Cathe: an easy to grant "HardCore" music request

jozybaby

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,

I've been following the debate over music selections for the new series and saw your response that because musical tastes vary widely, you will do what's best for the workouts. Obviously, that approach makes the most sense BUT ... ;)

I am a person who simply *cannot* do a workout that has non-descript music or music that doesn't have a lot of bass or a strong downbeat. (Many incredible workouts sit on my shelf because the music is lacking.) While I enjoyed the music on the Intensities best of all, I didn't mind the disco on the Blast Series ... except for Super Sets/Push and Pull. I can't force myself to *work* as hard to "soft rock classics." It simply wasn't energizing enough.

I guess that I'm *begging* that you use music (of whatever variety of course :) ) with a strong downbeat, a lot of bass and a lot of character on the new series. Especially "Lo Max" which I now dream about nightly!

Thank you for your kind consideration.

RE: Cathe: an easy to grant

I completely agree-- sometimes, good music (with a strong beat) is what keeps me going to the very end! I hope the new workouts have a strong beat as well. That's why I love some of Cathe's old videos, but did not like Super Sets/Push Pull as much. The mellow music on those workouts were not energizing enough, although I like that type of music when I'm not working out. And in my case some of the songs reminded me of my ex-boyfriend (for me, that's not a good thing!) So that's my two cents.:)

I second that - one of the reasons why I love Imax 2 so much (even though it is a killer of a workout!) is because the music is so upbeat and lively! It almost takes my focus off the pain I'm experiencing!

Josie

Yes, I agree. I prefer the music on the Intensity series over the ones on Body Blast because it is energetic and upbeat. I did Imax2 yesterday, and the music played a big part in making the interval blasts so much bearable.

I can't explain it either. While I know that for some people music in their workouts is a secondary concern, I really need strong music. Not only do I need to *like* the music, I have to *feel* it (If that makes sense!) :)

Especially when the going gets tough. And with Cathe, the going is *usually* tough! :D That's why I love her workouts. So I'm hoping for big thumping bass in the HardCore Series!

Goes to show you that it's impossible to please everybody when it comes to music (or anything for that matter). I liked the music in both series. If I had to pick a favorite it would be the music from BB over the IS music (except the 'linger' song - I just never liked that song)
Dawn W

I totally agree. I need strong music also. It definitely gives me the motivation to get through those reallly tough parts! Keep it coming Cathe!:)

Dawn,

Thing is, I think Cathe *can* please everybody! :D My asking for music with strong bass and character still leaves the field wide open for different types/genres of music. I was just asking for particular "characteristics" in *whatever kind* of music Cathe chooses.

That way, she can please several musical tastes (including her own) but give those of us who are "music freaks" what we need to get through the workouts. :)

Hey Dawn, my DH the bass player agrees with you completely & totally! He allows that there is NEVER enough bass in any workout music he's ever heard. I wonder why he feels that way? LOL;-)

Anyway, I agree with you that the genre of music is secondary to the strong beat. (It's got a good beat & I can dance to it. Anybody remember that? Am I giving away my age? ;-) )

However, I can do any Cathe workout, music or no music. But naturally I would prefer that driving beat! Thanks for the great suggestion.

I PREFER THE MUSIC OF THE INTENSITY SERIES THAN THE BODY BLAST. I LIKE BOTH BUT I PREFER THE MUSIC OF THE INTENSITY SERIES. I LOVE BOOTCAMP, ME AND IMAX 2 MUSIC THE MOST.:) :)

If anything, at least put in the "no Music" option that is on some of the DVD's so that we can play whatever we want, if the one on the DVD is not to our liking!

I also want to request upbeat music. I loved the Intesity series music. Some of the Blast music dealt with break-ups, Looking down from Heaven, You are Not Alone (which I can barely do Super Sets as it makes me cry remembering my miscarriage). The songs just weren't as "happy". I love the workouts, just not the music.

Hi Hotchick here,

I have not posted for ages, but just visited the forum to see what is going on.
I second, third, fourth etc, the request for strong driving upbeat music, as I also love the Intensities.
I would go so far as to say they are my favorites, followed by PS series, S&H series, CTX series music, CM/CK music, oh, and I do love kick punch and crunch dvd, but I stayed away from the rest of blast series as the music was not hardcore enough for me to workout to.
Though I really am excited about the new series, so another request for upbeat driving music Cathe, Bring it on please!.

Hotchick:7

I'm glad that it's not just me. :) I know that Cathe has heard lots of criticisms about the BB series and the music but I haven't meant my comments in that way. Rather, I posted here because I know that she listens to her consumers and tries to please a diverse (and growing) group.

And, truth be told, as I do SS more, the music gets better for me (especially when I crank the bass). Still PP is "underdone" at my house because the bass just won't come through in these songs. It doesn't *drive* me.

I am a new Cathe devotee. I have few complaints and much praise: a good set, continuing creativity, good workouts and most importantly *results.* And, on top of all that, I'm confident that my voice is heard here and my comments taken how they are given ... with respect.

I have to jump in here and say that everyone has SUCH diverse taste in music. I don't think people realize how incredibly difficult it is to please everyone in this area. Some people like music with a strong driving beat and others do not. I had the opportunity to instruct for a couple of years in the recent past and this is one area that really annoyed me about teaching. I spent a bunch of money on music and some people didn't like it, SOOOOO, I bought different music and other people didn't like it. I guess for me the bottom line is that if the workout is good, thats all I care about. I cannot stand the music in P90x and I cannot stand the way that Tony Horton is sooo off beat and can't stay on it to save his life. BUT I love the workouts, his and Cathe's, and music sometimes has to be lower on the priority list. Just my two cents.

Thanks Kristie,

I certainly can appreciate your perspective as both as a consumer and a professional. I can certainly understand the difficulty of trying to satisfy the widely diverse musical tastes of a large group. Again, that's why I suggested "musical characteristics" instead of genres/titles/etc.

Still, I can't agree that music has to be secondary to the workout. In fact, Cathe (and others) have done a brilliant job of demonstrating
just how *integral* music is (and should be) to the workout. That's why, *despite* how effective they evidently are, I'll never get through a Power90 Workout. My Slim in Six series has been traded as has any other workout in which the music is tacked on, weak and not synchronized to movement.

I just can't do them. Period.

What is ironic about this discussion of course is that Cathe set the bar high for quality workouts with great music. Despite the cacophony of voices, she should hear what consumers like best about her work and what *didn't* work for them. Then she can (and should) make up her mind about what is best for her product and how she will go forward.

I want to 2cents as well!!--not that I expect anyone to agree or even care what I think:) I totally get pumped up to much heavier music, which I know not everyone likesx( !! But it seems like a name like Hardcore Series calls for a hardcore soundtrack!!! I know when I used to be a member at Gold's gym when I was away at college, I went early in the morning when there weren't a lot of other people there, so the employees let me pick a cd for them to play throughout the gym while I worked out--it was always something heavy, like White Zombie, Metallica, Ozzy, or some crazy 80's hair band tunes!! Everybody there loved it and got crazy-pumped up to lift some weights!!! Now theat I'm addicted to Cathe, I do know that I miss out on the adrenaline rush that I used to get when I played my own music during my home weight workouts. I know that when the ACDC/I Wanna Rock techno-mix-whatever-it-is-thing starts on KPC I seem to kick and punch a little bit harder!!!! Just my thoughts--I love you Cathe!!! You're my hero!!:7

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.