Cathe! I need your help with cuing!

jsutera

Cathlete
Hi hi Cathe!! I am hoping you can help me (and my sister). As you know, we're both training to become Group Kick certified instructors and are into the home stretch before we launch the class at our gym. The choreography is there, the stamina is there and the technique is almost there (this is a very technical class, I must say!). The problem I'm facing is projecting my voice! It's awful and I'm getting very frustrated. :eek:

I was in practice the other day and my fitness director said she couldn't hear me and I was so bummed - I seriously felt that I was yelling into that mic. She said I need to use my diaphragm more but I have no idea how to do that and am starting to worry about, I just want to rock this!! (esp with a "sneak peek" class planned for this very weekend, eek!)

So that's my big dilemma...how do I project my voice so the class can hear me, can get into the workout and can get amped up by my words of wisdom, hehe. ;) I'm trying my best to channel my inner Cathlete here, so any tips or advice you have, I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to hear it!

THANK YOU!!! (hugs!)

Help with Cueing - response

Hello,
I hope you don't mind if I respond. I have been teaching group fitness for almost 20 years and teach every format except for yoga.

I have been teaching instructors how to teach for several years and the problem you are encountering is not uncommon. It is possible that part of the problem is the placement of the mic in conjuncture with your mouth. Assuming you are using a headset mic and the volume level of the mic is correct, it is possible that either you do not have the head of the mic (where the sound goes in) turned towards your mouth. It is also possible that you don't have it close enough to your mouth.

I find this particularly important when teaching step because there is so much cueing. Often times, when teaching step, if the cueing is crucial, I will hold the mic with one hand towards my mouth to make sure they hear all the cues. Also, during class, I often find that I reach up and adjust the mic towards my mouth because the bouncing around causes it to "fall away" from my mouth.

I hope that helps and good luck!

THANK YOU! That definitely does help! I'm finding my way slowly but surely, every little bit of extra pointers I'll take though, so thank you!!

Not Cathe, either...
I have been teaching PE, coaching, and teaching fitness classes for years and, to be honest, it takes awhile to adjust your voice. I actually do not use a mic anymore, but my first year of teaching, I lost my voice all of the time. Now, I can yell with the best of them! ha
Make sure to practice belly breathing. Not only does it help with talking louder, it also helps you simply to talk during the workouts with huffing and puffing. That really helps me a lot.

Good luck - you will love it!!

Not Cathe, either...
I have been teaching PE, coaching, and teaching fitness classes for years and, to be honest, it takes awhile to adjust your voice. I actually do not use a mic anymore, but my first year of teaching, I lost my voice all of the time. Now, I can yell with the best of them! ha
Make sure to practice belly breathing. Not only does it help with talking louder, it also helps you simply to talk during the workouts with huffing and puffing. That really helps me a lot.

Good luck - you will love it!!

Ok, that's what I need - how do I "belly breathe" LOL??

Ok, that's what I need - how do I "belly breathe" LOL??

To practice:
Lay down on your back with your hands gently over your stomach. Try to breath in to expand your tummy ONLY!! Try to leave your chest out of it. Your chest should not raise at all once you get used to belly breathing.
So, you are trying to raise your hands/belly without raising your chest. :)
My chest rarely raises unless I am done with an anaerobic activity and just for a second. I never even think about it anymore, either.
Belly breathing allows you to take less breaths...
Let me know if you try it!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.