cathe.bizarre

bitmover

Cathlete
I used to work for a company called MIPS and then they were acquired by Silicon Graphics. This was in the days before the internet, so we had usenet newsgroups. One internal group was mips.bizarre and then sgi.bizarre, and people just posted random, bizarre things there. Well, here's my random cathe.bizarre post for the evening.

Help! I've lost my dvd remote! How can a person lose a remote?! I swear I left it on the couch after ME this morning. My dvd player will not work without that remote. How am I to work out in the morning?!

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled interesting posts....... (and yes, I've checked the refrigerator!)

-Beth

My DVD player will not work without the remote. :confused: How stupid is that?

Let us know where you find it. Things turn up in the oddest places. :p

Do you have a cabinet you keep your DVD's in? Or do you open your entertainment center when you do your DVD's? Maybe you stuck it in one of those places.

Annie

Places where I have found my remote:

- refrigerator
- freezer
- on top of the refrigerator
- in the pantry
- on top of the washing machine
- on the patio
- in the bathroom
- in my bedroom or study
- on the kitchen counter or kitchen table

Mind you, it is my DH who misplaces the darn thing. He carries it all over the place and it drives me out of my mind! :eek:

I can't reprogram the clock on the living room DVD bc Vlad ate the clicker. Do you have a dog? Did you look inside the dog? I can play DVDs and such w/ the universal remote from DirectTv, but I can't program the clock. Now I just have lines --:--

Did you look in the fridge, the cabinet next to the PB, the bathroom, under and in the couch, under the entertainment center, and in the drawer/cabinet w/ the DVDs? It'll turn up!

Nan

I have looked in all those places! Well, ok, not inside the dog!!! ;) I was even so desperate a while ago, partially because my kids were fighting and driving me totally nuts, that I offered the first kid who found it $5. I realized this could backfire on me with them hiding it purposely in the future, but I really thought that would divert the fighting. It did not, and still no remote! It is so stupid that they won't work without the remote. My backup plan is to use the laptop that is still sitting there from when the last dvd player died. Ug -- technology! Anyway, I knew you all could -- and would! -- sympathize! Thank you!

One evening I had a mega workout session planned when DH was going out with the boys. I had all my equipment and dvds lined up, I was in my workout clothes and ready to go. You guessed it, no remote in sight. DH was the last one to have used it and after 20 minutes of searching I called him. He had left his cell so I got even more frustrated when I heard it ring. I called one of the friends with him, by this point in a total panic, and when I finally got him on the phone basically screamed at him. His friends thought there was a major emergency. Little did they know that for me it was an emergency. The remote was on top of a ceiling to floor painting we have in the workout room. I never would have found it as it was almost to high for me to even reach and at an angle where I couldn't see it.

I think all devices that come with a remote (and that won't work without it, or don't have all functions on the device itself) should come with a 'remote finder" button on the device. Then, if you misplace it, you just hit the button and the remote beeps.

As for where it might be: can you retrace your activities the last time you saw it?

Did you look between and behind the cushions of the sofa and chairs? (mine slips in there sometimes).

Gabrielle, I thought you were going to say that hubby took the remote thinking it was his cell phone!! You're lucky he remembered.

Kathryn, yes, I'm with you -- I swear I have tried clapping it into existence (the clapper, you know?). The problem is, I was away with son #1 all day, so my 7 year old was home and he swears he didn't touch it, but hmmmm, it's nowhere to be found. To be honest, I'm sort of wondering if maybe I put it in the recycling or the trash that has already been driven the mile & a half up our road it needs to be for tomorrow morning's pickup.

I have the laptop all set up for my workout tomorrow. We are leaving for vacation sometime in the day tomorrow (if all goes well). This will haunt me the whole time I'm gone. :p Honestly, I've already thought about whether or not I might be able to order a replacement. Maybe it'll turn up. At least I can work out!

In the DOG!!! ROFLMAO :D:D:D:D:D:D

I had a whole post ready about the stupidity of having to have the remote to work all this crazy technology but I am still laughing about the DOG!!!!!!!!!

ellie

I think all devices that come with a remote (and that won't work without it, or don't have all functions on the device itself) should come with a 'remote finder" button on the device. Then, if you misplace it, you just hit the button and the remote beeps.

As for where it might be: can you retrace your activities the last time you saw it?

Did you look between and behind the cushions of the sofa and chairs? (mine slips in there sometimes).

How dare you suggest a company think ahead and do anything logical! :p;)

I have found my remote mostly in my doggie's mouth or buried outside! Covered in dirt and slobber...oh dear Lord!

Places where I have found my remote:

- refrigerator
- freezer
- on top of the refrigerator
- in the pantry
- on top of the washing machine
- on the patio
- in the bathroom
- in my bedroom or study
- on the kitchen counter or kitchen table

Mind you, it is my DH who misplaces the darn thing. He carries it all over the place and it drives me out of my mind! :eek:

Hmmm, you guys are really making me wonder...... did Gina the wonder dog run off with my remote?! :D Stranger things have happened!!

I did my workout using the tiny laptop this morning -- it worked, I guess......

thanks for the suggestions, and thanks for the laughs!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.