Cathe--How do I train myself to use a 6 in step height?

kala44

Hi Cathe,
I love doing IMAX 3 and Low Max, but being an intermediate exerciser and someone who still has quite a bit of weight to loose (about 50 pounds or so), I cannot do either workout completely with a 6 in. step. I really want to be able to do this, but I'm not sure how I should go about training myself for it and how long it should take me. What is your advice for how I should do this? I tried doing Low Max yesterday with 6 in. for the first time and I got through interval 3 before my legs could barely carry me any more and I had to go back down to 4 in.
Thanks for your input, and I just want to tell you that doing your workouts has really changed my life! I'm doing your March rotation for fat burning and I'm already seeing/feeling some progress, and I'm only in the first week!!! I'm so grateful!!

RE: Cathe--How do I train myself to use a 6 in step hei...

Karen, there is no reason you can't use the 4" platform for any of the step workouts as long as it is challenging YOU. Some people just do combos or blasts on the floor, but I've always found using the platform as a marker helped. Just keep moving! And having fun.

Debra

Hello!

Debra is right, there's no loss of face involved in using the 4" platform whatsoever. There's no ccompetition here. We all do what we can and push ourselves just a little bit harder when we can to provide that extra challenge to increase our fitness level. We are all starting out at different fitness levels and heights, so what is a challenge for some (6" or 8") may be overwhelming for you, and that is not good at all. Never do what others are doing just because you feel like you should. Always do whatever is appropriate for you, with a little challenge included to keep you moving onwards and upwards on your fitness journey.

Stick with the 4" step for several months, keep on doing Low Max and Imax 3 until you know them like the back of your hand and you can do them with "relative" (for Imax 3!!!) ease.

Once you reach that point where you feel that you are sailing through the air with these workouts and you can do them, "no sweat!" each time, then try upping the step to 6" with Low Max. Try it on a day after a rest day, when you are feeling stronger. If you manage half of the workout only at this height, that's fine, then drop back down to 4" to finish out. Gradually, each time you do the workout, you promise yourself to get through one more blast cycle at the higher step level, until you complete the whole workout on 6".

Only once you have mastered this and maintained it for a month or two should you attempt the same with Imax 3, and again, follow the "do as much as you can and then drop down" rule as before.

Good luck!

Clare

Karen, As Debra and Clare mentioned, don't feel obligated to use a 6" step.

I'm doing IMAX3 on a 4" step (with LOTS of modifications because I don't want all that impact--definitely no jumping down OFF the step to the floor). I get a fun and effective workout even at that height. I might go to 6" at some point...but maybe not!

There's absolutely nothing wrong with your "do as much as you can at 6", then move to 4". And it's a good idea to do the workout a first time at a lower step height, while you're getting used to the moves.

I have been stepping for 2 years and am 44 years old. I have always used a 4 inch step height UNTIL last week *right after my b'day*! I put in Step Heat and used 6 inches. Then, I did Cardio and Weights on 6 inches. I don't think I will use 6 on everything but it was kind of cool to do it. I did not feel pressure and always felt I was getting a great workout on 4 inches. Do what feels right on your body!:)

Hi Karen! Congratulations on your rotation progress. You are right on track as to how to work up to using a 6 inch step height. Do as much as you can on 6 and then switch to 4 for the rest. As your body gets conditioned, you will be able to do more and more on 6 inches. If you would like, you could also do the whole workout on 4 inches for two weeks and GIVE IT YOUR ALL for ultimate conditioning and acclimation. Then after two weeks start substituting with the 6 inch height here and there. Good luck!

PS....It is important to point out that if you are very challenged on 4 inches then stay with 4 inches. Only graduate up to 6 inches if you feel that 4 inches is no longer the same challenge to you.

Oh my gosh. I never thought about using a shorter step! I want to thank Karen for her question and Cathe for having her Forum.
I'm 51 and new to Cathe as of only a few months.
I purched the Blast, Intensity and now the Hard Core's.
FitPrime's & running were my "drugs" of choice for the past year and a half and I did the old Firms before that for 8 years.
I wanted to challenge myself mentally by trying step and Cathe came highly recommended as the next "step" and now I'm hooked!
I've been struggling through Hard Core Intensity 3 with the 6" step and I didn't want to wimp out but I was worried about getting needlessly injured from pushing too hard.
I feel so much better knowing I can start out with 4" and work up.
Imax 3 is the hardest workout I've ever done and the greatest physical and mental challage I've had since I was 22 and worked on a fish processor boat in Alaska!
Cocob1/ Keebieb at Ya Ya's/ Coco at Fit Prime (50+ check in) and Colleen in real life

I would like to thank everyone (especially Cathe) for their replies to my question. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one that does the workouts on a 4" step, and that I'm on the right track as far as getting myself to being able to use a 6" step.
Thanks again!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.