Cathelete's Cookie (Recipe) Exchange

I made these last year, they were VERY good!!

Andes Crème de Menthe Chunk Cookies
Servings: 4 Dozen
Preheat oven to 350

• 1/2 cup salted butter, softened
• 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
• 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 2 eggs
• 1 package (10 oz) Andes® Creme de Menthe Baking Chips or Andes® After Dinner Mints, coarsely chopped
• 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour

Blend butter, sugars, baking soda, baking powder, vanilla and eggs until mixed.
Stir in baking chips or chopped candy and then flour.
Chill at least one hour in refrigerator.

Measure out approximately 1 ounce of dough.
Raise oven rack one level above middle and baking on non-stick cookie sheets.
Bake at 350-degrees for approximately 8-10 minutes.
Cool on pans for two minutes before removing.

These are actually "healthy" and are VERY yummy!

Hershey Bar Haystacks

(1 Stack - 71 calories, 4g fat, 12 carbs, 5g fiber, 2g protein -)

1 Cup Fiber One Cereal
1 (1.5 oz.) Hershey's Milk Chocolate Bar
1 Tbsp. reduced fat peanut butter, smooth or chunky

Directions:
Melt bar and peanut butter in microwave until smooth, at 30-second intervals. Be careful not to burn or overcook. Stir chocolate and peanut butter mixture. Add cereal and gently toss till coated. Drop onto wax paper, making 6 stacks. Refrigerate until chocolate hardens (about 30 minutes). Serves 6.

Chris - glad you got this started!

Here is one of my favs. It's sort of a take on the White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookie. I am determined to figure out how to make this one a bit healthier. But here's the recipe:

Paula Dean's White Chocolate Cherry Chunkies (I use cranberries instead)

Ingredients

* 1 stick butter, softened
* 1 cup packed brown sugar
* 1 cup granulated sugar
* 2 large eggs
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 3 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 2 tablespoons milk
* 1 cup chopped macadamia nuts
* 1/2 cup candied cherries (or dried cranberries)
* 1 1/2 cups white chocolate chunks

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

In a medium bowl, with electric mixer, cream butter and sugars together until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until just combined. Set aside.

Sift together flour, soda, and salt. Add milk to the butter mixture and then add the flour mixture. Mix until just combined. Batter should be stiff.

In another bowl, combine nuts, cherries, and white chocolate. Then add to batter, stirring only to blend. Drop by heaping tablespoons onto a greased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart. Bake for approximately 11 to 13 minutes. Cool on wire rack.

Another fav I found off off allrecipes.com.

Yummy Peanut Butter Cookies

(note: I add about 2/3 a bag of chocolate and peanut butter swirled chips)

Ingredients
* 1 cup margarine
* 1 cup peanut butter
* 1 cup white sugar
* 1 cup brown sugar
* 2 eggs
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
* 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease two cookie sheets.

2. In a large bowl, cream together the margarine, peanut butter, white sugar and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla and almond extracts. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; stir into the peanut butter mixture. Roll dough into 1 inch balls and place them 2 inches apart onto the prepared cookie sheets. Use a wet fork dipped in sugar to make the crisscrosses on the top.

3. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Grab a glass of milk and enjoy!

This is the year-round fave in our house!

Snickerdoodles

½ C margarine or butter, softened
1 ½ C flour
1 C granulated sugar
1 egg
½ t vanilla
¼ t baking soda
¼ t cream of tartar
2 T granulated sugar
1 t ground cinnamon

• Preheat oven to 350 F.
  • In a large mixing bowl, beat margarine or butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
  • Add about half the flour, the 1 C sugar, the egg, vanilla, baking soda, and cream of tartar. Beat until thoroughly combined.
  • Beat in remaining flour.
  • Cover and chill for at least 1 hour.
  • Shape dough into 1 inch balls.
  • Combine the 2 T sugar and the cinnamon. Roll balls in sugar-cinnamon mixture.
  • Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
  • Bake for 10 to 11 minutes or until edges are golden. Cool cookies on a wire rack.

This recipe makes about 36 cookies, and can easily be doubled.

This isn't a cookie recipe either but they are 1 of my 6 batches of Christmas goodies I make every year. They're also a favorite at my office parties and SO easy to make (I am a super-gavone so I do about 1 3/4 cups PB lol):

Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars
Ingredients:
1 cup butter or margarine, melted
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 cup peanut butter
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
4 tablespoons peanut butter

Directions
In a medium bowl, mix together the butter or margarine, graham cracker crumbs, confectioners' sugar, and 1 cup peanut butter until well blended. Press evenly into the bottom of an ungreased 9x13 inch pan.
In a metal bowl over simmering water, or in the microwave, melt the chocolate chips with the peanut butter, stirring occasionally until smooth. Spread over the prepared crust. Refrigerate for at least one hour before cutting into squares.

Sugar and Spice cookies

This recipe comes from my very first cookbook, The Cookie Book by Eva Moore, which I got in 2nd grade. The recipe only makes 18 cookies because it is a child's recipe, but doubles or triples very nicely. These are wonderful winter cookies and they disappear immediately. Everyone loves them.

1/2 cup butter or other soft shortening
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
2 tablespoons molasses (light or dark)
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ginger
1 cup confectioner's sugar

Preheat the oven to 375F.
Grease a cookie sheet or use parchment paper.

Cream together sugar and shortening. Add the egg and beat. Add the molasses and mix until it is well incorporated. Set bowl aside.
In another bowl sift together flour, baking soda, salt and spices. Mix with molasses mixture until all the flour is mixed in.
Drop cookies by teaspoons onto a cookie sheet. These cookies spread so leave room.
Bake for 10 minutes or so -- they should be flat and crinkled and a little firm.
Let the cookies cool for a few minutes on a wire rack.
Put the confectioner's sugar in a bowl. Take a warm cookie and put it on the sugar. Flip it around and cover the other side.

Guaranteed yum. And very good for pot lucks and exchanges because they aren't chocolate so people always eat them when they tire of all the chocolate. (and yes, sometimes people do want to eat flavors other than chocolate).

Tobermory

These aren't cookies but they are so good and easy to make.

Graham Cracker Pralines
24 whole graham crackers
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
1 cup packed light-brown sugar
1 cup finely chopped pecans

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line jelly-roll pan with crackers.

In saucepan bring butter and sugar to boiling, boil exactly 1 minute. Add nuts. Pour evenly over crackers. Spread carefully with wooden spoon to cover all pieces.

Bake in 350 degree oven 10 minutes. Remove to rack to cool. When cool, break apart into irregular pieces.

Tri color cookies

Anyone have a good recipe? I have looked them up, but I want a recipe that someone knows is good!

tobermory: I have that same book! I got mine in 3rd grade (um, 35 years ago!!!) and I will never get rid of it. It is so much fun. I use the peanut butter cookie recipe out of there all time, it is the best PB cookie recipe I have come across. DH and I always laugh at the instructions. What fun!! I have never tried the sugar and spice recipe, but now I will have too!

A friend gave me this recipe years ago, i made them once (and they were SOOOOO good) and then lost the recipe. I just found it! And searched it out online for the same. They are sooo good!

MOLASSES CREAMS
48 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min./batch

Ingredients
1-1/2 cups butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup light molasses
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

FROSTING:
1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
3 tablespoons butter, softened
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 to 2 tablespoons milk

Directions
In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and molasses. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
Roll into walnut-sized balls. Place on ungreased baking sheets (do not flatten). Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until done (centers will be slightly soft).
In a small bowl, beat frosting ingredients until creamy. Frost cookies while warm. Yield: about 8 dozen.

Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 154 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 122 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.

I've also made these in the past. YUM!

Wookie Cookies

yield: Makes about 3 dozen cookies

Ingredients

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preparation:

Preheat the oven to 375°F.

Put the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a mixing bowl. Stir with the wooden spoon until well mixed. Set aside.

Put the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar in another mixing bowl. Using the electric mixer set on high speed, beat together until well blended and creamy, about 3 minutes. (You can do this with a wooden spoon, but it will take longer.) Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture and stir with the wooden spoon until blended. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Scoop up a rounded tablespoonful of the dough and drop onto a baking sheet. Repeat until you have used up all the dough. Be sure to leave about 1 inch between the cookies because they spread as they bake.

Using pot holders, put the baking sheets in the oven. Bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes.

Again, using pot holders, remove the baking sheets from the oven. Lift the cookies from the baking sheets with a spatula, and place on cooling racks. Let cool completely.

Anyone have a good recipe? I have looked them up, but I want a recipe that someone knows is good!

ooooooooooooh me too me too!!! These are my all-time favorites!!! But I hear they are a pain in the butt to make. Still, I will sacrifice for these little bites of heaven :)

Heather, if they're what I think they are Jackie means the rainbow cookies.

200px-RainbowCookies.jpg

These are really good, I usually make a 1/2 batch since the recipe makes a huge amount. No flour in these cookies.

Monster Cookies

2 sticks margarine (or 1 Crisco butter stick)
3-1/2 cups peanut butter (28 oz. jar)
1 box light brown sugar
2 c. white sugar
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. vanilla
6 eggs
16 oz. chocolate chips
5 c. oatmeal (One-Minute Quick Oats)
4 c. Rice Krispies

Preheat oven to 350º.

In a HUGE mixing bowl cream margarine, peanut butter, sugars, baking powder, salt, vanilla and eggs. Add chocolate chips, rice krispies and oatmeal. Drop onto ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten cookies a little with you fingers. Bake 10-11 minutes or until golden brown.

I made these for the first time this year. They are delicious, a nice refreshing bite on the cookie platter. The orange zest gives them a nice zing. The coconut is not dominant at all. My mom hates coconut, but really liked these.

COCONUT CRANBERRY CHEWS
from Challenge Butter

About 1½ cups (¾ lb.) butter, at room temperature
2 cups sugar
1 Tablespoon grated orange peel
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 large egg
3¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1½ cups dried cranberries
1½ cups sweetened flaked dried coconut
Directions
In a large bowl, with a mixer on medium speed, beat 1½ cups butter, sugar, orange peel, and vanilla until smooth. Beat in egg, until well blended.
In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to butter mixture, stir to mix, then beat on low speed until dough comes together, about 5 minutes (see notes). Mix in cranberries and coconut.
Shape dough into 1-inch balls and place about 2 inches apart on buttered 12" x 15" baking sheets.
Bake in a 350°F regular or convection oven until cookie edges just begin to brown, 11 to 15 minutes (shorter baking time will yield a chewier cookie; longer baking time will yield a crispier cookie). If baking two sheets at once in one oven, switch their positions halfway through baking. Let cookies cool on sheets for 5 minutes, then use a wide spatula to transfer to racks to cool completely.

Yield: About 6 dozen cookies

PREP AND COOK TIME: About 1
NOTES: The mixture may look dry until it comes together as a dough. If its too crumbly to form into balls, the dough need to be mixed longer; it should be a smooth homogeneous mass.

Per cookie: 92 cal., 45% (41 cal.) from fat; 0.7 g protein; 4.5 g fat (2.8 g sat); 12 g carbo (0.4 g fiber); 58 mg sodium; 13 mg chol.

These are AWESOME! We've been making these for the past 4 years, and they are always requested. I only make them at Christmas, but DH and my stepdaughter asked that they be a regular cookie in the house LOL

If you make these as written, the cookies are H-U-G-E. I make them much smaller, and adjust the baking time (for me, 11 minutes works). These are rich and fudgy.

From the magazine:
"The recipe for Espresso and Chocolate Chip Cookies, passed down from pastry chef to pastry chef over the years, finally found its way to Rhonda Ruckman, owner of Doughmonkey in Dallas. She tweaked the recipe, making the cookie extra rich and indulgent. 'It's a little piece of naughtiness,' Rhonda says."

Enjoy!

ESPRESSO AND CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
BHG Christmas Cookies 2006

8 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped (I've subbed semisweet also)
5 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup butter
1-3/4 cup sugar
4 eggs
2 TBSP finely ground espresso beans (I've used instant coffee granules too)
1/3 cup sifted cake flour or all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

In a medium saucepan, combine bittersweet chocolate, unsweetened chocolate, and butter. Heat and stir over low heat until mixture is melted and smooth. Remove from heat. Cool for 10 minutes.

In a large bowl, combine sugar, eggs, and ground espresso beans; beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 2 to 3 minutess or until well mixed and color lightens slightly. Add cooled melted chocolate, beating until combined. In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to chocolate mixture; beat until combined. Stir in chocolate pieces. (The dough will look like brownie batter.)

Cover surface of dough with waxed paper. Let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes (dough thickens as it stands).

Preheat oven to 350. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper or foil. Using a 3-oz scoop (or use 3 TBSP of dough per cookie), scoop dough in mounds 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets.

Bake in preheated oven about 13 minutes or just until tops are set and the cracks on top do not appear moist. Let cookies stand on cookie sheet on a wire rack for 1 minute. Transfer cookies to wire rack; cool. Makes about 24.

To store: Layer cookies between waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature up to 3 days or freeze up to 3 months.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.