Cathe, do you consider...

jennifermaria

Cathlete
Hi Cathe!!

Do you consider your circuit-style workouts (especially your new ones, LIC and Drill Max) to have enough cardio to be considered cardio workouts as well as being weight workouts?

I try to incorporate cardio 3x/week and strength 2x/week (which leaves me 1x/week for yoga and 1 rest day :)), so I'd be curious to know if I can kill two birds with one stone when I do the circuit workouts and maybe use that to incorporate more yoga in my week, or possibly other total body weight (non-circuit style) work...

Thanks in advance :)

Jennifer

PS Can't wait to try the new workouts!! I've previewed them and they look incredible!

Hi Jennifer, not Cathe but I've done Body Max 2, Drill Max and Low Impact Circuit so far and I definitely think they have enough cardio to be considered cardio workouts as well as weight workouts. I just finished Drill Max this morning and burned 577 calories. Body Max 2 burned 795 calories. I think you could incorporate an extra day of yoga in to your routine without a problem.

Marcy

Hi, Marcy. Have to agree with you -- Cathe's Drill Max and Body Max 2, I think definitely qualify as cardio workouts. But I am just curious, how do you know precisely how many calories are burned? I would love to measure what I burn doing various Cathe workouts. Thanks! Ann

Hi Jennifer! My personal feeling is that if you are looking for a true cardio or true weight workout benefits as we know them, then you really just need to do a cardio specific or weight specific workout.

That being said...I designed both of these circuit workouts to include a leg cardio exercise right after the "classic" cardio portion to extend the cardio benefits. In addition to that, the high energy pace of these workouts remains constant to help keep your heartrate from dropping too low.

Another thing to keep in mind is that sometimes stepping out of a comfort zone and doing a workout your body is not used to doing, provides more overall fitness benefits, (especially through the initial adaptation phase) then doing a workout your body is already very adapted to doing.

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much, Cathe!! :)

I am definitely not looking to use circuits as my primary form of cardio and/or weights long-term--I'd miss all my weight-only and cardio-only DVDs :). But I think it might be fun to do a circuits & yoga type of rotation for a few weeks to get some variety into my routine.

I love that you've given us so many types of workouts to choose from so we never get bored! :)

Jennifer

I generally like to separate cardio and weights, but I do use circuits when I miss a workout. That way I can get the benefits of both and keep to my schedule. Also these workouts have pre-mixes so you can separate the weights and cardio if you want.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.