequate. Have they forgotten how to make good food?

The only one I would try is Isaac's, haven't been there for a long time, it used to be good where I lived before.

Linda

I am dying to try The Melting Pot...

OH...MY...GOSH!! Melting Pot is SO awesome!!! We went for my mom's bday one year and got the apps/dinner/dessert combo; that was way too much food. You could easily fill up on apps/dessert without the dinner (although it was cool to cook your own meat; they bring it out raw and everything).

FYI, not sure if it's all locations but they have ladies' night Monday nights. You get 2 app fondue and 2 dessert fondue, plus an "adult" beverage each for $30.

OH...MY...GOSH!! Melting Pot is SO awesome!!! We went for my mom's bday one year and got the apps/dinner/dessert combo; that was way too much food. You could easily fill up on apps/dessert without the dinner (although it was cool to cook your own meat; they bring it out raw and everything).

FYI, not sure if it's all locations but they have ladies' night Monday nights. You get 2 app fondue and 2 dessert fondue, plus an "adult" beverage each for $30.

Oooh, thanks so much for the feedback! I don't think my DH is so hot on the idea so I'll have to drag my BGF there some day and ladies night sounds perfect if they offer it by me! Can't wait! Reading this post made me hungry! LOL

Meliffy, I used to like Outback until they stopped making my favorite dish ) Toowoomba Pasta.

Did you know they will still make this for you even if it's not on the menu?

Most restaurants will do this. If something has been on the menu and they've removed it, just ask. They can create if for you as long as they still have the ingredients... and most times they do!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.