Cathletes Gettin' To Goal~Sept 13-19

Rhondalyn,
I started to do Imax3's step only premix today, but knew right after the warmup that my brain was definitely not engaged. And since I don't know this workout well I was afraid I was going to hurt myself. So I pulled out the treadmill and planned to walk during a TV show. I surprised myself by running for 30 minutes of the program, so I ended up with a decent workout.

Nancy! I'm so glad you knew better than to continue. That's how I flew off my step! I was doing Imax 2 and my mind was elsewhere... I wish I had had the sense you have!! ;)

Good morning! I just finished my workout here in my hotel room. I did CLX Fat Burn Challenge and I've Got Abs. The CLX cardio workouts are great to take on the road with you, all you really need is the thigh toner and resistance band.:) My DH is at a breakfast meeting. I need to make this quick because he expects me to be ready when he gets back :eek:

Lisa: I'm happy to hear that your shot is helping already. There's nothing wrong with low-impact. That's great that you're listening to your body. I know what you mean about tracking your food. I just installed a new app on my iphone that tracks calories and exercise. I love it! It makes it alot easier to keep track since I always have my phone with me. It has an extensive database of food on there. So far I've been able to find everything. :)

Nancy: I love Scottsdale for those liitle weekend aways! Here's where we're staying at: www.icmontelucia.com We've stayed here several times now. It's a fabulous resort and you can't beat the prices right now. About my hair~ I cut it off a few days ago. I posted the pics on my facebook page. Here's the link: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=7857&id=100000018510001&l=007b36bfc0
Are you on facebook? I'd like to add you as a friend if you are :)

Rondalynn: Thanks for the compliments.:) You're too sweet. I'd say now is the perfect time to try someone new if that's what you've been wanting to do.

Melissa: Sounds like you've got alot going on right now. I hope everything works out and you get the house you want. :)

The photographer who took my son's senior pictures posted them in an album on Facebook. Here's a link to his pics (if you're interested :p) www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=7938&id=100000018510001&l=92f50d2dc8

I'll miss his football game tonight. My DH and I are going to a Casting Crowns concert tonight. Maybe you could go Nancy? They're playing close to you. (Just kidding) The school they're playing tonight is Empire (it's in Vail) My mom is going to go tonight. I get nervous about him playing and there not being anyone there in case he gets hurt. (I know that's silly) I guess it's just the overprotective mother in me.:rolleyes:

Well, I better hurry and get in the shower. My DH will be walking in the door any minute.:eek:

Well, No weight loss for me this week, but I did finally update my ticker for last weeks pound...As ususal, its frustrating, but I can always look back at my week and figure out why...perhaps the Dorritos this week, but they are gone and I won't be buying anymore!
I just watched Biggest Loser and I agree, Lisa...what's with Jillian's language? I have watched every season and don't remember that...
I spent the day in an Urgent Care with a co-worker RN who was stuck with a dirty needle that contained some bad stuff. It really made me think about how fast things can happen and encouraged me to focus on what's important...so today I decided that hangin' with my girls was more important than a workout. It actually felt pretty good! Have a good weekend everyone!

Hi Everyone!

Hard to keep up with everyone!
I think my week has gone “okay” as far as keeping within my points.
It is sooo hard to do because I am constantly hungry! I’d like to keep below 21 points, but, have been hitting 23 points most day, but, yesterday we had a few minutes to kill before our trip to the movies, so I got coconut pudding(haupia) at a Hawaiian place, that really hit the spot. I don’t know how “fatty” it was, but, I think it wasn’t the most healthful thing! Then afterwards, my husband was hungry, and I had a few bites of his strawberry gelato! I just hate to keep myself in a shell and not enjoy the goodies around! Anyway stuff like that always happens, and all the little things add up.

Fortunately for me I have been able to exercise everyday this week, but, did take one rest day. I alternate between weights and cardio; today on tap is Hi/Lo Knockout (Amy). I’ve been finding with Cathe’s cardio lately, my mind wanders and I’m doing the cardio without any concentration and don’t get as good of a workout, because I can do them without paying too much attention. So, I can hardly wait for her new workouts (STS Cardio) to come out. It’s funny, I had this one VHS tape of Kathy Smith’s for years, and that’s all I did – talk about boring!!! Now I need lots of variety and change to keep it interesting. Anyway, and I think I have mentioned this before, is that with Amy, I get a mental and physical workout. I really have to concentrate on the moves to keep from getting my feet tangled up, or from getting behind he fast pace. It took some getting use to, but, I find her cuing just fine, but, I cannot let my attention ease up – my concentration has to be totally focused on her and my mind cannot wander! J Thus, I am more “worn out” after her workouts! I am finding that if I want an easier workout for the day, then I’ll pick Cathe’s(although I do get really tired!).

So…., Tuesday I went to the orthopedic doctor to have him check out my knees. They have been hurting for 20+ years, but, have got worse over the years, at the gym at work that I went to for 3 weeks did not help. I did bootcamp there, or brought a DVD to step to. The gym floors have NO give, and seem to be built directly over concrete, so my knees ached(this was in December), and I also got a fluid build up behind my knee—called a Baker’s cyst. Anyway, I had x-rays. I have slight arthritis in my knees(not surprising, because my sister, 2 years younger has it, too—she was a formal gymnast, runner, etc), have a weak inner quad muscle (muscle is called Vastus Medialis Oblic), patella or kneecap doesn’t sit centered, and my meniscus—cartilege area above tibia or shin bone—is a little worn. All this doesn’t help my knee pain! I went to the Physical Therapist yesterday, who did a complete evaluation, and gave me a three of exercises(Extremely easy). My right leg is longer, and my left ham is 16 degrees less flexible than my right. She said I didn’t seem very flexible, but, I have never been! She said I cannot do squats with weight yet, so my STS October start date won’t be happening ‘til my VMO’s get stronger, I guess!
I’ll give these exercises a chance because I am only getting older and my knees should be taken care of!

On the home front, I’ve got my daughter’s room painted, and am going to rearrange her furniture and make a Goodwill pile of clothes too small and junk/toys/books she won’t use anymore. Next I’m planning my workout room. DH bought a flatscreen TV, I’m going to IKEA today to get a TV stand/console, and will be starting to prep the room for painting next week. I am sure I won’t get it done because of too many other things going on next week: 3 PT appointments, Colonoscopy and prep – yuck!!!, and moving DS to Eugene—Go Ducks!! Then going back to work the following Monday after 3+ months off…………

Oh, one more thing. Going on Race for the Cure Walk tomorrow. Here is a photo of me with some of my team members(it's at the end of this post). We raised about $3500!

Okay I will stop blabbing now, because you are bored, I’m sure!! J

Time for Personals:

Lisa: It is fun to keep up with you on FB! Too bad you haven’t found those choc almonds. I’ll remember to take a phone picture next time I go and post it for you.
Are ya narrowing down your receptionist choices? Hope so. Also hope your cortisone injection is working good this time. You are lucky to be able to isolate the site of the pain.

Rhondalynn: Sounds like you are easing out of your cold. Good! I’m thinking if you stick with Amy you might like it. On the Open Discussion, lots of people don’t like her cuing, so you are definitely in good company. I myself just think her workouts are tough to learn, but, with lots of concentration and time are do-able. Even if I know the routines well, they feel pretty new and keep me alert, which I like!

Heather: Wish I could manage my time like you and do all that you do and keep track of stuff. It would be fun to add in Zumba as it would make me feel happy, too. It’s been raining a lot in Portland, too, but, the weather is changing to 92 degrees tomorrow!

Jacc: Hope you have a nice weekend out of town! That’s good you got a workout in your room, too. I haven’t got a chance to look at your son’s pics on FB, but, plan to. That was a good decision to get a haircut! It sure turned out good. I got one yesterday, too, and it is the same style as I had last time. She just trimmed it up and it cost me $30 for just a trim. I had just washed it and she didn’t have to do that, and it only took 15 minutes. Well, that is probably a good price, but, for her doing not much I felt it was too expensive! LOL I’m a cheapie!

Lacey: Don’t worry about no weight loss. That is good to be status quo, as body is getting ready to lose weight, right? Mine is probably going to go UP next time I weigh myself. Maybe I should weigh myself right after I do my colonoscopy prep?
Then I will lose 4-5 pounds!! Haha. That’s what those colon cleanses do for ya! That is nice you have put into perspective what is important in life, as your girls will appreciate you a lot right now!

Melissa: Glad you are able to keep the workouts with all that is going on with the move activities and being back to school. Do you ever wonder when you will be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel? Sounds like you are organized and getting things accomplished. Good for you!

Nancy: What’s a Torch Run meeting? How do you organize your DVD’s I’d like to find a way to organize mine, and I know you must have a good system with all the Cathe ones you have, plus the others. Do you have a special shelf or drawer? Are they arranged alphabetically? Do you share your DVD’s or trade with friends?

Ivory: Welcome to our checkin. As far as WW goes. I’m suppose to have 18 points with 5 additional points per day that I can add on. Most of the time I use those up and even go over. When I go over, I gain. I subtract my activity points to get my total points for the day. So, I probably eat 27 to 31 points and subtract 3 to 5 points for exercising. I loosely do the points with my estimations, but, I find tracking helps me more to lose, than if I don’t track. J

Have a nice weekend everyone!

Attachments

• thurs_komen.jpg
    thurs_komen.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 4
Saturday

Lisa, how are you feeling? I just hate it that you hurt yourself while working out and are still struggling to overcome it. That just doesn't seem right! And how was the movie and Pioneer Days --read about them on FB :) Yeah, TBL is going to be a sob-fest this year, for sure. I hope it's not overdone editing wise like it was last season. I really, really got tired of all of the crying. And I totally agree about the language during the workouts. I'm no saint and have been known to let loose with a few expletives but I really don't need to have it thrown in my face like that.

Jacque, that hotel looks fantastic! I hope you guys had a good time. And what a way to celebrate your new hair ;-). It really, really looks good. Are you liking it? Your son's pictures look great. How did he do in the football game? You have quite a spread between your kids, don't you? That must make for quite a variety in your days.

Lacy, what a scary thing that happened to your co-worker. I hope she (he?) will be alright. Better luck this week with your weight loss. You seem to alternate weeks, right?

Linda, being hungry all the time really makes it hard to stick to any plan. I can see why you would be struggling. Have you considered doing the former Core plan? I guess now it's called Filling Foods or something like that. From what I understand it's more protein based -- or can be -- and I know in my case protein is what keeps me satisfied. I love, love, love carbs, but in the end they just don't keep me from being hungry and I end up overeating anyway. I like your concept of keeping workouts new so that you have to concentrate on them. That's a really great observation and one I'll need to keep in mind. Best of luck with your knees and PT, getting the painting done, and starting up with work again. That's got to be a big adjustment after being off for so long. Oh, and about the Torch Run, I thought I had explained that at one point. I have been involved in the Arizona Law Enforcement Torch Run For Special Olympics since 1987 and am one of the original members of our state Council. We hold meetings monthly in Phoenix, which is about a two-hour drive from here. The Law Enforcement Torch Run is an international grassroots fundraiser that collectively is the single largest fundraiser for Special Olympics. Don't get me started because I could talk about it for days! (www.arizonatorchrun.com and http://www.specialolympics.org/letr.aspx). I have a wall unit in my workout room that has shelves on the ends for my DVDs. I have all of my Cathe ones as the most accessible, and I put them in the order they are listed from oldest to newest in the catalog that SNM put out right after 4DS. I pretty much put all of my different systems (TheFIRM, Amy, etc.) in order from oldest to newest. And no, I don't share or trade DVDs. It's funny, but I have a hard time getting rid of them even if I don't ever use them. The only ones I have sold are the Turbo Jams and the FitPrimes and it felt really strange parting with them. I'm such a packrat that way!

Workout Room ~ Maybe!

I really don't know whether I did this right, but I may have uploaded/attached a photo of one wall of my workout room. Keep in mind this was taken the day I set it up. The shelves are now practically full (with Cathe dominating). I have a bunch more risers, and the glass-front cabinets on the bottom are filled also with ankle/wrist weights, yoga blocks, furniture sliders for STS, and more. If this works, I'll upload another photo from just a few days ago that shows the difference and also how I have my weight bars hanging on hooks now.

ETA: It worked! I'll add a few more now...

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.