cathe after br ca

laspark

This question is for those who have lost lymph nodes in their fight with breast cancer. How many sets can one safely do strength training with one of her videos?

October is breast cancer awareness month. Treat all lumps as if their cancerous until proven otherwise. If the lump does not go away, it should come OUT.

I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question, but it made me curious. I had all my pelvic lymph nodes removed due to cervical cancer and haven't heard a thing about any restrictions on my exercise. You post has prompted me to do some research. If you get any answers, I'll be interested to read them.

I am three years cancer-free and haven't had any troubles so far! I've been working out since about 3 months after my hysterectomy and been doing Cathe for 6 months or so.

I had nine nodes taken out as part of my modified radical mastectomy last January.

Theoretically, any removal of any axillary nodes (even just one) puts you at risk for lymphedema. However, I have done the entire P90X rotation lifting all the weights I wanted, and using the bands. I only went above 15 pounds for one exercise (the lawnmowers). I have also lifted barbells at 25 pounds to about 35 pounds.

The advised limit is usually set at about lifting no more than 15 pounds.

I was very conservative about push-ups though, doing mostly little girl ones, since it puts your whole body weight on your arms. I did get better at it though.

Your doctor is you best source of info, and then decide how you feel, and act accordingly!

There is mucho informacion RE: lymphedema on the web.

Good Luck!

Not really. I did as many as I could do, and didn't wait until the big "burn". I stop for a bit at fatigue, shake it out and continue. I take breaks when I need them, even if it's just a rep or two.

Quite frankly, I do think some of the stuff on the Cathe workouts are a little much, so I just ignore them.

I try not to live in fear of waking up the next day with a 20 pound arm. I do avoid really hot water in the shower and really tight sleeves. I wear a compression sleeve and glove when going on an airplane, and cannot soak in a hot tub (not that I did it ever before). I do measure around my biceps every so often to check ofr changes in my left arm, but so far so good!

I do a little body brushing on left arm each night before my shower, too. Just light strokes with my right fingertips from my left hand up to my left shoulder.

It's hard to explain, but you're body will tell you when you've done enough - as it aways has. I try not to get down on myself when I can't "do what Cathe does", after all, she's not dealing with the body I have.

I notice with static stretching and yoga, that I get very tingly up and down my left arm for a while until I get "into" my workouts.

I have no evidence to support such a claim, but my masseuse friend tells me the nodes will eventually work their way into attaching themselves to other nodes. She says think of your body as an office building and the seventh floor just lost their trash cans and their cleaning crew. Yeah, the trash from the seventh floor will get dumped, but it'll just take the rest of the building crew to figure out how to get it done.

Oh yeah - I hated drinking water before, but now I'm a H2O junkie. That helps a lot too.

The LT. side with the nodes removed make me feel like I am sweating under my arms, but in the inside. It is uncomfortable and smells like I am not wearing deodorant. It has been a week since the surgery.

I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying you've had nodes removed, or you've had breast cancer surgery including removal of nodes? Or BC surgery with sentinel node biopsy?

My "good arm" has felt sweaty in the armpit since everything has happened, but not on the inside, like you say. Do mean like under the skin? This is very curious! I don't feel anything under my left arm since my surgery. Since radiation, even the hair hasn't grown back.

What's happening with you? I am intrigued now.

Susan L.G.

I have Lymphedema and continue to lift weights (* a bit lighter than before* ) one tip, get a rebounder, I got one and it has been the best thing yet! My PT was amazed at how well it worked, I wrap my arm when I do weights as well............

Ronnie!

There you are, girl! I emailed you awhile back and I hadn't heard anything!

Glad to see you're kicking around on the boards!

Susan L.G.

I had breast cancer surgery with sentinel node biopsy. I also did a subcantaneous masecectomy on the right. It was positive, so he removed all. He can tell me how many he took out tomorrow. I feel the sweat dripping under the skin. I do not see any sweat dripping down my side. Under bad armpit, it feels spongy.

Tia

Tia,

You are completely in my thoughts. I hope can say I completely understand. I was diagnosed last September, 2005. This time last year I didn't have any hair and was just at the beginning of my cancer journey. There are many other survivors on this board, who are happily working out to Cathe (probably more aggresively than I am) too!

What is a subcutaneous mastectomy? Is that like a lumpectomy?

I am wondering if what you feel is actually drainage, not sweat. Do you have one or two plastic bulbs coming out of the incision, filling with reddish liquid? Drainage doesn't have a great smell.

My armpit felt spongy too. I mean, when I touched it. Like I said, I didn't feel anything undermy arm per se, just the most overt touching, or strangely enough, the lightest touch.

My BC armpit looks different than my healthy side. You can tell something's missing under there and it's become tight since I started exercising again. It's not painful and I do have full range of motion; it's just uncomfy sometimes.

But please ALLOW YOURSELF TIME TO HEAL! Try not to fret over the Workouts right now. Your energy goes into your healing right now. I know some ladies here kept working out to Cathe while they healed, albeit, lightly. I chose to keep riding my horse and gave up the workouts.

Did your Doctor tell you about doing your stretches for your arm as soon as you can, to prevent "frozen shoulder"?

This sounds stupid, but are you living in the USA? Someone should have contacted you from the American Cancer Society to see if you would like a Reach to Recovery volunteer to come and talk to you.

If you wanted to continue this conversation privately rather than on the boards, please feel free to email me! I would love to talk, if you need it!

OK, enough lecture from me!

XOXO from a fellow survivor!
Susan L.G.

Susan,

Subcantaneous masec. is when you keep the skin and nipple. I have 3 drains. Two on the ca side. I have contacted ACS re: a reach to recovery volunteer. I wanted to talk to someone who has a history of breast ca in the family. I am only at the beginning, and I am already worrying about ovarian ca. The doc did have pt give me some excercise to do.

thanks,

Tia
[email protected]

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.